iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First 5 jobs - all turned down

Started by NCDiesel, May 18, 2013, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

What is everyone's batting average for jobs?  I have had the sawmill six weeks and turned up 5 leads for sawing jobs.  All have ended up crazy that I obviously turned down.  Here the jobs:

1 - "Big Cedar Log".   In reality:  6" at the small tip.  I've driven much bigger ones as fence posts
2 - "7 Walnut Logs".  Ask size and length - 20-30" diameter and 12-14'' long.  Sounded good.   Go to look.  They were 7 24" long firewood bolts from a single 14' log.
3 - "Big Cedar tree - need to cut down".   Call and ask if near a power line or house since I am not insured.   Owner says no.  Get there - Near a power line and TWO houses.  It was big though!
4 - "Oak to cut on shares".   At first I resist(I may have posted about this lead here on the forum).  It is very close to me.  So I call him.  He says 50-50.  I say great.  I need some for a barn loft so I call later that day for an appointment to go see them.  Never returns my calls.
5 - "21 big Oak and Beech".   Guys says a portable sawmill can get down there.   Very close to me also.  So I go down today to scope it out.  These were actually really nice logs, but skidded through a muddy ditch(DIRTY) and then all precariously perched behind a big oak on a VERY steep hill (nearly 90 degrees) leading straight into that ditch.  No way to get the sawmill within 1/4 mile.

The guy that use to be my sawyer says not to worry, he'll get me some work but at this rate, I wonder.   What is everyone elses' batting average?  1 actual job in 10 calls?  1 in 20??

Just curious,

Sign me:

"Getting discouraged - would like to cut one paying job soon; just to get my feet wet "
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Gasawyer

Generally about 50 - 75% I get to saw and are worth doing. Now I tend to spend some time on the phone to educate them on what is expected, works most of the time. The ones that still want it done and can't get their act together charge them while you wait(also explained when talking on the phone). It should get better once you learn to ask the correct questions to really get at what they have and want done with it. Good Luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

Nothing like getting the junk out of the way to begin with.  There is smoother sailing ahead.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

I had a 4 hour minimum billing...$240 plus mileage just to show up. I never scoped out a job before hand. Pay the $240, I would cut their 7 pieces of firewood into boards for them.
Leave the tree takedowns to the pros, come in after the trees are down.
Just ask more pointed questions on the phone. Have them email photos. Driving around scoping out jobs is too time consuming and time is money.
Only jobs I had to turn down were when the logs exceeded 36 inches in diameter.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

beenthere

Those were not jobs that you wanted, they were headaches that you avoided.  8)

Hang in there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

A lot of people have no idea about dirty logs and the related challenges, I have seen some with large rocks embedded in the bark and sandy-mud covering 1/3 of the log as well as some that just needed to get the dirt cleaned off before you can even size them.
Access can be a problem that is not understood very well by property owners in many situations, what looks to them like you will fit may not be even close to getting in.
All you can hope for is that they listen when you try to explain how much room you need.
roll with it

Tom the Sawyer

NCDiesel,

That certainly is a run of bad luck, it will get better.  I ask a lot of questions on the phone and do a free site visit for each mobile job.  I try to provide a lot of information on my website that helps them understand the process and costs.  :P

In 2012 the percentage of my site visits that resulted in jobs was 64%.  Another 10% were 'unsuitable' for milling or beyond my equipment's capacities.  One that I know of chose another mill because they had a kiln.  A couple were overwhelmed by the whole process and I figure the remainder just aren't ready to proceed.   smiley_headscratch

I've had clients call to set an appointment more than a year after their first call or site visit.   smiley_thumbsup 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Peter Drouin

and site visit to me makes it easyer on my back some times.
where customers want to put logs some times is not good for me :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

As another member said,I never lost money on a job I did not take.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

In 10 years of sawing, I've only turned down one job!

I went to look at it before taking the mill in, and the logs were "tree-length" small Red Pine.  They were stacked though!

I don't have support equipment other than my Stihl 021 chain saw, so I told her NO!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

I think jobs 3 & 5 have potential,
Give a call and explain what you need to perform the work.
Only cost you 5 minutes,

Don't get discouraged, use this as a learning opportunity
Market, Market, Market :)

best
DGD

NCDiesel

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Its much appreciated.  As Paul Harvey used to say, here is the rest of the story:

I do realize #1 was my fault, I didn't ask questions. 

I learned though and by #2 I asked questions.   But what idiot thinks a 2' firewood bolt is a "log"?

#3 was just a total liar and he was hoping I would get there and change my mind about cutting near houses and lines.  That tree will have to come down in sections by a professional arborist.  In fact my theory is he was canvasing sawyers and firewood guys as a way to pay less than the the $750 a good arborist would charge for the take-down and removal and still have firewood or lumber to boot.

#4 is just a flaker and I assumed I would run across some of them and I wasn't too disappointed or surprised.

#5 is unwilling to hire the equipment to get it up the hill as he is:

"...done spending money on handling logs.  They will be cut where they sit or rot where they sit".

Having said that, I think that is just his frustration talking.   I don't think he really wants to let them rot.  Maybe I'll hear back on that one.  Some firewood guys may get them tho.

Thanks again,

NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Migal

The power company here will cut down tree's by their lines and leave them on the ground for you here, might be a option on #3
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Delawhere Jack

NDC, sounds about par for the course. If you're not already, try running a craigslist ad, that'll really bring up the squirrels.

Probably one out of eight calls I get end up being serious and result in work. There are an awful lot that are just curious, and a couple recently that I'm pretty certain were from other millers scoping me out.

