iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Mortiser and power auger questions

Started by isaacpopp, May 14, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaacpopp

I was at a nearby "recycle shop" (which is basically a thrift store but better) today and they got a whole bunch of new items since I was last there. Two of these items really caught my attention.
Towa (Ryobi?) Chain Mortiser.

I looked around online and it seems like it is the CM-40 model. I didn't get a super close look at it because I plan on going back and talking to the guy about it and to see if it has any issues. It does have a damaged power cord (taped up) but that should be an easy enough replacement. The chain looks like it is very good condition as well and I understand that is one of the most expensive parts of the machine.

The other item is something I know less about. It is a Makita 7303 (powered auger?) not really sure what the name in English is but it is set up on a chassis like the mortiser though it has a square-housed auger bit in it.

I appologize for the image quality.

My question is what would be a decent price to pay for these machines? and does anyone have any experience with them? I am especially interested in the chain mortiser.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." A.L.

Jay C. White Cloud

If they are under $500 and are still running they can be refurbished.  Check to see if you can get parts for them still.  Electric engines can be rebuilt for a few hundred dollars.  I have used both, and the "chisel mortiser" is no longer sold here in the United States and are in demand if in good shape.  Again check for parts.   8) great find!!!!

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

giant splinter

Those are both good tools as long as the still work and the castings arent damaged
roll with it

isaacpopp

Since this is the first time I have seen a mortiser in person what should I be looking at/checking before I decide whether or not to buy it?
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." A.L.

giant splinter

Check all the clamp and tangent adjustments to be sure nothing is out of order and movement is smooth, look for play or slop around the chain on the chain mortiser and the tightness of the bit and slot on the slot mortiser as well as the bit and slot chisel for side wear and fit, have the shop plug them in and turn them on "carefully" the back off to see if anything is grinding or rubbing.
One of the things that can show up is the chain bar can be loose  and jump around when it enters the mortise, this can usually be adjusted tight but a sign of wear or abuse and can leave a sloppy mortise.
The clamping mechanisms should be inspected for cracks and worn threads as well. Both of the tools you photographed look in normal working condition and show normal wear and tear such as scuffed paint and chaffed rubber seals.
A new chain will probably cost more than you are going to pay for the tools themselves, take a close look at it  see if its sharp and wiggle it around a little to see if its not been abused.
I think you will have a couple of very useful power tools.
roll with it

isaacpopp

Thanks for the tips. I went back last night to go check them out closely but I didn't know they close at 7pm....
I'll have to go right after work today to go see them. I'm gonna be kicking myself for not looking at them when I was there the first time if they sell before I get back.  :-\

odaka

This is the first time that I have posted my message from Chiba, Japan, about 40 miles from Tokyo. I just want to say that I have secured a power auger on Yahoo auctions several months ago and I got it cheap. So I suggest that you look into what are offered there.

odaka
Norwood LumberLite ML26
Backhoe Yanmar Vio 15
Husky 395XP, 365, 346XP, 346XP

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Odaka San,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!!!  Thank you for contributing.  Do you mind sharing how much you think Isaacpopp should pay for one?

;D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

odaka

I am sorry I could not reply sooner. But it is very difficult to say how much I think he should pay for that. Since I am neither an expert on these tools nor in this business, and since I do not have any experience of using chain mortiser, I do not want to evaluate it. But as far as the other one--Makita 7303 goes, I got the similar one, just about the same condition, for as much as US$200 or 20000yen through the Internet(Yahoo auction). So, if you insist on asking me about the price, I would not pay more than 20000yen. Again it is very hard to evaluate it only from those pictures.
By the way, thank you very much for your kind words.

odaka
Norwood LumberLite ML26
Backhoe Yanmar Vio 15
Husky 395XP, 365, 346XP, 346XP

isaacpopp

Hey Odaka! Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of great people here with a wealth of knowledge.

I went back and ended up buying the chain mortiser (only) yesterday. I was thinking about going back to check out the Makita but I think I'll not do so after I read your last post. They have it priced for ¥24800 ($250) so I was a bit hesitant. I know it is a great price compared to what it would be in America but I have to think about transporting back to the US which will be a bit pricey for two machines.

It seems that the only real "damage" to the chain mortiser is that taped up power cord and a bent (aluminum?) gudieline piece near the opening of the cutting area. The motor runs great, the chain is sharp, and there are no cracks or anything.
The guys at the shop seemed to have no idea what this was beyond the fact that it made a square hole in a piece of wood. I found this out the hard way when the guy said he wanted to show me how it works and then put a 2x4 on between the giude rails and the chain... I had to stop him.

You guys would flip if I told you how much I paid for it.  ;D  8)

Been on the go since I got it home so here is a quick shot of the specs from the top of the unit:

canopy

"but I have to think about transporting back to the US"

You do know the voltage in Japan is not the same as the US.  A sticker on the machine says it is rated to run on Japan's voltage only. I am not sure what the higher voltage of the US would do to that device but a transformer is normally used to step down the voltage when running devices intended for Japan.

isaacpopp

Quote from: canopy on May 16, 2013, 07:54:17 PM
You do know the voltage in Japan is not the same as the US. I am not sure what the higher voltage of the US would do to that device but a transformer is normally used to step down the voltage when running devices intended for Japan.

Yes. I was aware of the difference in voltage. Japan uses 100V versus 110~120 in the US.
Thanks for looking out for me though.  :)

giant splinter

Isacc
Before you start to use the mortiser check out the video of Mark at Timberwolf Tools in Maine showing how to operate the Makita chain mortiser ..... it is fairly easy to mess the equipment up without some instruction. Care must be taken as to how to move over and move laterally with the chain as well as the initial plunge cut needs to start off easy and steadily. Perhaps somone here will have the Ryobi Model and can share the best techniques with you.
roll with it

isaacpopp

Quote from: giant splinter on May 17, 2013, 12:28:31 AM
Isacc
Before you start to use the mortiser check out the video of Mark at Timberwolf Tools in Maine showing how to operate the Makita chain mortiser ..... it is fairly easy to mess the equipment up without some instruction. Care must be taken as to how to move over and move laterally with the chain as well as the initial plunge cut needs to start off easy and steadily. Perhaps somone here will have the Ryobi Model and can share the best techniques with you.

That's a good suggestion, thanks. Like I said, I have little experience so I would have ended up using the trial-by-error method most likely... That wouldn't leave me too happy in this case.

Thank You Sponsors!