iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy here

Started by medina2928, May 26, 2013, 02:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medina2928

I found the forum a couple of weeks ago.  I do woodworking with mesquite when I have a chance. Does anyone have any experience sawing mesquite?  I have been looking for a portable sawmill for awhile. I just don't know which one.  I'm looking for one that I can use  once a month or so, but it will go all day if I need.  I am looking to mill mesquite oak pecan and cedar. 

sawguy21

I know nothing about sawing mesquite, just want to say welcome aboard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Andy White

Medina2928
Welcome to the forum! I have not sawed any mesquite, but someone on here has,
and will soon give you a report. Check out the left of page for sponsors. They have very good equipment
and one of them will have just what you need!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Hello    medina2928, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

There are several guys on here that saw Mesquite so someone will see this and respond.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jay C. White Cloud

8) 8)Welcome to the Forestry Forum!!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ianab

Not an expert on Mesquite either (it doesn't grow here). But sawing harder woods like that is more about the blade design than the mill itself . So with the right blade pretty much any decent mill will gnaw it's way through relatively easily. But that blade configuration and sharpness is CRITICAL for those sorts of wood. Some of the folks with experience cutting that actual wood can give you more precise info there.

The small band mills are powered with a little 4 stroke industrial engine, it can buzz away all day if needed. You will get tired before it does.  :D

The reason for the bigger more powerful mills is production. Hydraulic log handling make life a LOT easier, and of course a 30 hp engine is able to cut faster than a 10 hp engine. But it's hard to justify something like that for a hobby or part time business.

But something like an LT10 you can afford to park in the shed and bring it out for an occasional Saturday afternoons sawing. There is a bit of a learning curve with any sawmill, but if you are a woodworker already you will realise that applies to any woodworking tool.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

VictorH

Welcome to the forum!!!

garyfg

Got a cousin in San Angelo that saws it.

hillbillyhogs

Welcome, great bunch of people here!

thecfarm

Where's mesquite buckeye when you need him. I'll send him a pm to make sure he saw this.
medina2928,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

medina2928

Thanks to all of your responses.  I'm glad there are people who are willing to help. 

giant splinter

Hello Medina 2928,
We do have a Mesquite expert on the forum "Mequite_Buckeye" is an expert at milling and creating very nice and artistic projects from his hardwood and I am sure he will be here to help you out.
roll with it

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Medina 2928.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Well DanG, where are our Mesquite sawyers  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Quote from: Magicman on May 28, 2013, 08:54:36 PM
Well DanG, where are our Mesquite sawyers  ???
Out back, sawing. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Must be checking out his "forest"  :D  Last time he was on,was May 25.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thecfarm on May 26, 2013, 10:20:08 PM
Where's mesquite buckeye when you need him. I'll send him a pm to make sure he saw this.
medina2928,welcome to the forum.

Out at the ranch, of course.

Welcome to the forum. I've been sawing mesquite since 2004 in Arizona. It is very pretty wood, but making any money at it is another deal. I mill with an LT40 with a 25 horse gas engine. It gets the job done.

Just a few things to consider before cutting mesquite:
          1. Lots of waste due to internal rot, cracking and crooked logs.
          2. Sometimes the boards just fall apart after you mill them because of cross grain or unhealed crotches.
          3. Mesquite eats blades. I have used up/destroyed up to 4 or 5 blades cutting up just one log. Blade costs are high.
          4. There is little established market for this product. That means you will have to sell your lumber yourself.
          5. Cutting up these logs is an art. You can easily double the value of a log or destroy the value in a log by the way you cut it.
          6. You need bigger logs than you think you do to make this work. 80% or more of the money in mesquite is contained in the high quality, big logs, especially straight ones, since they are rare.

If you still want to do this, come down and help me at the mill sometime, I'll teach you what I can.

And welcome to the forum.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Medina2928.  great board with lots of fantastic folks.

Once you start sawing, you won't stop ;) 

Best DGD

Geeg

Welcome to the best forestry forum on the internet medina2928!
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

woodweasel

Im a new guy also. I have sawed a couple of mesquite logs. Its hard but do able. Must have the proper blade of course! Ive sawed mostly pecan in my shorttime of milling! I have a w.m. lt 35 manual with a deck package!
Its been doing fine!! You get a mill ,these fellows will steer in the right direction! I also mill a good bit of cedar! Welcome from one new guy to
another! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heres some pecan that I milled! woodweasel

Thank You Sponsors!