iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

comp. cutters

Started by Forrest277, May 21, 2013, 06:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest277

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhISJLHVUDg

short clip^ precise work _ not a real tree but nice cutting all the same ...

swedish tree dance !!

plunge to make the back of the hinge ... or not !!

hope you enjoy the clip

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

beenthere

Interesting video.
I think the cameraman was more nervous than the competitor.  ;D
Not sure I could ever go that slow laying out a cut to fall a tree, but then I'm not after that kind of accuracy needed in the competition.
Shows how the plunge cut works to fine-tune the hinge width.

Thanks for the video.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MEloggah

that was fast? l should think any chopper worth his salt could dump that LIMBLESS pole and crush a beer can all day every day in half that amount of time. or less.  smiley_headscratch

barbender

That's kind of like watching that Ice Road Truckers show. I always felt like they should come haul a load of wood, the couple of times I watched it ;)
Too many irons in the fire

MEloggah

yep! falling trees is a skill. falling telephone poles, I think with about a 1/2 hrs training my wife could hit the pin. now, give frenchie there a 36" white pine with a 2 degree lean and a double tassel with  uneven weighted limbs  with a cross wind and put it on the mark then ill give him some credit. then do 7 -10 of them babies completely limbed up before the skidder gets back. maybe that sounds cocky but that vid is a joke.

no offense to the original poster.

Forrest277

Quote from: MEloggah on May 21, 2013, 05:45:17 PM
yep! falling trees is a skill. falling telephone poles, I think with about a 1/2 hrs training my wife could hit the pin. now, give frenchie there a 36" white pine with a 2 degree lean and a double tassel with  uneven weighted limbs  with a cross wind and put it on the mark then ill give him some credit. then do 7 -10 of them babies completely limbed up before the skidder gets back. maybe that sounds cocky but that vid is a joke.

no offense to the original poster.

non taken MElogger_  _ just happened across it on the tube and well ... anyways up ...   thought it may be of interest ... i have never seen this sort of thing on a TV show before I think thats really why I watched n posted it...

like most TV reports ... it has little to do with reality !! :°)
Love my Husky ...

MEloggah

I love chainsaw/loggin vids too and am glad you posted this one. it led me to other cool vids too watch.....and some that make a man scratch his head lol.

Forrest277

Quote from: MEloggah on May 21, 2013, 06:27:46 PM
I love chainsaw/loggin vids too and am glad you posted this one. it led me to other cool vids too watch.....and some that make a man scratch his head lol.

same _ i find there is always something to learn watching other people do the felling work, better or worse, often the worse cases are most interesting _  i get like a sick pleasure watching absolute fools trashing their house or car with granny holding a pull rope and the dude with the electric saw !

I know its wrong but it facinates me how stupid they can be, and thats why i look to see every kinda error they make.... somehow its informative _ if you get what i mean.

on a side note heres some new hardware i put together today _ fixed / semi adjust lanyard.

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

bill m

Why the cable clamps? 3 strand is real easy to splice. I do it all the time for slings, lanyards, flip lines etc. When installing cable clamps make sure you have them on the correct way.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Forrest277

Quote from: bill m on May 21, 2013, 06:57:42 PM
Why the cable clamps? 3 strand is real easy to splice. I do it all the time for slings, lanyards, flip lines etc. When installing cable clamps make sure you have them on the correct way.

the clamps are there so I can use this in different configurations i.e. adjustable loop points. if I spliced the rope, the loop ends will be at a fixed distance and i didnt want that. the idea is to have a semi-adjustable lanyard, and/or sling tie-in point...etc

im interested to know more about the black art of splicing 4 core poly ropes ...

this is four strand _ does it make a difference, cos I havent spliced a rope this thick ? _ its 20mm multi core.
Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

Quote from: Forrest277 on May 21, 2013, 07:22:20 PM
Quote from: bill m on May 21, 2013, 06:57:42 PM

the clamps are there so I can use this in different configurations i.e. adjustable loop points. if I spliced the rope, the loop ends will be at a fixed distance and i didnt want that. the idea is to have a semi-adjustable lanyard, and/or sling tie-in point...etc

im interested to know more about the black art of splicing 4 core poly ropes ...

this is four strand _ does it make a difference, cos I havent spliced a rope this thick ? _ its 20mm multi core.

before anyone asks, no this rope does not have a steel core !
Love my Husky ...

bill m

What is the shortest and longest configurations you will be using with this lanyard? One thing you could do is get a 36" ( about 1 meter ) long piece of 3/8 ( 10 mm ) Amsteel Blue. Tie it into a loop using a double fishermans knot and use this as a prusik.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Forrest277

Quote from: bill m on May 21, 2013, 07:57:22 PM
What is the shortest and longest configurations you will be using with this lanyard? One thing you could do is get a 36" ( about 1 meter ) long piece of 3/8 ( 10 mm ) Amsteel Blue. Tie it into a loop using a double fishermans knot and use this as a prusik.

thats exactly what I use in some situations ... this is not my only lanyard, just an addition, I use a variety of loops, slings, ropes, prussics etc, depending on the situation, sometimes SRT sometimes spurs etc... my plan for this new bit was to make a lanyard, but also use it as a adaptable high-point tie in...
Love my Husky ...

celliott

Quote from: MEloggah on May 21, 2013, 03:24:29 PM
that was fast? l should think any chopper worth his salt could dump that LIMBLESS pole and crush a beer can all day every day in half that amount of time. or less.  smiley_headscratch

FWIW, I don't believe that's a timed competition. What they really are judging is the physical measurements of his hinge, and face cut. Like, you tell them, i'm going to have a 10" opening in the face cut, and leave a 3\4" hinge. How close you come to that reflects your score.
But honestly, I doubt anyone is going to actually measure their cuts dropping timber out in the woods. Just a competition, a game, plain and simple.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!