iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All weather milling: who does? who doesn't?

Started by OlJarhead, May 24, 2013, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

After milling in a literal torrential downpour for two days I am wondering (since I see a lot of folks comment about not milling in the rain) how many do and/or don't mill in the rain and the reasons for it.

For us ANY job is a job and so we'll do it as long as it's safe to do so :)
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Chuck White

I DON'T!!

I don't mind sawing down to 30° and up to 85°or so, but when it rains, NO!

I not only look at it from a comfort level, but also from a safety level.
When the mill, the logs, the cant hooks, and even the ground get wet, it's slippery and a potential for someone to get hurt is greatly increased.  It's just not worth it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

I have milled in rain before and the circuit breaker for the forward feed tripped.  When things got dry it worked just fine and has been fine since.  I try to stay mostly dry. 

I have milled in ankle deep mud this Spring during the thaw. I spread the sawdust in the board stacking area to keep them clean.  That was not too much fun but got through it.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

giant splinter

I am always getting caught in foul weather and if it gets too bad I shut down, I am working on setting up a mill shed to work under that will provide shelter and shade with a good breezeway to keep me out of the dust. I have the posts and beams cut and I am working on the roof framing as soon as I get time to jump back onto that project. I have no problem with sawing in cold weather and snow or rain so once the shed is done I can carry on in the wet stuff and take advantage of the otherwise not so desirable soggy conditions. I had a contractor rig up a tarp once to see if we could get his job finished on time during a storm ....... it was ok till a squall picked up one corner of the tarp and concrete block that was holding it down and set it right down on the cant as I was getting close to the end of the cut "yikes" I got things shut down in time to keep the tarp,rope,concrete pier block and shock chords from wadding up in the mill, he decided we would both be better of just getting wet than trying to undo a mess like that again. I think we all get caught up in foul weather and just have to deal with it on some projects.
roll with it

dboyt

I've done it, but avoid it when I can.  About 20oF, I find other things to do, but if I shut down at 85o, I'd be done for the summer.  I agree with Chuck about the safety.  Good argument for having a shed for home milling jobs.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

I have, it usually depends on how the customer feels about it or how bad I want to go home at the end of the day (when I get caught in it far from home).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gasawyer

As a general rule I don't saw in the rain(safety issue mostly). I have sawn at over a 100 deg. and down to 10 deg. not pleasent but needed to be done.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

WoodenHead

I don't usually saw when it is raining either (and my mill sits under a lean-to).  If I'm slicing white pine I certainly do not because of mould issues. 

Today has been a miserable day with rain mixed with some snow!  :o  I've been trying to saw some 6" x 6" x 22' Eastern White Cedar for someone who is repairing a boat dock.  I figure if the wood is constantly going to be wet, then it doesn't hurt if the logs are wet either.  Rain does make for a dangerous workplace though.

Temperature wise I've sawn from 0 deg F to 100 deg F.  My preference is 50-70.   ;D

Nomad

I try to avoid rain.  It makes for much worse working conditions.  People who are miserable are less cautious.  Much more chance of somebody slipping or the log slipping.  Lots more dirt when it's wet.  Makes a much bigger mess of the mill.  Harder to clean, too.  Not to mention the possibility of wetting the onboard computer and in my case, the wireless remote.  I may finish a job in light rain if I'm close, but otherwise it's smarter in my book to wait for better weather.  And if it's a for real thunderstorm or one of our Florida toad floaters, I'm heading for cover! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pnyberg

I try to avoid it.  Like Dennis (TerrificTimbers), I'm 100% portable, so milling is done in the open.

If the forecast is 'scattered showers', I'll take my chances.  If a heavy downpour passes through, I'd generally shut down and find shelter until it passes.  But if an all day soaker is called for, I'd reschedule.  This is one of the reasons I leave lots of holes in my milling calendar. 

My house has a standing seam metal roof.  The area where the chimney is has a pitch of 5/12.  My chimney sweep won't go up on that roof unless it's dry.  Over the years several times he has rescheduled appointments due to rain in the weather forecast.  It never occurred to me to be even the least bit upset by this. 