When you do land some jobs, be sure to give the customer 3-4 business cards. Some of my best jobs have come from referrals.

Don't lose your cool when talking with people though. I've had some that contacted me six months earlier that did end up having me mill for them. I thought I'd never hear from them again.

YellowHammer

Its hits or miss with customers, don't get discouraged.  I've found that if it sounds fishy or is a peanut job I tell them to bring their logs to me.  That way I'm not wasting my time, and if they really want their logs sawn that bad, and go to the effort to get them to me, I'll sure figure out a way to saw them.

Guy #5 sounds promising, I'd try to figure out a way to convince him to give me his logs (or most of them) if I could figure how to get them out.  Lots of time when a I hear a landowner give up on a bunch of logs like that, they are usually willing to either give them away to get them out of the way, or make a really good deal.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scully

Most of what I have done has been right here at home . I did 1 mobile job that was decent and they had support equip.etc. I am finding that having a few hemloc logs laying around is a good thing ! I have milled a bunch of stuff for sheds ,barns etc . I find that folks that need that stuff are eager to pay as well . I try and network as much as I can ,and it is paying off . Like you I am frustrated sometimes because I want to get out there and really dig into a log pile and make a buck ! I do take down tree's as a sideline and that is beginning to pay of a little , but I have been using my cummins dodge as a log skidder ,that works well but I dented the rear 1/4 the other day and that is not good ! See if you can get a log or 2 worth milling at your place then advertise it for sale . That might help get you started and give you your fix for getting some sawdust flying !
I bleed orange  .

delvis

You can only take the jobs that are going to pay for you or you'll be chasing every dollar you might be able to make.  I turned down a job last fall from a perosn who had some very nice pine he wanted to saw to make a camp.  Beautiful big stuff, about 10,000 feet of it.  The problem:  It was all still on the stump, he didn't have a decent way to get to his landing without dragging it all over the ground and mud, and the site was located 1/2 mile in on an OLD logging trail that would have made someone a nice Jeep path.  I don't think I could have gotten the mill in there without hanging it up on something.

Got another one this year that I am going to have to say no to.  Guy has two dozen transmission line poles he wants sawn into beams and what not.  Telephone poles are a pain at best and the blades are very expensive.  In the end, if he wants to shell out the cash for $80 blades, I'll give it a shot, but I doubt he will.

My grandfather always told me if people bring bad logs they must want bad lumber, but the word he used for bad was a little more colorful shall we say.  Lol.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

dboyt

I don't think you had a run of bad luck, just a run of good judgement.  One thing I've learned is to make sure the customer knows the difference between diameter and circumference when describing the size of a log.  On the other hand, don't be too quick to turn down a job.  Mill small oddball stuff by the hour.  One job cutting oversize logs could more than pay for a long bar and ripping chain which you can use to break down other big logs so they will go on the mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

OlJarhead

I'm new to this too :)

1.  Got a call to mill a logging truck load -- was pretty excited and tried to make that deal work...when time came closer I was told 25 cents a board foot or he would find someone else -- he found someone else.
2.  Contacted to do a job on a dozen logs, did a site visit, advised where to put the logs etc, did the job and got 23 to mill :D  Also hired out my tractor during the work.
3.  Asked to do a small Cherry log -- did it. 
4.  Asked to come get some big logs -- they were WAY too big.  Couldn't do it.
5.  Asked to do a small walnut -- customer came by twice but never returned.
6.  Asked by someone else to do walnut -- he didn't come back either.
7.  Asked about doing a 30" pine (width) -- sorry too big!
8.  Called to do barn beams -- may do them yet but sounding unlikely as the customer doesn't really want to pay my min 4 hours plus travel and setup (and I'm ok with that too).
9.  Called to do a job out of town in a month or two -- may yet do it.

So my percentage is around 2 for 9 but might improve to 50% soon.  All that really matters to me though is that I'm getting calls and word is getting out there :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

petefrom bearswamp

This is why I am stationary.
If they get the logs to me i saw either by the BF or by the hr.
Did a 38" white pine 2 weeks ago.
took a lot of whittling with a chain saw and making a multi sided log but got er done by the hr.
Got rich? heck no but loved the challenge.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Sixacresand

A friend of mine has 30"at the base pine blown down in his yard.  That is too big for me, but somewhere maybe halfway up, it will be 24", something I can mill with out ripping with chainsaw.  They are turning the tree removal as a gathering of kinfolks with chainsaws, backhoes and trailers.  And when Baptist Kin gather, we eat.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

SawyerBrown

Quote from: giant splinter on May 19, 2013, 12:04:32 AM
A lot of people have no idea about dirty logs and the related challenges, I have seen some with large rocks embedded in the bark and sandy-mud covering 1/3 of the log as well as some that just needed to get the dirt cleaned off before you can even size them.
Access can be a problem that is not understood very well by property owners in many situations, what looks to them like you will fit may not be even close to getting in.
All you can hope for is that they listen when you try to explain how much room you need.

And then there's the other end of the spectrum ... did a job for a guy a few weeks back who had 3 walnut logs ... when I got there, they were laying in the driveway, he had power-washed all the bark off of them ... couldn't have been any cleaner if they'd been through a washing machine!!   8)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

delvis

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 20, 2013, 12:57:51 PM
I'm new to this too :)

1.  Got a call to mill a logging truck load -- was pretty excited and tried to make that deal work...when time came closer I was told 25 cents a board foot or he would find someone else -- he found someone else.

We'd love to get $.25 per foot in central Maine!
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Thank You Sponsors!