iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

evergreens..

Started by HiTech, May 27, 2013, 06:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Was looking at some sites where they cut evergreens (pine, spruce, hemlock, etc.) and it looks like an atom bomb went off there. They took everything. Must be there is a good market for chips. I have the strangest feeling these stands will not reseed themselves but hardwoods will probably come up. Well at least the blackberries will be good in a couple years. lol Most of the land is state owned and it surprises me they cut it to that extent. Must be a reason for it.

Ianab

A lot of softwoods like that will ONLY regenerate from a clear cut. The natural scheme of things is the forest matures, then either catches fire, or gets flattened by a storm, and starts growing again from the ruins. Rinse and repeat. If you try and do selective cuts then the regeneration is different shade tolerant species, and you change the whole make up of the forest. Maybe towards lower value shade tolerant species.

All that the clear cut is doing is replicating that natural process.

Of course it does look like a bomb went off, and the greenies all run around in a panic saying the forest has been destroyed and we are all doomed. But come back in a couple of years and it will be covered with head high pine or cedar trees again. Wait 50 years and it's ready for another harvest. Rinse and repeat.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HiTech

Ianab, never thought of it that way. Never cut much in the way of evergreen trees. Cut some Red Pine once and that was about it. I never see a tree you could bend as far as Red Pine and not have it break. Cut mostly hardwood logs and firewood. Did cut some pulp a few times but most of it was Poplar with some Spruce. Too darn many limbs on the Evergreens. lol Thanks for your input.

Forrest277

Quote from: Ianab on May 27, 2013, 07:01:02 AM
A lot of softwoods like that will ONLY regenerate from a clear cut. The natural scheme of things is the forest matures, then either catches fire, or gets flattened by a storm, and starts growing again from the ruins. Rinse and repeat. If you try and do selective cuts then the regeneration is different shade tolerant species, and you change the whole make up of the forest. Maybe towards lower value shade tolerant species.

All that the clear cut is doing is replicating that natural process.

Of course it does look like a bomb went off, and the greenies all run around in a panic saying the forest has been destroyed and we are all doomed. But come back in a couple of years and it will be covered with head high pine or cedar trees again. Wait 50 years and it's ready for another harvest. Rinse and repeat.

Ian

I see it all the time here _ species like Oak or Chestnut will regrow from a stump, there are some mad huge circle stands that on examination emminate from the same root stock at the centre _ often six or seven trees now standing around an old stump that may have been cut several times before.

After that _ Pines etc , well have you ever wondered why they produce all those CONES ? guess what, seeds re_ grow into trees ! and you dont have to do anything but wait.

I studied botany, and there is so much myth about harvesting wood.

Never forget mother nature is so much stronger and will out last us all.

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

Thank You Sponsors!