iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automotive Warranty Extension Plans.

Started by Chris Burchfield, May 16, 2013, 09:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

I bought my Ram 3500 new May 2007.  I have 57,000 on it.  I put a new set of tires on it about six months ago.  Noticed excessive wear on the front tires.  Also the check engine light came on about three days before I took it into the shop.  Normally the check engine light would clear after three full up to operating temp and cool offs.  Well it's going to get all new ball joints for the front end and the blower/turbo went out.  $3200.  I paid 17-1800 for the extension out to 7 years which is up next year.  $100 deductible.  Parts are on order, should get the truck back friday about noon, nock on wood. 
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

moosehunter

I have dealt with extended warrantee companies for many years in my day job. Some of them are great, some of them are not worth the paper they are written on. Sounds like you have one of the good ones - especially if they are covering ball joints. Most companies consider them "Normal wear items" and will not cover them.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

pappy19

Everyone with a turbo diesel needs extended warranty coverage. Very, very few ever make it much past the normal warranty period without some fuel related issue including turbo and tranny problems.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Brucer

Before you sign, take the warranty to a friendly mechanic. Ask him/her about what isn't covered. It can be a real eye-opener.

The one I looked at did not cover "heat exchangers". Well, I know what that is -- it's the radiator. Not a big deal. Except it also turns out that the intercooler on a turbocharged engine is also a heat exchangers and that is a big deal if it fails.

All the instruments on my instrument panel were covered. So was the wiring. The sensors were not.

Diagnostics were not covered in my case. If you get a diagnostic issue in a computer/electrical system it can take ages to troubleshoot.

There was no deception involved in this particular warranty. Everything was spelled out in great detail. Examples were given in many cases. But how many people would know about all the heat exchangers on a car? Heck, I just found out that my Smart car has a fuel cooler (which is a heat exchanger).

An experienced mechanic is more likely to understand the implications and be able to tell you in English.

I'm glad I got the extended warranty for my Smart Car. My son-in-law is sorry he got on for his Saturn.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!