iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Blade Performance

Started by Tree Feller, May 27, 2013, 11:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I have a fully manual mill and haven't been sawing long so take that into consideration.

I had been using 10 degree bands from the mfg...Logmaster. I recently purchased ten, 10 degree bands from Cooks ( a sponsor here) and was pleasantly surprised at the performance. With one band I sawed a half-dozen or so ERC logs that ranged from 12" to 30" in diameter plus an 18" diameter Hickory log. The Hickory alone yielded over 100 BF and there was probably another 300 bf of ERC. While ERC  is a moderately hard wood, it also has a high silica content which can dull blades quickly. I was impressed with the Cook's blade performance.

I like my little LM-1 mill and Logmaster has been very supportive even though I bought the mill used. However, I have not been satisfied with their band performance and the recent performance of the Cooks band has made me a convert, FWIW.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

Cook's has been a good blade for me as well. I did have a bad batch a year or so back, but only a few blades, from here, it has been Cook's only because I like the way I can resharp them,  I hope all continues well for you,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

delvis

On my old mill I was using Cook's Super Sharp blades exclusively and loved them.  I have yet to try them on the Woodmizer but I would like to eventually.  I haven't talked to anyone who owns a Log Master, but would like to see one of those mills up close.  They have some pretty neat ideas in their bigger mills.  Look to be built very heavy and strong.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Thank You Sponsors!