iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand painted two person cross-cut saw. How to find local artist to paint?

Started by Wrace, May 21, 2013, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrace

This saw which I think is a two person lance-tooth cross-cut bucking saw (not quite 6') belonged to my wife's uncle and she has wanted to get it painted with country/farming scenes for some years now.

Our 30th anniversary is coming up later this year and I thought it would be a good gift for that occasion.

The question is how do I go about finding a local artist to do the painting? I can clean up the metal and maybe install a couple of handles but I'm no artist. I looked through the local craigslist and found a couple that were being sold for $100-$200 but these were the saws owners, not the artists that did the work. I tried looking through the services section of CL under painters and artists but only came up with a bunch of non-related stuff like house painters/contractors.

I sent an email to the organizers of the Morton Loggers Jubilee event that's held every year in western WA to see if they may have a lead on an artist that does this kind of work but I'm wondering where else should I be looking for a lead on an artist?

Thanks

This is an example from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosscut-Saw-Church-Farmhouse-Barns-John-Deere-Signed-Janice-Palmer-/300896517435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460ed47d3b

limbrat

There is a local crafts section on facebook here that has several painters. The local museum of art also has art work shops and restoration workshops. You or maybe a college or high school art teacher.
ben

muskoka guy

My cousin had a few large circular saw blades off an old mill. He wanted to have them painted for a friend. I suggested using a friend of mine that has a sign company. He can put a picture of anything on anything. My cousin went to his friends cottage and took a few pictures of the cottage and lakefront.  He sand blasted the blades and painted them. He then took them to the graphics guy and had the pictures put onto the sawblades. The two pictures look great on the sawblades, and his friend almost fell off his chair when he was presented with them. They instantly became family heirlooms. Hope this helps. Good luck.

DanG

Wrace, I would suggest you visit some local art galleries to find an artist whose style you like.  There should be plenty of them around that area.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Talk to Antique Shop owners as well.  Someone will know someone.  The best guy that I know would be a gent by the name of Jeff Brokaw.  He runs a little Forum somewhere out of Michigan  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ND rancher

There are a lot of artists in ND that do that.Check with art associations to find a good artists.My daughter-in-law is doing a large mural in Oregon for a tree farm on I84 around Umatilla(Green Woods??) Grand opening June 1,Check it out anybody going through there!
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

loggah

My wife does that sort of thing, but were a few thousand miles away!! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loggah on May 22, 2013, 05:30:35 PM
My wife does that sort of thing, but were a few thousand miles away!! ;D Don

If it fits....it ships.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

If I was going to have something like that done, Loggah's wife is very very good!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loggah

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Don. Very nice! Is all this art up for auction or am I on the wrong thread?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Not trying to say anything but............Even if it cost me $100 to ship that cross cut to NH,I would. That is some mighty fine art work,painting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Yup, Cheryl's got my vote!  Loggah please tell her that is some very nice work!  May I ask what her work costs for say a two man crosscut saw?

ancjr

loggah

All of those pieces are long gone!! were sold 4 to 6 years ago, they were some of the first ones she did. The crosscut saws were the most expensive around $300 ,but we provided the saws, lots of work there, with prep work , and the art!! I been bugging her to do a lombard  pulling a sled train on a crosscut saw for me for years , it aint happened yet !!!!! :) :) Don

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I'd say spend the dollar for shipping and go with a proven job.
Don, your wife does beautiful work.

Allan

Jeff

Beware, unforeseen things can occur when deciding to paint on a saw.  :)

Quote from: Jeff on March 04, 2013, 05:12:58 PM
There is  whole topic about it called the origins of the Forestry Forum here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30658.0.html

But I'll try to summarize.  :D

My Granddad made ice cream during the depression.
He used an old saw to cut the ice to fill the icehouse from the river to have during the summer.
My Aunt gave my dad the old icesaw, and he gave it to me.
I tired to get someone to paint a picture of the old farm on the saw but could not afford it.
I told Tammy I was going to do it myself, get me some paints so I can practice.
Tammy Laughed.
A year later I had sold over 100 paintings and had 2 one man gallery shows.
I built a website to promote my paintings
The website attracted more attention than the art.
I got my first job building a commercial website for a grocery store chain.
I had something happen at the mill that made me come home and pretend I had 40 acres and was looking for a timberbuyer.
I built the Timber Buyers Network.
The forum came from that website.

Whew.  The link to the original topic is a little more interesting.

Picture of the saw from a few years ago.

loggah

Jeff, Amazing how some things just lead to another !!!! I take it you never actually painted on the ice saw !! ;D Sometimes when you have lots of talent it takes a while to get it all sorted out!, me i still dont know what i want to be when i grow up!! ;D ;D

Jeff

I look at that saw differently then I used to. Its even more special than it was before :)   It is not painted and most likely never will be.  :)

Can you spot it where it lives now? :D

The saw is pretty easy, finding anything small in our house is like "Where is Waldo".  Maybe I should do a walk through video some day.

clww

That would be cool, Jeff, as you have some really neat stuff there at your family's house.

Loggah-WOW! The Mrs. does some great work! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

loggah

Jeff, i see it right in front of the fireplace,make sure you dont stubb your toe on it when feeding the fireplace ! ;D

Jeff

No problem there. We live in the land of bountiful natural gas. I build a fire by throwing a switch. :)

loggah

Thank You Sponsors!