--Peter
No longer milling

OlJarhead

How about the manual mill folks?  Seems a lot of the Hydraulic mills (and those with accusets etc) don't mill in the rain (or avoid it) but what about other manual mill types?

I grew up on the West coast and must admit that in areas there where it is common to get twelve feet or rain a year (yes, 144 inches) I can't imagine NOT milling in the rain.  After all, when it can rain for weeks on end not milling in the rain would mean not milling.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

I don't work in the rain no money in it. and even my chickens know to get out of the rain :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Erik, even us with the hydraulics are still manual in a sense, and rain is troubling, many issues for no apparent reason, if the job can't wait, it should not be started. there are always better days ahead.  the ole saying "make hay while the sun is shining"  stands for a very good reason.  Now, there are emergencies, I like to call these "alligators"  well, I just stay back out of range. do what you have to, and do what you can,  not much else to say,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

oljarhead
This is the "marine" coming out in you.   ;D

And you are educatin that son to not be pussy footin around just because of a little rain.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

I mill under a shed (mostly) so I avoid windy rain and >95° and <30°.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jay C. White Cloud

Not my favorite manual mill work but as a fellow Marine, there is no such thing as "bad or good weather," it is either wet or dry, work is work and it's got to get done.

Semper Fi,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bandmiller2

I'am not that hungry to work out in the rain.Spoiled now, mill is in a well lighted heated building.I can see finishing a job but not starting one if its raining. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

I have issues with cutting pine in wet weather ,MOLD.We all know you have to get things done,I get it ,I just don't have to deal with the mold when the humidity is not so high.
al glenn

hamish

Weather is just another obstacle to overcome.  Too much work and leisure time is lost due to "possible forecasts".  Primarily its about ones individual mind set and work ethic. 

I am sure many of you would even consider milling at 0F, but for others it the reality of life, and for others the time to adapt and overcome, then the rest to snuggle up beside the woodstove and call it a day.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

cutterboy

I don't mill in the rain because I don't have to. My operation is more of a hobby than a business. I don't count on my sawing for my income so I can be somewhat sane about the whole thing.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jim H

If it's above about 50-55 degrees I don't mind working in the rain. I prefer cool and rainy to 95 degrees and hot sun beating down. I have a tractor umbrella mounted on the mill and a good rain coat, the worst part is wet gloves so I try to have several pairs on rainy days.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Tom the Sawyer

I spent more than 30 years working in all weather conditions.  There was never a time that it was too cold, too hot, or too wet to respond to an emergency - sometimes the weather caused the emergencies.  But I am retired now and can choose when to work and I don't set up to mill if it is raining.  I have milled through showers or snow that started while on a job and sat in the truck until a downpour passed.    smiley_thumbsdown

Wet logs can be dangerous, especially when moving them to the mill with a cant hook, slogging through wet sawdust is miserable and it sticks to everything.  Plus, it if rains a lot the ground can soften under my portable mill and cause instability.  I can't remember a client that was disappointed that we didn't work through a thunderstorm, extreme heat, or knee deep in snow.  For mobile appointments; rain, windchills below freezing, or heat index above 100 and we reschedule or at least modify the appointment times.  Its hard to enjoy the milling experience if it is miserable and/or dangerous.    no_no

At home, I now mill on a concrete pad, out of the north wind, under cover and with plenty of light so I can extend my milling opportunities.  Not everyone can be that selective.  Fortunately, I can.   smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

justallan1

I work out in the weather on a large cattle ranch and sawing is just extra money, so I'm not planning on it.

Allan

YellowHammer

My mill is under cover, so I don't have to mill in the rain, but things still have to get done on the farm, rain or shine. Its been a very wet Spring in North Alabama, and the other day I was loading some lumber into a guys truck during a drizzle and he said it looked like I didn't even notice it.  I told him that it had been raining so much lately that I barely thought about it anymore, and at least it keeps the pollen count down. :D 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

isawlogs

I don't and won't. I'll shut down if it starts to rain, the risk of having someone slip and geting hurt is not worth it for me.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!