iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

reaching my limit

Started by Po-Jo, May 14, 2013, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Po-Jo

After reading here for a.while i thought i would give an oak tree that was killed when i beleive had been sprayed, it was next to planted pines, i seen no sign of lightning strike, but its dead as a door nail and has been for some.time, the top was starting to fall out, this peice was the top peice it has some punky wood in it, i got 3 more peices to get out of the woods that are in much better shape , this peice whittled down is still 24" diameter, the others are bigger, this stuff is HEAVY, i have been pushing the limits of myself and the tracter, any suggestions on how to cut this? Since i only air dry and with it getting hot should i dry in the shade or sun/covered?

mad murdock

That will be some nice oak boards!  Not an expert here, but if it were me, I would cut it according to what I planned on doing with it. If it were going into furniture or finer woodworking projects, I would quarter saw, if odd and end boards for fencing, barn or other general maintenance, then maybe plainsawn.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Shade.  The stack should be covered to keep the sun and rain off the wood.  You need plenty of air flow, so don't put the stack next to a wall or in an enclosed space.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

First thing I'd do is reinforce the bridge from the deck to the frame!  I'd quarter saw as much as possible.  Temperature of air drying won't matter as much as the humidity, but it would be better in the shade with good air flow through the stacks. Yes, oak can be really heavy!  Looking forward to photos of the boards!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Po-Jo

The bridge is 5/8. X 4" steel. It too will get tested along wigh the rest, any special considerations when cutting oak? Was wanting to use in the house ,maybe flooring or furniture, if all goes well

millwright

Up in this neck of the woods we have alot of red oak and white oak, they both seem to saw with no big problems.

WDH

Oak is pretty easy to work with.  It needs to dry slower than most species.  Unless you dry it too fast, it is hard to mess up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

Quote from: Po-Jo on May 15, 2013, 04:11:24 PM
The bridge is 5/8. X 4" steel. It too will get tested along wigh the rest, any special considerations when cutting oak? Was wanting to use in the house ,maybe flooring or furniture, if all goes well

5/8" steel will be plenty.  Couldn't tell from the photo, thought maybe it was plywood.  With a sharp blade, it will cut nicely.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!