iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is a chestnut oak like this worth, and how to saw it?

Started by hunz, May 16, 2013, 01:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

So I have eyed this tree for a year or two now, and wondered what would be the best way to "keep the value of the tree. It is a chestnut oak about 40" in diameter dbh and clear about 40' up until the first branch. A tree like this is probably pushing 150 years old, so I want to make sure I use it appropriately. Would you guys just saw wide slabs for table tops or ,4/4 it? I am wondering if it may be curly as well, the bark makes 3 full twists from bottom to top (90'-100') thoughts?

My phone belt clip is 6" wide just for reference.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

beenthere

Quotethe bark makes 3 full twists from bottom to top (90'-100')
You are describing spiral grain in the oak. That may translate to twisted lumber, slabs, or whatever you saw out of the logs. Will be good to keep that in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Your tree twists backwards. :D :D

If that were my tree I would leave it right where its living.  I'm sure a lot of squirrels call it home.  And to handle that size of log is really hard, even on a bigger hydraulic mill. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_S.

I agree with the guys above...it will most likely give you twisted lumber.
It also looks like there are some nubs in the photo you posted. Just because there is not a branch there now doesn't mean there weren't some in the recent past. Result: twisted knotty lumber.
If all of that still hasn't scared you off, then quarter sawing is what I do when I get my hands on large oaks. If it is indeed old and the growth rings are tight, that results in even more spectacular rays.
If it is indeed knotty, then I would make dunnage.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

hunz

Well thanks for the insight guys. The lower parts of the tree definitely have bulges where old branches have been. It sure would be a shame to go through all the work of sawing it up only to have twisted lumber. I believe I will leave her be right where she stands.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

mesquite buckeye

When it is time to harvest this tree, I agree largely with what has been said above. That said, everything dies, so when the tree starts to decline and lose its upper twigs, it is time to harvest the tree.

Here is a strategy for milling that just might work to deal with the spiral grain. Buck the logs into relatively short lengths, not to exceed 8-10 feet. Split the tree down the middle. Cut the half logs perpendicular to the splitting cut AND parallel to the spirals. This would have the effect of straightening out the twist, at least partially and might reduce the twist losses.

Just a random thought.

Also looks like you have an old, grown over cat face on the butt log. Maybe an old lightning strike.

You could probably get some super nice fireplace mantles out of it. Just cut them a little extra big to accommodate the twist, cleaning it up square after the timbers have dried.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ron Wenrich

Swelled branch stubs is usually an indication that its hollow. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JSwigga

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 16, 2013, 05:49:27 PM
Swelled branch stubs is usually an indication that its hollow. 

I've found them both ways. I was thinking when I first saw the picture I bet it is hollow.

It would be interesting to find out if it ever gets cut. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!