iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FF members work together

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 21, 2013, 07:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

This is a brief account of two FF members meeting and working together twice.  Thanks to Roy for the large log referrals and to FF for introducing us.

Early on one cold morning last January, Roy (Full Circle) and I finally met in person near Lagrangeville, NY.  He had referred me a request for slabbing oak logs.  It was about 20F there and what I remember first was that the grooves in the rollers on my Peterson were frozen solid with ice.  Roy had a torch and got them clear for me.  The customer showed up after the slabbing was underway and Roy moved out the logs and took away slabs with his tractor.  Roy stayed until I drove out in the dark around 7pm, holding the flashlight while I packed up and strapped things down. It was very cold again.   Here's a picture of me sawing slabs:

Last week we met again at a site near Pawling, NY.  It was a gorgeous cool day, a beautiful secluded property,  and everything was green.  There were two large maple logs for the Peterson,  and the branches and additional logs from the woods were for Roy.   As I was setting up, Roy drives in, bringing the Wood-Mizer and Bobcat.  I sawed the 42" x 12'  dia butt log into 9 slabs with 10 cuts, 8 of them hitting metal. There was some kind of band around the base of the log with about a 16" diameter and a bunch of nails.   Never mind that. The customer was upbeat and courageous.  The second log got sawn into 8 slabs with 9 cuts, no metal.  Roy took away the slabs for me as soon as they were sawn and went back to his Wood-mizering.   I left Roy there around noon on the second day after helping the customer catch a chicken.   Here's a photo near the end with the Peterson front right, and Roy turning a log at the WM in the back. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Teamwork, Friendship, and Sawing.  Don't get much better than that !!!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Great story!

Good on ya, both!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

What,no food???    I know work,the job,comes first.   
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on May 21, 2013, 08:25:47 AM
OK.  Customer brought us Italian grinders on the first day, and I brought half of a cold leftover pizza the second morning, which I ate on the way home.  My truck passenger seat floor is filled with boxes of breakfast and fiber bars some of which got eaten too.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WmFritz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 21, 2013, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on May 21, 2013, 08:25:47 AM
OK.  Customer brought us Italian grinders on the first day, and I brought half of a cold leftover pizza the second which I ate on the way home.  My truck passenger seat floor is filled with boxes of breakfast and fiber bars.

Wait a minute...
                            I thought the chicken you was chasing was for dinner.  ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Chicken.......did someone say chasing a chicken  :o  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Great story. Danny and I met on this forum and I love every minute of our friendship. I have several other friends that I only met through this forum and it means so much to me to have all of them as friends and to share our stories on here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

I do hope there is another sycamore project in the works for this year. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

This looks just awesome! what a team effort this must have been, and I agree, meeting fellow forum members has to be a good thing, I have only been on the phone with several, others through PMs and e-mails but the friendship is as real and good as it gets!  No question that there are just plain ole good hearted real folks with common interests, and varying backgrounds that just only make for a better understanding of all the things we enjoy to do.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnM

Great pictures and story TTllc.

Quote from: drobertson on May 21, 2013, 09:48:35 PM
This looks just awesome! what a team effort this must have been, and I agree, meeting fellow forum members has to be a good thing, I have only been on the phone with several, others through PMs and e-mails but the friendship is as real and good as it gets!
I was lucky enough to meet, in person last Friday, FF members thecfarm, Jim Rogers, deastman, bill m and the Logrite crew at the Logging Expo up here in Maine.  Plus thecfarm and I ran into GDinMaine (he and I are neighbors/friends).  I'm thinking it'd be nice to meet WDH and customsawyer the next time the family and I visit my in-laws in Atlanta. ;D  However drobertson, I think the chances of you and I meeting are less likely.  After a couple of long HOT HARD summers at Fort Lost in the Woods (Fort Leonard Wood) I'm a bit 'leery' of heading back to MO. ;) ;D :D  jk living on a military base doesn't really count as visiting a state...I'd actually really like to see the Ozarks.  :)  We pass through CT 2-3 times a year maybe a visit with TTllc may in order as well...hmm ??? :) :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on May 21, 2013, 09:35:15 PM
It is pecan ( smiley_devil)  :-\.
From what I read on the FF, if poison ivy was a tree, it would be more useful than pecan.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: JohnM on May 21, 2013, 10:42:30 PM
Great pictures and story TTllc.

