iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood MX 34 question

Started by Rando, May 16, 2013, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rando

Down helping my friend on the Norwood for a few minutes. He had a 14"X14" cant. Started sawing off a 2" board and the blade jumped off the pulleys.
What I noticed is the pulley on the tightening side is wobbly when I grab it on each side of itself. Also, the other pulley is too.
I put a straight edge against both pulleys and the tightening side seems catawampus if you know what I mean. Not straight across but at an angle.
How do I correct that problem?
Still having some wavy cut problems but looked better today. My friend said he was tightening the blade more.
Thank you.

dgdrls

sounds like the Pulley bearings worn out, worth checking the pulley mounting shaft when you have the assembly removed,

I wouldn't continue to saw with it until the issue is resolved,

DGD

Rando

Coming from a mowing background that's what it sounds like to me. Only have maybe 3-5 hours on the mill.

hamish

Adjust your blade tracking.  On both bandwheels there are bolts to adjust the tracking of the band.

The band tension is what keeps the wheels in alignment/tension (for lack of another way to say it).  If no band is on the mill you will be able to move the wheels through all the axis.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

losttheplot

The band wheels on my LM 2000 are not coplanar.
I can not have them coplanar and keep the band tracking where it is supposed too, I don't try to.
The clutch and the driven band wheel should be coplanar.

I don't know if the MX 34 has the same clutch, idler and driven wheel system as the LM2000.

With a band on I can rotate the driven wheel by hand and look at the drive belt as it enters the groove in the driven wheel.
If it is trying to climb up one side of the groove or the other it is out of alignment.
Also if one side of the drive belt is worn more than the other it is a sign the idler is out of alignment.
Adjustment is made by adjusting the idler pulley.
Hopefully the MX34 has a better idler adjustment system than the LM2000.

If you dont have the same drive system as the LM2000 I cant help you  :) :)

As Hamish said, There should be a small amount of play in the band wheels when there is no load on them.
About the same amount of play as a trailer wheel.

Good luck.
LTP
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

dboyt

Changing the tension on the MX34 also changes the tracking.  Bring the blade up to tension, the spin it by hand through a few revolutions to see where the blade rides on the bandwheels.  There should be just about 1/8" of blade tooth sticking out from under each bandwheel.  With this tension, both bandwheels should be at least close to co-planar.  If you increase the tension, the blade will track further back on the idler bandwheel and may come off, so any change in tension requires you to re-check the tracking.  That's just the way this particular mill works, and once you learn to keep an eye on the tracking, it cuts great.  The bandwheel bearings are not sealed, and need to be greased at least every 8 hours of run time.  Hope this helps.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Mike@Norwood

Hi Rando

It sounds like you're having a tracking issue. I'd suggest calling our toll-free number at 1-800-567-0404 and asking for Brian. He's our lead designer and head of technical support. He'll get you straightened out in no time at all.

Thanks

Mike at Norwood

beenthere

QuoteChanging the tension on the MX34 also changes the tracking.

That indicates that something isn't lined up right. Do as Mike suggests, to avoid that frustration.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

By the way, does your friend with the Norwood get on the forum?

Rando

dboyt,
I sent him a link to this hoping he would get involved. Not sure if he even looked.
It's not his mill, the new guy in town bought it and my friend is in charge of milling logs for him.

muskoka guy

I would try rereading the manual. The manual covers all the adjustments required to set the tracking correctly. There is an adjuster on both wheels. Maybe he is trying to set the tracking by adjusting one side only. I found the string line method work well on our mx 34. good luck.

Rando

I finally got the manual yesterday. I'll take it with me to the mill and follow directions. My friend never read it, just winged it. We see how well that went!

Macgyver

In my opinion, the manual for Norwoods is a must-read, even if you're buying one already assembled.  It really gives you an in-depth look at how the thing works.  Both drive wheels will wobble when there's no tension (no blade) on them...it's completely normal and fine.  Check out the diagram of the internals in the book and you'll see what I mean.  The wheels will seem "catawampus" or not in line until you put the right amount of tension on them, then the urethane spring compresses, and things line up as they should.  If you're still having problems after reading the manual, I would call Brian at Norwood (as Mike mentioned), but it sounds like something that can be fixed with some tracking adjustment.   Good luck, have fun!
Smile! It confuses people

Rando

Took the manual over and went one step at a time. Asked my friend if that's how he did it the first time he put a blade on. "No, just winged it." Oy!
Seems to be cutting without the waves now.
Now we can get to cutting some of the big spruce logs.
We have a project the owner wants us to do. It's a sofa designed by a Swedish guy I think he said. Made with 6"X7" cants. I'll try to find a picture of it.

ladylake

You have it cutting good and you going to put a big spruce log on it, that will really test it. Use a blade with a lot of set.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

I cut a spruce log once. It was cut for the power line up the road. I made more boards for the brush pile than what I kept. Man,that spruce did not good for me at all. I think you need a certain set??? I would not make a bunch of adjustments if it don't cut good. When I got done puuting the "boards" on the brush pile I put a white pine on and it cut the way it should of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hamish

Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2013, 09:36:00 PM
I cut a spruce log once. It was cut for the power line up the road. I made more boards for the brush pile than what I kept. Man,that spruce did not good for me at all. I think you need a certain set???

For spruce and knotty white pine, an increase in the set helps a lot (3-8 thousand over factory) as does cutting the log small end first, as the density of the knots is lesser it seems.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Rando

Cut some tulip today. Log was about 22" and the mill did a nice job.
Customer with the mill wants a sofa made. I don't know how to do a link to the image but it's a Soren Rose Aspen Sofa.
Those 3" slabs 20" wide and 10' long are a tad heavy. Even the 6"X7"X4' pieces were heavy. Maybe it's my age showing.

dboyt

Rando, I'd love to see some photos.  My understanding is that you have to start a gallery on Forestry Forum and upload photos to it before you can include them in the postings.  If you don't already have a gallery set up, click on the gallery button at the top of the screen, and it will pretty much walk you through the process.  It is worth it.

I assume tulip is the same as yellow poplar?  Easy to cut, and it produces some nice looking boards.

Rando

dboyt,
I'll see if I can get my wife to do some pictures. She's more literate with that stuff than me. I looked at it and just shook my head.
Tulipfera liriodendron or something like that.
Got a black birch, about12" or so my friend wants to mill next. At least it will be easier than wrestling with those big tulip logs!

dboyt

Right, same tree.  Straight grain, easy to cut, pretty wood.  Once you get more experience with the cant hook, 22" won't seem so big.  Keep us updated.

swampbuggy

pretty cool sofa. Nice for outdoors.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hummm......copy and paste to my file. Thanks for sharing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rando

Thanks swampbuggy for posting the pictures.
Now the guy thinks we should make some more as he has a big party coming up in August. All the same to me.

Thank You Sponsors!