iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Broke my Stick

Started by Magicman, May 27, 2013, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I know that it would not be a big deal if you broke your stick but this was my stick.   :-\

I carry a 1"X2¼"X68" stick that I use for a clamping spacer.  This was only my third one since I started sawing.  I lost the first which was Red Oak.  The second was White Oak and it bowed.  This Cherry stick had held up very well, but I got ahead of myself and lowered the clamp before releasing it.  The clamp held, but my stick did not and broke.

No fixing that stick.  I mark them so that they will not accidentally go into the slab pile.

My new freshly marked QS Red Oak stick on the right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimGA

I understand the loss of a good friend. My sincere condolences.
                                     Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Ga Mtn Man

Sorry for your loss, MM.

The red paint on your new stick looks an awful lot like blood.  Maybe not the best choice around a sawmill. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

clww

I think I know how you're feeling, Lynn. :'( I crushed my favorite saw-gas can with a tree several  years ago, after using it for many, many years. I almost cried.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: clww on May 27, 2013, 07:12:35 PM
I think I know how you're feeling, Lynn. :'( I crushed my favorite saw-gas can with a tree several  years ago, after using it for many, many years. I almost cried.

Tree crushed my favorite saw last fall, got it stuck... tree was hollow this I didn't know  lol

Peter Drouin

To bad for your old stick, the new one looks nice.
Do you edge one board at a time?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lyle niemi

The stick is in a better place now

lyle niemi

Iffin ya send me 500 clams, I could make ya a new one made from Canuckian wood...lol

bandmiller2

Funny how we get attached to something as simple as a stick of wood. I have two 2x3" oak pieces to  roll logs from my dead deck to the mill. I hide them for fear someone will throw them in the slab pile. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 27, 2013, 08:06:26 PMDo you edge one board at a time?
Not intentionally, but occasionally when whittling down a stack of flitches I will get down to one or two and will use the spacer stick.  MY normal sawing rhythm is to edge the flitches from each log before I start on another log.  If there are only two or three, I will set them aside and edge them with the next log's flitches.  Even then, sometimes it works down to only one or two and rather than handling them again, I reach for my stick.

lyle,  go ahead and sent the Canuckian wood stick.  Poston will deliver the Benjamins cause he had more than I had.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

That Cherry stick was not as old as I thought it was.

In August of 2009, I was still using the White Oak stick.  It is obvious here that I was edging only one board which was not very productive.   :-\

Peter Drouin

I do the same thing and stack them and do them before the next log but most times I leave one piece of edging that was cut off  the flitche on the deck to do that , to clamp one or two flitches .so I have a new stick with new flitches
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Sorry about your stick, I have used mine for many years as well, just not that long of one, and for the question of one or multiple flitches, I use mine for a load of flitches, just like the way it holds,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

Why is it every time I see a Woodmizer older than 6 months the dang thing turns pink ?Allis Chalmers also painted orange never turned pink .

WoodenHead

This is perhaps a dumb question, but I was wondering just how far the clamp goes in?  I assume it can't clamp a 1" flitch without a stick?

Jim H

If I don't have any left over strips close by I just turn the top of the clamp to the side so that it will contact a single board.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Magicman

The only dumb question is an unasked question.  I can clamp two inches but not 1½.

As David mentioned above, the stick turned sideways does provide some support and will keep the clamp from bending the lumber.

A 2X4 stud works very well, but it is not as handy and as easy to handle.

drobertson

I just believe anything that keeps the boards straight and square is a good thing, and it is with my mill that anything under 1" will not clamp.  This said, a parallel Is a good thing for  most edging. You can flip it up for the 3-1/2 inch support or lay it flat for the bats that might need to be cut to 2" or so.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WoodenHead

With the manual LT28 I had and now with the manual LT40, some widths require no stick with the clamp, and some require a stick, and some work best with a stick.  My stick is a piece of one by one that is a small piece of edging (I edge on the mill) typically about six inches long.  The stock of little sticks is constantly being replenished and I store multiples of them in the various under parts of the mill (on the axle, under the bunks, etc.). 

Hopefully soon I will be converting to the two-plane clamp.  So I was a bit surprised to hear that a stick is still needed.  I thought I would be getting away from that.  :D  Now I'll have to find myself a professional looking stick.   :)

dboyt

MM, let me know the dimensions and I'll mill you one out of hedge.  It'll be the last one you'll ever need (unless you saw into it).  No charge.  Small payment for the good advice you've posted here!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Bibbyman

We have and use an edger but edge long or heavy stuff on the mill.  When we do, we saw until the cant is short enough to put the flitches up against it. We edge the flitches and then complete sawing the cant.  Done.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

downsouth

Thanks for the tip Bibb. Good idea.
    Sorry to hear about your stick MM.

pineywoods

HHmmm, I thought I invented that trick  ;D My pineywoods clamp won't clamp down less than 6 inches, so I keep a chunk of oak 1X4 handy. I do need to paint it like MM, else it gets thrown in the scrap pile....IF I'm cutting 4/4 stuff, I saw the cant down to 4 inches, the stand the flitches up beside the cant and clamp them there.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bibbyman

Maybe I got the idea from you?   Well no,  a long time Wood-Mizer owner (300? customer number) teached me that trick. 

Wood-Mizer advanced training does it a little different in that they push the cant out and clamp the flitches between the cant and back supports. This will do a better job of keeping the flitches standing up straight.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ely

i know your feelings lynn, i keep 3 different boards laying under my mill for various clamping/space filling duties... i had those boards for alot of years and on occaision one comes up missing. my dad says i am nuts for carrying on about them, it is frustrating.

Thank You Sponsors!