iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Keeping square

Started by moandrich, May 14, 2013, 06:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moandrich

The hydraulic uprights keep going out of square.  Makes it about 10 hours.  No big impact, lift log on with arms.  Bolts are rusted on nut side pretty bad.  Was hoping WM service would be here soon but have not heard from them.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

dgdrls

Kroil,  to start loosening the rust on those bolts,

DGD

Chuck White

One thing I've noticed over the years since I started sawing was we have a tendency to over tighten the clamp when securing a log or cant!

Apply just enough power to the clamp to hold the log or cant.

It doesn't take all that much to hold them in place!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I believe most uprights are bent out of square from large logs rolling agenst them when loading.The uprights on my homebuilt are just slightly out,but I leave them that way I know how much air I should see between the cant and the upright and it makes it easier to swing them up and down.My mill is stationary and level if a piece is critical the second cut is checked with a level,boards, it makes little difference.On the Mizer their should be a way to adjust them short of a big sledge. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Quote from: dgdrls on May 14, 2013, 06:43:35 AM

DGD

Blue Creeper from LogRite leaves Kroil in its dust, and have used a lot of Kroil over some years. ;)

But when Blue Creeper's predecessor (formerly Rust Reeper) came to light, there were too many successes that Kroil wouldn't touch. Just sayin....  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: beenthere on May 14, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

DGD

Blue Creeper from LogRite leaves Kroil in its dust, and have used a lot of Kroil over some years. ;)

But when Blue Creeper's predecessor (formerly Rust Reeper) came to light, there were too many successes that Kroil wouldn't touch. Just sayin....  :)

Amen!

+1 to Blue Creeper (formerly Rust Reeper...)

Herb

grweldon

Never heard of Blue Creeper but I have found great success with PB Blaster...  Next time I need some, I'll look for Blue Creeper and try it out...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

gr

Might not find it yet in the local hardware.....

Here is a link
http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/bluecreeper

And some forum introduction in the bluecreeper board.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,61.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodweasel

TRI-FLOW is another excellant product! Its made by Krylon!I use it on tugboats and barges in a salt water enviroment! Works real well on the Ranch and on the Mizer! ;D ;D

delvis

Quote from: beenthere on May 14, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

DGD

As amazing as Kroil is, Blue Creeper must be out of this world.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

beenthere

It is....  as several many have discovered.  8)

Notwithstanding, is the more favorable smell the Bluecreeper has over the odor of the Kroil.
south central Wisconsin

rmack

quite often you can use oxy-acetylene flame, from brazing or cutting tip, just heat the nut cherry red, let cool for a minute, end of problem. heat expansion will break rust bond. if the nut has a long way to go to get off bolt threads you can heat them too then quick scrub with wire brush or wheel :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Okrafarmer

Woodmizer makes just about every part of their mills adjustable. On the older ones like my 1990 LT40HD, I have a hard time adjusting the vertical side supports. We've tried a lot of things and made some improvement. The old ones can be a bear, though. The manual give you the procedure for the adjustment, but it can take a lot of biceps and blue creeper.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jim H

The older style mills use a diagonal slot for adjustment. I had trouble with these staying in adjustment on an older mill. I ended up retrofitting the newer style parts which use a cam shaped slot. The newer style stays in adjustment much better. Hope this helps,   Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Okrafarmer

Pineywoods told me soemthing else today, too. He said if you don't have any more adjustment left on your side supports, you can weld another piece of steel on to make it straight. You will have to make sure you get your angle right.

Sitting here thinking about it (I do my best thinking from 10PM to 2AM), I just realized instead of welding it on, you could make it adjustable with bolts and slots.
8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

JustinW_NZ

I can never get my front one adjusted 100% because its just worn away from lots of wear with logs turning on it i guess.
I do seem too give them a good bang with big logs and such tho so i do check them myself every now and then, im portable so i always like to check these things every now and then after dragging the mill around anyway.

I recently pulled all the backstops off the mill and repainted them and put all new fastners on them so tweaking then isnt a mission.
Cheers

Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

millstead

I have an older lt30 and the uprights are not adjustable. I'm thinking about changing  to the new style I was wondering if Woodmizer sells the uprights or if I have to make them

Okrafarmer

What year is it? I've never seen a WM that wasn't adjustable. Not saying it ain't so. Maybe in the early years they hadn't invented adjustability yet.

rmack

The problem I have with my lt40 super is the stainless covers on the backstops and bed rails... they hump up in the middle so when you go to square things you are referencing from a bowed surface.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Okrafarmer

Hmm. My 1990 LT40 has the SS bed rails, but not SS backstops. So far I haven't had any real trouble with the bed rail covers bowing. They've behaved pretty well.

JustinW_NZ

The stainless covers wouldn't cost that much would they?
Mine are a bit worse for wear, and I wouldn't mind some on the backstops to square them up  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

customsawyer

When you run out of adjustment on your side supports the best way to fix them is with a big hammer. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on June 10, 2013, 07:15:32 PM
The stainless covers wouldn't cost that much would they?

Cheers
Justin

$57.00   :)  I put them on mine 2 months ago.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!