Quote from: drobertson on May 21, 2013, 09:48:35 PM
This looks just awesome! what a team effort this must have been, and I agree, meeting fellow forum members has to be a good thing, I have only been on the phone with several, others through PMs and e-mails but the friendship is as real and good as it gets!
I was lucky enough to meet, in person last Friday, FF members thecfarm, Jim Rogers, deastman, bill m and the Logrite crew at the Logging Expo up here in Maine.  Plus thecfarm and I ran into GDinMaine (he and I are neighbors/friends).  I'm thinking it'd be nice to meet WDH and customsawyer the next time the family and I visit my in-laws in Atlanta. ;D  However drobertson, I think the chances of you and I meeting are less likely.  After a couple of long HOT HARD summers at Fort Lost in the Woods (Fort Leonard Wood) I'm a bit 'leery' of heading back to MO. ;) ;D :D  jk living on a military base doesn't really count as visiting a state...I'd actually really like to see the Ozarks.  :)  We pass through CT 2-3 times a year maybe a visit with TTllc may in order as well...hmm ??? :) :D

JM
Love to meet you, just give me a pm or call phone# is at my web site. I also get to Rangeley and Millinocket areas occasionally if those routes takes me past you.

Full Circle

Hello Dennis.

Thanks for putting this post together and giving the forum a glimpse of our job.  It was truly a pleasure working with you.  Although I always appreciate the wood that comes off the woodmizer, the slabs you produce are jaw-dropping nice!  If any of you other guys end up doing this type of job, and you're the one running the bandsaw mill, don't worry, the feeling of being upstaged only last for a few minutes...... :)  It was a nice job, with a nice customer, and a nice fellow sawyer to work with.  Good stuff, all around!
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

thecfarm

terrifictimbersllc, Rangley is only about 45 minutes from me. Probably you may be only 15 minutes from me,depends on which route you take. Freeway,Augusta exit, would be a little more than a half hour. Yoy can stop by here on your way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

JM, we are a long way apart, but be rest assured, it would be a nice visit,    I love to grill, (not too bad at it) so the food would be good!   this being said, just visiting on the forum is  a blessing for me, and a nice release, I still want to order some  Lobster and try my hand at this, I hear that there are companies that ship daily fresh and worth the dollar, if the budget is available, chicken, ribs and steak just get kinda routine after awhile,  david , sawing is sawing, but cooking and eating are a totally different topic. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnM

Quote from: drobertson on May 22, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
...I still want to order some  Lobster and try my hand at this, I hear that there are companies that ship daily fresh and worth the dollar, if the budget is available,

That last line is the rub!  I'll tell you what, I work just down the road from a fish market, I'll stop in and see what they say about shipping.  The lobster it's self is pretty cheap right now (and should continue to drop) but it's the dry ice and overnight shipping that kills you (assuming you want live ones).  I'm crazy busy right now, give me a couple of weeks and I'll let you know. :)

TTllc, I'm east of Bangor about 25min out rt9 (The Airline).  Ever stop at Dysarts truck stop on your way to Millinocket? digin1  Maybe meet for lunch?  It all comes back to food around here doesn't it! :D

Back to the original topic for a sec, I forgot to mention FF member Klicker and his wife stopped by our place for lunch last fall and I spent an hour on the phone the other night with dgdrls.  This place is a great resource.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

terrifictimbersllc

That's right on I-95!   Next time I go up I'll let you know.   

Does anyone else notice that some Woodmizers are the same color as lobsters (maybe more so after they're cooked)?   :) :)   I mean after the lobsters are cooked not the Woodmizers.   ::) ::)

Magicman

Mine looks more like uncooked.  Kinda faded.   :-\

wwsjr

My mill was kinda pink when it was cooked.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Thank You Sponsors!