iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I gotta think about this one.

Started by Jeff, May 20, 2013, 08:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So, I searched google on my desktop computer this mnorning to get Dr.Hough's phone number. I called and got an appointment for 9:15.  I'm about ready to take off, so I grab my cell phone out of the bedroom and see an alert. I click on the alert. Its google telling me the travel time with current traffic conditions and directions to Dr. Hough's office.  I've not digested yet how this was possible, as I said, the search was done on my desktop computer, and all I did was search for a phone number.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

Just think about how much you don't know. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

You better put that aluminum hat back on.  :D
Hope all is on the way to better now with the ear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

giant splinter

Interesting deal, I know my phone is synced to my laptop but I have not had any interaction between them, seems like a good thing.
roll with it

coxy

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

Jeff
Is your phone set up on the same google system as your laptop, you may have requested the alerts be sent to your phone at some point. I know it works on mine with my check book balance and run keeper etc. I suspect Google may have a similar interface. Having only looked up the phone number does complicate things as far as trying to put together how the phone number and google maps got tied together. Maybe a finger slipped and hit "get directions" or something of that sort.
I hope your ear gets better soon.
roll with it

Paul_H

It's like having a big brother to help you out.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

PC-Urban-Sawyer

It may be "Big Brother" but I'm not sure if I'd like the help...

Herb

Dave Shepard

My Android is linked to the same Google account as the desktop. I get email notification from Gmail for all emails.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

60 Minutes talked about this very thing last night and also advances in facial recognition. Some stuff in the home, like some TV's and apps on those little gizmos can do facial recognitions plus the GPS built in to some of them hand held gizmos like cell phones locate ya. Google apparently is one of the many companies behind it. In fact if your face is on Facebook that is another company. One guy showed he could ID a fellow and find his SS #. Facebook has a huge database of photos, much larger than the government.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

I have an android phone and pad.   I try to use bluetooth to transfer pictures.   Sometimes it works and somethimes it dont.   But Google/android tries to upload everything to different places.  I get onto pad the other day and there is a link to every picture I have on my phone.  I didn't ask for that or want my pictures floating around in a cloud.   When I call up picture on the pad, it will often put a box around faces.   I suppose they expect you to link names and other info to the faces.   Pictures have a "location" data element.   I have it turned off,  I think.  Mary found out by accident that her pictures taken on her Apple phone records the location.

We watch a lot of stuff on YouTube.  I've begun to notice that most of the ads are Stihl.  No doubt the the results of profiling basted on what we're watching. 

Yes, it's creepy what we know they know and what we suspect they know and to what uses they can use the info for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

No slip, as there wasn't any place to click to get directions on the page I was on. I am logged into google on my computer, and you have to be on the android phone. They must keep track of your searches when you are logged in and share that information between devices and aps like google maps.  Now that I have thought about it, I see how it happened, just was not expecting it. Kinda freaked me out for a moment.

Bibbyman

Back in 85 there was a TV series called "Max Headroom".  The evil government agents were always searching for "blanks", people that had hacked into the database and erased all their records.

I don't do Facebook or other social media for a reason.  Too much info out there already.

What is Google+? It keeps hounding me to share my pictures.   
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Watch 'Minority Report'. In one scene, Tom Cruise walks through a mall and triggers off adds directed at him. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

T Welsh

If you like technology and the little gadgets that come with it you may think its wonderful, personally its scares me WHO is watching me! I wonder why big brother is watching and what they intend to do with it? Just my opinion! Tim

Jeff

240b

My buddy from school works for the company which the 911 people call, when they can't figure out where you are.  He told me you don't even want to know what we are capable of.

SwampDonkey

That part isn't all that difficult actually to locate a place. Aerial photos with a properties layer with addresses and it's nothing to find your house. I only get a paper map from the boss man and I can find any block he sends and I've never even been there. This is out it the deep woods. If the police and emergency people can't use the same thing I use then there's issues.

Bibbyman

I can Google Map my address and see unnerving detail.   I can identify the near exact time they took the photo because I obtained a box van box from a guy who delivered it.   It set in one spot in the drive about an hour before we found a place to set it.  The box appears on the map were it set in waiting.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Like I've said before, as with most things online, "privacy is virtual" (ie. it doesn't really exist).

Bill

I gotta get out more - I just thought the Dr's office called (automatically ? ) to tell you your appt was coming - I've had Dr's ofc call me - a live person - to remind me about an appt the day before .

Course maybe they don't have a picture of me - I scotch taped a piece of paper over the pc's web cam - didn't want to break the fool thing with my mug . . .

;D

fat olde elf

Hang on folks ! You ain't seen nothing yet. Bonnie just bought a new Pana-
sonic phone system that makes our 4 YO system look like 2 cans and string.
I wish I were going to be around longer. I do refer to smart phones as smart ass phones.  Say your prayers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Tom the Sawyer

Bibby,

While in Google Maps/Earth you should be able to see the exact date the image was taken.  Yours was shot on 6/7/2011.  On the tool bar above the image there is a button that brings up 'historical imagery - lets you step back in time more than 20 years.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Brucer

Google made it very clear. They are going to collect as much information as they can about you from all the services they offer. Anything of theirs you subscribe to tells you this in their terms of service.

The official purpose is to enhance their service to you. Knowing about your interests, they can refine searches, expose you to the kind of advertising you're interested in, etc. And they can call you on your cell phone to tell you how to get to the appointment you just made.

Of course the more they know about you, the more valuable the information is to advertisers. Walking along the street and having a window display ad directed specifically at you is not science fiction stuff. It's happening today.

Those fancy "chip" credit cards that are supposed to enhance security can be read with off-the-shelf readers at a distance of about 4". New reader technology is expected to increase that to about 40". So one day you'll be walking down the street, see an ad directed at you, nod your head when you see it (without thinking about the consequences) and next thing you know the item you looked at will show up at your door, already paid for on your credit card. Notice I didn't put a smiley here.

I have my concerns about Google enhancing the searches to suit a person's interests. What if the person has expressed a certain bias in their on-line searches. Subsequent searches will reflect that bias. Before long the person gets the impression that the rest of the world shares his or her views, because that's the only thing he or she can find online.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!