iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c5d front differential blew

Started by keen, May 20, 2013, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keen

Front diff went out on my c5d Friday. The bearings for the pinion shaft blew and took out the carrier housing :-\ Having a hard time locating parts,been trying to get things orderd all morning and haven't had any luck. I would like to find a good used carrier assm, or at least the parts to fix mine. I do not have any numbers on my pinion shaft. The numbers on my ring gear are N50022 AG C4 88 5X31 PAI DEMM. I have been told it was a Rockwell by some people and symtrax by others???? Any help with IDing it or leads were parts could be would be greatly appreciated.

MEloggah

davco in Farmington maine would be my first call.

John Woodworth

To start with count the number of teeth on the pinion the  devide that into the number onf the ring gear, that gives you your gear ratio. Then go look at the carrier for a 1 1/2 ton Ford truck 60-70's vintage, the C-5 if it's the same as the 21 the carrier will be the same, gear ratio won't if you can find a complete used one from some of the outfits mentioned will be a lot cheaper than the ring and pinion. usualy the nose bearing goes and breaks the casting that supports the bearing.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

keen

Thanks guys I will give davco a call. My pinion has 5 teeth and ring gear has 31. Yeah that's what happened the internal pinion bearing blew and cracked the housing were the bearing sits. Think I may weld it up and make a bushing, and run a smaller od bearing for the pinion shaft. So maybe I can get by with a pinion and some bearings. Thanks again.

John Woodworth

Don't try to weld it yourself, the rebuilders do but it's a involved process, there is a lot of strain on that casting, go to a truck wrecking yard and pick up a Ford carrier to rebuild with or try to find a used one out af a skidder. The rebuilders weld in a solid peice and then line bore it, it's got to be perfect.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

keen

Quote from: MEloggah on May 20, 2013, 04:03:22 PM
davco in Farmington maine would be my first call.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip, davco fixed me up. Got the skidder back together last week.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Davco should be a sponsor on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!