iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FF hat tours Italy (with me underneath it)

Started by cutterboy, May 24, 2013, 08:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I just got back from two and a half weeks in Italy and I wore my favorite hat the whole time. My wife and I flew from Boston to Rome and while we were checking in to our hotel a man approached me and asked " How are you involved in the forest industry?" Turns out he is a forester from B.C. Canada. Later that same day outside the Colosseum another man noticed the hat and asked me if I was a logger. He was a retired logger also from B.C. Four days later in a hotel in Sicily an old gent asked about the hat. He is a retired biologist from the Netherlands and did work with foresters in northern Europe. So, my hat not only kept the sun and rain off my head but also got me into some interesting conversations.

Outside the Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

On a bridge over one of the small canals in Venice

Over looking the Tuscan countryside

In the cellar of a Tuscan winery. (after a bit of tasting) ;D

Some kind of pine tree in a park in Rome. It was a beauty, tall and straight.

We had a great time, ate wonderful food and drank good wine and I saw some things I've always wanted to see. Now, back to sawing lumber.   Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

The only time my hat has left the state of Maine was when it came from MI.
Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warbird

Ron Scott

~Ron

Paul_H

I noticed you standing straight in the first pics but leaning in the two after the wine tasting ;)

Looks like a great trip.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

cutterboy

Quote from: Paul_H on May 26, 2013, 05:53:35 PM
I noticed you standing straight in the first pics but leaning in the two after the wine tasting ;)

Looks like a great trip.
LOL, As I said, we had a great time. ;) In Italy wine is good and it's inexpensive. The house wine is often cheaper that Coka Cola. Every eating place serves wine, even little sandwich shops.

clww

I've been to all those places pictured, so make sure to take a bunch of photos. Keep having a great time, as you should. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

I really appreciate the sartorial nature of your journey (especially the head adornment)  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Ta think, I may have stuffed that hat in a box. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Thanks for sharing your trip as well as modeling your attire.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Quote from: Corley5 on May 26, 2013, 10:08:44 PM
Those are umbrella pine  :)
Thanks for the info Corley. The name fits, they have a top that looks like an umbrella.

Chuck White

Glad to hear you had a nice European trip Cutter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!