iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best size bar for a 075 for bucking oak?

Started by pabst79, May 14, 2013, 09:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

Would like advice on what size bar to run on my 075, for felling and bucking up oak in the 24" and up size. I usually use my 046 for big work, but picked up a 075 for peanuts and she runs nice, but needs a new bar and chain. I would like to hear from folks with knowledge in this type of monster?
thanks
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

AdkStihl

Quote from: pabst79 on May 14, 2013, 09:09:08 PMI would like to hear from folks with knowledge in this type of monster?
thanks

Advise.....keep the 075 in the shed unless you need to pull a 32" or longer bar.
Or simply turn the 075 into a milling saw.
Your 460 will cut circles around that 075.....they just dont have the RPM and they tend to vibrate themselves apart.
J.Miller Photography

pabst79

I may need a 32" bar a few times a year, I kind of figured when I picked up the 075 that it may just be a hotrod instead of a practical saw I need, but I couldn't pass the opportunity.  :)

sawguy21

That 075 is a torque monster, will easily run .404 on a 32" bar. As AdkStihl says, they do vibrate and shed parts plus they are DanG heavy. I still want to meet the guy who can keep the decompression valve from falling out. :D Definitely high maintenance like my ex girlfriend.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

A couple years ago Cut for Fun and I made a trip to south Indiana for a GTG .14 saws and one old Ranger with a bad tranny and 200 miles one way .

" Computor user " from Mich was there with both an 075 and 076 .I ran both of them and quite honestly they had plenty of power but just like any large saw not a thing a person would care to run in a regular bassis .I'd imagine they could handle a 48" bar .

I'd have to check but I think it's the same bar pattern mount as an 084 .A new one would cost a kings ransome .Every so often Craigs list or flea bay has a large Stihl bar come up .

Now another option is to mill out the slot on an 066 size .Fact I have a retrofitted 42" on an 084 .

pabst79

I didn't want to pay 150 bucks for a bar, for a saw that my local stihl dealer told me I paid too much for.. He claims that the 075's were junk, however after reading old posts from this forum, I see not everyone agrees? I'm glad I found this forum as a new member I'm impressed with all the great info! Anyhow I found a 33" bar and new chain from a guy on the left for 75$. I now have 275 total in the 075 and it runs great, so i figure what could go wrong? I'm knocking on wood right now! :)

Ed

Al,
Heres Brandons 075, not exactly sure of the bar length but it went thru that White Oak with no problems.

Ed

pabst79

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 17, 2013, 02:41:16 PM
72" being pulled by a Dolmar 166

Need to find a tree big enough to need that bar.  ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

AdkStihl

It wasn't a small piece of wood by any means
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Just like the comment about 066/Ms 660 Stihls once you get to a certain size there is very little difference in how they cut .

No matter who made them the large saws were made for a specific use and that being large timber .The things are the Clydesdales of chainsaws .

In the case of the subject of this post that old Stihl especially for the price will likely last almost  forever unless it gets abused .

Branden was a tad bit intimidated in Indiana running my Homelite 2100S but quite frankly although it was louder it really didn't have a leg up on his two large Stihls .Keep in mind before that event he had never been on the trigger of a large saw with a long bar .

I might mention Brad S. has a beautifully restored 076 with some slight enhancements done to the engine .

So I'd have to disagree with the comment that Stihl dealer made because for it's intended use  that 076 certainly will get the job done .

mad murdock

Here in the PNW, guys will go up to 60" with an 075 with full skip chain cutting mostly doug fir. I need to get me a deal on a 60". Mine 075 is currently wearing a 36" bar. It is one cutting machine, no doubt!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

I doubt the OP would ever need a 60" to mill with .

Gerry B mentions ripping coast redwood with either an 075 or 076 or 056 Mag because they were so plump even the big west coast mills couldn't handle the size .I can't remember which model but he said that thing could rip out more shock mounts than any saw he ever ran .

Spent half of Saturday repairing the dang saw which got into his fishing time which rather annoyed him .

Can you imagine ripping big redwood logs all day ,my heavens .

Paul_H

I have a soft spot for the 075's and 051's.They were the first saws I used when I began logging and we had 36" bars most of the time.You all are right about vibrating apart,loctite was needed as well as spare screws in the glove box of the crummy.
In 1980 we logged up behind Woodfibre,BC and some of the Douglas Fir were over 5' diameter.Beautiful wood but wouldn't want a steady diet of that size log.

I took this pic in Woodfibre 1980.If you look close there is a 075 sitting on the log under the boom of the loader.

The 075's were not junk,they were a well liked saw out here but we did switch over to the 2100's for a few years and then back to Stihl's with the 064 and 066's.

Enjoy that oldtimer.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

mad murdock

Awesome pic there PaulH!  My 075 was an old Weyco company saw that a friend of mine gave me. It was in non running condition, but 'twas nothing a bit of elbow grease and about $40 bucks of parts didn't fix. They are no slouch at 111 cc's displacement, and decent anti-vibe. They are a torque horse 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

pabst79

I sure appreciate all the info from you folks, the pic's are really cool. I figure I might use the 075 4-5 times a year, so it should last me awhile.

Al_Smith

Maybe 4-5 times maybe not .You'll find out more than likely that in time you'll have to fire it up even for just a putt-putt to keep it limbered up .

pabst79

That may be, either way the sound of them old saws always puts a smile on my face ;D

Thank You Sponsors!