iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford F 250 5.4 engine issue

Started by MartyParsons, May 26, 2013, 09:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
We have a 03 F-250 with the 5.4 Triton Gas engine. Been having issues with the spark plugs blowing out. We have replaced all four on the drivers side. Well last week the spark plug blew out, this time with the insert I have been using. So now I have the Cab ( yes you remove the cab to replace the head or the engine)  :o off ready to replace the head or engine. The truck has 130,000 miles on it with no other issues no oil burning engine works good except for the spark plugs. I have a parts quote from F.M.C for $ 3000.00 for new heads and bolts and gaskets etc. Or I can replace the engine with a Reman for a little less money. The heads will be warrantied for 1 year and the engine has a three year warranty. Labor time is about the same. I can also purchase reman heads for about $400 each. 
We travel lots, the tow truck bill alone was $ 450.00. Thanks to AAA they covered this trip,  but they will only pay once a year.
The reman engine and the reman head will have the spark plugs repaired so I may be purchasing the same issue for the future.

So what do you think we should do?  The FF members have great insight! Thanks for reading. Let me hear what you think.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sawguy21

Short of upgrading to a 6.2 or replacing the truck there is not much else you can do. The early 5.4 heads had a reputation for that. Have to hope the reman shop took extra care in this are.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dutchman

I have a 99 F250, blew a plug @ 80,000 miles. Rather than putting an insert in, it  was passenger side near the firewall, pulled the heads and had the machine shop do the inserts. They told me the name of the insert manufacture at the time, don't recall right now.
Truck has 135,000 now no more trouble.
Good luck with yours.

dutchman

T Welsh

Marty, I would pony up for a reman engine and pull the heads  before installation and have inserts install in a 8 holes. Then you basically have a new truck. Tim

giant splinter

Fixing it will work fine, trading it in is quicker and perhaps a lease may work out in your favor.
roll with it

MartyParsons

Hello,
trading the truck is not an option at this time. I have the cab off the frame. Power washed everything ready to remove the engine or other. Like everyone just trying to find a window to get er done.
Thanks for the input. I will let you know how it works out.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

giant splinter

Good luck Marty hope it goes well.
roll with it

Hilltop366

Sorry to hear of your truck woes.

Seems to me Ford has done a great disservice too them selves by not taking care of the problem for owners of the 5.4.  It has a obvious problem with spark plugs that can be described only as a design flaw that no owner should have to pay to repair. Having to remove the cab to repair or replace the engine is another design flaw that should not be allowed, to me there should be service and repair ability standards for manufactures to follow.
( I have a 03 f150 with a 4.6L and dread the thought)

Sorry, had to say it.

For the repair options, if you are keeping the truck I would be tempted to go with the engine replacement. If getting rid of the truck use the lowest cost but reliable repair possible.

Checking in to other types of common repairs and failures for that engine might help you make your decision.

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

millstead

Marty is your truck white . About 2 or 3 weaks ago I saw someone with a white f250 and they had an lt 15 in the bed and towing a larger mill both brand new woodmizers heading north on rt8 towards butler pa

moosehunter

Marty,
If you are going to keep the truck three years or more then I recommend a reman engine. I have dealt with a few remanufacturers and none compare to Jasper. Kinda like the Woodmizer/(fill in any mill that works) comparison. Jasper does a lot of re-designing. If they see a common problem they engineer a "fix". I think they have "fixed" the spark plug issue but be sure to ask before you order.
Replacing just the heads you may need some  special tools to line up the cams.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

I've got the same problem with my '02 F350 with about 130,000 miles on it. If anybody knows the name of the insert kit please let me know. There seems to be a certain progression with this engine. First the manifolds fail, then the coils, then the plugs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Keep in mind that I have next to no experience with gas engines on newer models.  I do think that there is not much that you don't have to take to a dealer.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

I'll have to find a way to fix mine myself.  The only dealer this truck will ever see is the scrap metal dealer.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ScottAR

"Timesert" is the brand of insert the machine shops use here.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

snowstorm

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 28, 2013, 09:06:29 AM
Sorry to hear of your truck woes.

Seems to me Ford has done a great disservice too them selves by not taking care of the problem for owners of the 5.4.  It has a obvious problem with spark plugs that can be described only as a design flaw that no owner should have to pay to repair. Having to remove the cab to repair or replace the engine is another design flaw that should not be allowed, to me there should be service and repair ability standards for manufactures to follow.
( I have a 03 f150 with a 4.6L and dread the thought)

Sorry, had to say it.

For the repair options, if you are keeping the truck I would be tempted to go with the engine replacement. If getting rid of the truck use the lowest cost but reliable repair possible.

Checking in to other types of common repairs and failures for that engine might help you make your decision.
the cab was designed to come off. there are vids on youtube showing it done. 

MartyParsons

Hello,
Cal Van 38900 Ford Triton Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit
This is what I have used and had good results.    But.
I called the company when the insert came out, they said " that never happened before"
I caused the issue. I did not put any JB weld on the threads on the last insert. So if you use this kit put JB weld on the insert. !
The first one took me about 1 hour after that less.

There are lots of designs on the market.
I have the cam holding tool. Just need time. LOL

Thanks
Marty

Yes We were in Butler, PA  "Not the same truck" But yes. Show at the fair ground.

The Cab removal is not bad as it seems. I removed the Radiator and the AC compressor so I did not need to evacuate the system.

Dave Shepard

I bought a Dorman thread repair kit from Advance Auto this afternoon and installed it in my truck. If I had all the tools in one spot, it would have been a ten minute repair. It took me an hour. :D I had to pay about $60, it's only $40.95 in the link, but I guess that's the price you pay for impatience (and wanting to take advantage of the first day without rain in awhile). The kit comes with a threading adapter, a special long-snouted spark plug, and a new shorter boot to stick on the coil. You put high temp loctite on the threading adapter and screw it into the head, then put the spark plug in that and put the coil back on with the new boot. It was that easy. 8)

pappy19

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 28, 2013, 04:24:03 PM
I've got the same problem with my '02 F350 with about 130,000 miles on it. If anybody knows the name of the insert kit please let me know. There seems to be a certain progression with this engine. First the manifolds fail, then the coils, then the plugs.

This is the one most of the early 5.4 and 6.8 guys are using that lurk the Ford Truck forum:

http://www.timesert.com/index.html

If it was mine, I would also do the reman with the 3 V engine from 2005-up which would give you the upgraded heads and good HP. You might even want to go from a 5.4 to a 6.8 V-10, which is what I run. Great engine.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

MartyParsons

Hello,
Replaced the engine with a Ford Reman from our local Ford dealer. Parts to fix the original engine would be over $ 1000.00 more than the complete engine.  ???. The engine even came with oil and filter new water pump sensors gaskets etc. I took me two days to put the engine back in and complete the deal. I painted the frame and did some other maintenance items while I had the cab off. So it is ready for another 100,000 miles.
Thanks for the comments.
Marty

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!