iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bug and a fifth (wheel)

Started by Jeff, May 17, 2013, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I wonder why this never took off? Looks pretty cool for its time.

http://www.wimp.com/beetleidea/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dovetails

Maybe not enough horse power for the hills? I would like a closer look at the wireing harness for it also!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

customsawyer

I think I will bring one to the pig roast.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ancjr

The idea of painting the beetle like a mouse and the trailer as a cat comes to mind....

WDH

Jake,

You can tow it with your bike  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I can just imagine the look of sheer terror on the driver's face as he comes down the Coquihalla Pass with smoke pouring off what passes for brakes on that bug.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

giant splinter

Seem like a great idea, great mileage and lots of room to streach out.
roll with it

customsawyer

Danny you would try to mount the hitch to my helmet. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bedway

Its amazing what people will come up with. I say that with admiration. Im with you Jeff, i think its slick.

justallan1

I think with todays materials available it's possible. I'd just be worried about winds.

Allan

maurice-r

That brings back a memory!  Perhaps 35-40 years ago, as a teen, I saw something like this in a parade.  But it fit a full size passenger sedan, similar to this as the parade turned a street corner, the driver took opportunity to change from driving forward to driving backward.  Never saw another one...

MrPete

I'm thinking of mounting it on a jeep TJ.  That would be great if you could get all the "bugs" worked out! :D

TimRB

My guess is that it didn't take off because it's not even approximately safe.  Mounting a trailer hitch to the roof rails of a Volkswagen Beetle?  Seriously?  Even if it were directly bolted to the sheet metal of the roof it wouldn't be strong enough.

Tim

D L Bahler

I wonder what the DOT would do when they saw you...

GDinMaine

I like how easily it turns.  However when you apply the breaks while turning, the force of the trailer is trying to roll over the car. Another thought is that most cars would not stand up to this type of use.  The roof structure would have to be reinforced.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

coxy

looks cool to me  look out Woodstock here we come     next will be the smart car :D

Brad_S.

Everything old is new again
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

schakey

I can see me passing this with a set of doubles, looking in the mirrors and seeing the bug and camper laying on it's side. smiley_devilish
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

thecfarm

I wonder if any of those VW campers were sold to the public? I would think that one would survice and be at auto shows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!