iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The (Lucas Mill) Adventure Begins...

Started by JohnM, May 26, 2013, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

...with a 7hr roadtrip! 8)

Packed and ready to go.

That's my homemade rack.  It was put on the back burner and sat for a year or two.  Found a design flaw, the back 'strut' slips in and out but that let water get in the posts and freeze, 'puffing' out the post.

First stop, I found the LLBean boot. :D

Bit of overnight snow in the White Mountains! :o  Any of you guys down south jealous? ;D

Had warmed up by the time I came through...sorta. ::)

A ferry ride across Lake Champlain.  (Kinda wish I had brought the boys.)

And my room for the night.  It's a Mircotel, simple and does what it's supposed to, I like it. :)

Heading back tomorrow with one more stop to make. ;)  (maybe two stops)

More to come...   (likely not til Tue smiley_sleeping)

JM

PS Have a good Memorial Day (happy memorial day doesn't make sense ::)).  Remember those you've lost and hug those you haven't.  (I get all sappy when I'm away from my wife and kids. :D)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Quote from: JohnM on May 26, 2013, 10:15:44 PMA ferry ride across Lake Champlain.
That looks like the Lake Champlain ferry that we used.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I hope one stop will be Save A Lot.  ;D  I'm still busting at the seams.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

He said likely Tues, so I guess that we will wait until tomorrow.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

And now, the rest of the story... ;D

A bit of back story first.  Went to the Logging Expo Friday before last and met several FF members, including thecfarm.  Ray and I spent the whole day checking out all the vendors, mills and equipment.  We ran in to GDinMaine, who is a friend/neighbor of mine.  (I know I've mentioned that before but I'm trying to tell a story here!  >:( ;) :D)  Fast-forward to 10pm that evening, in bed already, tired from walking around all day and need to be at work in the morning.  The phone rings!  "Who *&^# is that! >:(", I 'calmly' proclaim to my lovely bride. ;D  It's non other than GDinMaine, he's found a CL ad in upstate NY for a used Lucas 830 w/ slabbing attachment.  (Sidenote: GD has an uncanny knack for finding deals on CL or other such sites.  I swear it borders on clairvoyance. :o)  I thank him, hang up, get online, write the seller an email, "Very interested" (understatement!) and I'll call after work.

That made for a very looooong day at work!  Even had my wife call him in the middle of the day for details.  Called him that night, he agreed to hold it for me.  Took me a week to get the finances in order (Thank you, Aunt Ev!!!!).  Looooongest week of my life! ;) :D  The drive across Rt 2 (Northern New England) was a pretty poetic trip that summed up the week...lots of ups and downs and little sleep. ;)

The happy ending...or is it a beginning ???

Testing it out.  That's not me with the long hair, if my hair gets long enough to touch my ears I start slapping at my head like I'm covered in ants. :D

All loaded up.

Back across Lake Champlain.  MM there are several routes across, this was Grand Isle - Platsburgh I believe.

White Mountains living up to their name. 

And the first FF member to see my new toy, thecfarm.  We ended up talking more gardening than milling. :D

Back home.

(not sure this clip will work/is allowed?)<object width="100%" height="25" class="hark_player">
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_bar.swf?pid=bzltlwvlqy"/>

A big thank you to Sigidi, nomad, dgdrls, logboy, thecfarm and the FF community in general for any and all input and advice.  And thanks to Jeff for keeping this ship afloat.  And GD, thank you again!!

BTW only 84 hrs on the mill! 8) ;D :)

Now the work begins...can't wait!! ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Nomad

Congrats!  Now put it back together and get a log in the Dang thing! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

mobile demensia

Practically brand new! You must be like a kid at Christmas. Hours of fun ahead for you.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

ayerwood

Congrats JohnM!  I had a road trip when I bought my Lucas 827, so I know your excitement.  I have no regrets and love it every time I am making sawdust fly.  It is a great machine that will give you years of fun milling.  Enjoy!

Satamax

To get an idea, if it's no secret. How much did you pay for it?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

GDinMaine

Quote from: mobile demensia on May 28, 2013, 10:54:02 AM
You must be like a kid at Christmas.

Oh he is worse then that :D.  I just got home after helping him unload the mill from the truck.  I assume we will see pictures of some sawdust by this evening.  Good looking machine!  Congrats!
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go John. Now you will be slapping at your head to get the sawdust out.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

dukndog

Congrats on the new mill and the adventure in getting it!! Many piles of sawdust will soon be forming!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Klicker

8)Congrats on the  mill. I hope I can see it when I go through in Aug.
2006 LT 40 HD

thecfarm

I hope to make it to john's place this fall. I want to see that mill in action.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

O...M...G!!!  Why didn't anyone tell me this was so fun??!!  Oh, I guess you did. :-[

My oldest is excited now, knowing the mill means a tree house.  We'll see how he feels after tailing a few 2x6s. :)

This EWP has been sitting around for 2+ years, so wet I think Paul Bunyan could ring it out like a wet sponge.

The log was a little cockeyed so I didn't get a 'full recovery' but holy crap it was fun!

24 - 3/4x5.5(avg)x8' paneling for inside the chicken coop.  Made for a lot of cuts but all the repetition was good practice. ;D

Thank you all for the congrats.  BTW does Betty Ford have sawdust wing?

Quote from: Satamax on May 28, 2013, 12:38:12 PM
I guess I'd rather not say (no good reason why ???) but to suffice to say I could make money if I sold it next week.  And you're crazy if you I would! ;) :D :)

Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2013, 09:24:09 PM
I hope to make it to john's place this fall. I want to see that mill in action.
Quote from: Klicker on May 28, 2013, 09:14:44 PM
8)Congrats on the  mill. I hope I can see it when I go through in Aug.
Either of you are welcome any time!

JM

RedLeg

I guess I'll offer my congrats... reluctantly  :'( I had found his post on CL about two weeks ago posted in the Albany CL listing.  It wasn't labeled very well either.  I was hoping to go see it/buy it the middle of next month when I went back home to the family farm about 30 minutes away.  Money wasn't the issue but a 10 hour drive and time away from the office on no-notice left me hoping no one else would spy it.  When your first post appeared I told the other half that that was where you were headed.  Good luck with it.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

RedLeg

Quote from: Satamax on May 28, 2013, 12:38:12 PM

The CL ad had it listed at $10K, quite a deal if it was in good shape and with it including the Slabber attachment.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

ET

Congrats on your great find.  The learning curve isn't too bad. Once you get the hang of it the boards just fly off.  Do you already have a place to set it up inside?  I keep mine torn down in the garage and have to set up each time I use it.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WildDog

Congratulations JohnM your up for a lot of fun. Soon after I bought my 827 the 830 with side winder was released :( My oldest boy was 13 at the time, I have a lot of good memories milling with him. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Seaman

AWESOME    Another Lucas in the Gang. Well done Sir!
Keep us updated on the learning curve, we all learn from each others " adventures"

Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Gasawyer

Congratulations! Hope that you continue to enjoy the Lucas.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

Congrats on the mill and thanks for the adventure.   8)

And yes, Plattsburgh is where we crossed.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!