iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new technique

Started by hackberry jake, May 20, 2013, 02:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Say you have a 12" square on the mill and you need 1x6s. Most people saw it into two 6x12s then flip and start making two 1x6s with each pass. Would it make sense to put a 1" thick spacer between the two cants?  To let the sawdust fall out of the gullets before it enters the next can't. Just a thought. Might try it next time to see if I can tell a difference.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

roghair

Nice thought, but would 1" be enough to release the sawdust at let's say 5000 feet/min?
Curious to know if it works!
built a sawmill

Ocklawahaboy

My money is on it working well.  That's just based on how quickly sawdust shoots up and out of small voids on pecky cypress and red cedar. 

Magicman

To answer your question as asked, forget about the space.  For practical purposes, the blade does not know if it is sawing one 12" or two 6" cants.

But to throw an element of sawing technique into the mix, (and not considering the kerf loss) I would never split a 12" cant containing the pith into two 6" cants.  I would take three boards off of each side thus leaving a 6X12" cant and saw through.  Then split the six 1X12's into 1X6's.  They would be subject to crook, but nothing is perfect.  If you split the 12" cant into two 6X12's, all of the boards would be subject to crook.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I don't think I would use the spacer, not a bad thought just don't see the benefit.  There are many ways to accomplish the task. custom cutting for just one dimension is what it is.  There will always be differing widths in order to maximize the log scale, if not then as mentioned crooked boards will follow.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Red Clay Hound

I agree with Magicman.  Best to leave your 6" cant in the middle of the log so that your grain pattern in balanced.  Makes for straighter boards.  If you used the spacer as suggested and the dust did fall out of the gullets, it seems to me you would accumulate a pile of dust under your mill, which would be aggravating after awhile. :-\
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Chuck White

I would just saw the two cants side-by-side!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

As Chuck says just clamp the two cants and cut,as far as the mill knows its just cutting a 12" board,which is a piece of cake.Try it mate but its just a lot of extra work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

The further from the pith, the less problem with crooked logs from off-center pith.  A variation on MagicMan's technique is to cut the 6" x 12" cant in half, then cut the two resulting 6x6 cants side by side at the same time.  I wouldn't bother for 8/4 lumber, but it saves a little time on 4/4 (the difference between 11 cuts and 6 cuts).  The spacers might help somewhat if the gullets are filling with sawdust before exiting the cut.  This would be an interesting experiment.  Let us know how it works.  Then try it with 2", and maybe 3" spacers.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

5quarter

Jake...I think you will get some spillout between the cants, but you will lose a little beam strength having the blade guides further apart than they need to be. the greater the beam strength, the faster you can saw straight lumber. I'm not sure the extra work will be a net benefit, but the best way to know is to try and experiment.  :P smiley_idea
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2013, 04:27:07 PM
To answer your question as asked, forget about the space.  For practical purposes, the blade does not know if it is sawing one 12" or two 6" cants.

But to throw an element of sawing technique into the mix, (and not considering the kerf loss) I would never split a 12" cant containing the pith into two 6" cants.  I would take three boards off of each side thus leaving a 6X12" cant and saw through.  Then split the six 1X12's into 1X6's.  They would be subject to crook, but nothing is perfect.  If you split the 12" cant into two 6X12's, all of the boards would be subject to crook.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!