iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long bar has anyone ran on a 038 Stihl?

Started by LeakyBoot, May 14, 2013, 09:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeakyBoot

Need to cut some bigger oak and would be nice if the bar would reach all the way through.    I don't want to spend on somethig that it won't power.    I see ads in the old Farm Journals advertising Homelite Super XL's and say up to a 36 inch bar can be used.   Does an 038 have as much or more power ?   Thanks for comments.   LB

AdkStihl

While it might pull a 36" bar, it wont do it with authority. That 066 territory IMO.
28"-32" would be the longest I would use on an 038.
An 038 & 044 are fairly similar in terms of power output.
J.Miller Photography

Ianab

It might run a 36" bar, but you wont be very impressed by how it cuts. Like it will probably be faster to actually saw from both sides.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MEloggah

how big is the oak and how long of a bar do you have now?? i cut big red oak all winter, some 40-44" with a 20" bar with no issues.

Al_Smith

I have an 038 Mag that I put some soup to .As a plain statement of fact it pulls a 32 " with authority .I have no doubt it could handle a 36" .I don't have a 36" in that style mount to find out though .

Now if you're talking an 038 AV ,stock which is 60 cc instead of the 72cc of a mag it's unlikey it would handle much over 24" without undue pain and strain .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 14, 2013, 09:55:41 PM
I have an 038 Mag that I put some soup to .As a plain statement of fact it pulls a 32 " with authority .I have no doubt it could handle a 36" .I don't have a 36" in that style mount to find out though .

Now if you're talking an 038 AV ,stock which is 60 cc instead of the 72cc of a mag it's unlikey it would handle much over 24" without undue pain and strain .

I forgot about the regular 038AV being only 60cc. And I'm sure if you put a little mayo on it, the Mag will pull a 32" No problem.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Well for that matter I also have an 038 Av with some tricks .It does okay with a 24" but I seldom go there .Usually a 20" .

Now this I saw with my own eyes and ran the thing myself .Dan Henry aka Dozer Dan did an 044 that would pull a 36" and it's 70 cc's .

FWIW in stock form an 038 Mag has a little more grunt than an 044 but lacks a tad in RPMs' .Both are darned good saws .

bill m

That's all I ran for years were 038 mag saws until the 044 came out .Yes, they will handle a 36" bar as long as your not trying to push it. How often do you need a 36" bar? Daily, weekly, monthly? If only once a month or less I would use the 038 but more often then that maybe something in the ms660 size.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

gunn

My magII is equipped with a 28" bar and skip chain. It has no issues cutting through oak all day long. I can't comment about the smaller 038s.

Al_Smith

The 038 AV's,60 cc will handle a 24" but prefer a 20" in most cases .I can't say much about the 038 Super because I've only seen three in my life time .

hrhunter

I have used a 038 Super with a 24" with full comp chain and it seems to work fine.

louie

My 038 magnam runs a 20inch and 24 inch bar no problem what so ever and a if I need the larger 36 inch bar I use one of my 075 or my 076 mussel saws the 038 magnum I bort bran new what a great saw it has been the old girl still bites me on the fingers on a cold morning from the amount of  compression it has. ;D

Al_Smith

Trot on down to the Stihl dealer and buy an 046 rescue saw D-handle .About 6 bucks and it takes the bite out of those starts .

ND rancher

Since this thread is talking about 038's I need to ask about a starting problem in my 038AV.It will not start cold unless you put gas in,on carb.,then it fires and runs great.When warm starts fine,cool you pull a lot to fire up! Any ideas?
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

ladylake

ND
  Try a new air filter as it has the choke inside it.  It might not be closing all the way.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Rebuild the carb on that 038 and quit playing patty cake with it .It's a simple matter the soft members are not pumping as well at cranking speeds because they have stiffened up .Once you get a fuel chamber full of fuel it will do okay for the rest of the day .

Thank You Sponsors!