iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dont laugh at me :)

Started by cutter88, May 26, 2013, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

can some one tell me what thred of bar nut will fit my ms 460 stihl im working in the middle of nowere right now and wont be back to town till wensday and i lost a bar nut off my saw so what size do i need?
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

JohnW

I don't know, but I'd just go to a saw dealer and get a pair of bar nuts.  They might cost $3.

clww

I did that exact thing three weeks ago. Now I have four back-up nuts for each of my six (or is it nine?) saws. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

I have 2 bar nuts now. I think since I have a spare I have not lost one. I keep another bar on hand too. Spark plug too. A sprocket too with a snap ring.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NWP

You can buy a bag of 10 pretty cheap from Baileys so you'll have plenty of spares next time.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

HolmenTree

Quote from: cutter88 on May 26, 2013, 08:29:45 PM
can some one tell me what thred of bar nut will fit my ms 460 stihl im working in the middle of nowere right now and wont be back to town till wensday and i lost a bar nut off my saw so what size do i need?
You can keep going with only one bar nut for the rest of the week.....just don't lose the last one :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

cutter88

Quote from: JohnW on May 26, 2013, 08:34:47 PM
I don't know, but I'd just go to a saw dealer and get a pair of bar nuts.  They might cost $3.

I don't no maybe you have a reading disability.... I said I couldn't get to the dealer to get the proper ones right away so I need to just use nuts from my bolt bin...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

Quote from: clww on May 26, 2013, 08:39:04 PM
I did that exact thing three weeks ago. Now I have four back-up nuts for each of my six (or is it nine?) saws. :)

lol I had some m8s in my tool trailer so they will do till I get to the dealer to buy  whole bag hahaha
Romans 10 vs 9 

beenthere

cutter
You suggested someone had a disability....  just how does one lose nuts such that he'd have to buy a whole bag ??   ;D
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Quote from: cutter88 on May 27, 2013, 09:22:06 PM

I don't no maybe you have a reading disability.... I said I couldn't get to the dealer to get the proper ones right away so I need to just use nuts from my bolt bin...
:D

JohnW

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 28, 2013, 10:48:49 AM
Quote from: cutter88 on May 27, 2013, 09:22:06 PM

:D

Sure, I should have read it a little more closely.

deerslayer

Keep in mind that on metric nuts (similar to SAE) that there is also a thread pitch. M8 refers to the diameter of the stud but the thread pitch could be 1.0, 1.25, 1.50, etc. I think Stihls have a pitch of 1.25 but I'm not sure without measuring it.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Paul_H

If you go to a sawshop and ask for a bar nut for a 460 they will know.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

flashhole

Any decent hardware store will have one that fits.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

scully

I lost nuts before , I buy spares and lose them too . I think people need to shut up while I'm workin on my saw ! It makes me forget to tighten stuff !
I bleed orange  .

sawguy21

:D scully, a few responses come to mind but I'll leave you alone while you tighten yer...errr..stuff.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ford_man

When I work on anything I lay the parts out so I know where they are at and can find them easily. Then My wife walks by and thinks she needs to put things away her way. Can't find anything. splitwood_smiley

HolmenTree

After reading all this, now I see why Husqvarna put captive bar nuts on their newest series of saws. :D

clww

I keep a few spare bar nuts "captive" in the ashtray in the truck. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!