iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Apple Rust?

Started by alecs, May 12, 2013, 10:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Hello,
I have apples in close proximity to Eastern Red Cedar, and the cedars have this orange growth on the twigs. 

Is this Cedar Apple Rust?  Is it likely to kill the Cedar?  Treatment options?  This is the first I've noticed the orange stuff.  It doesn't look (yet?) like the images I found online for CAR, but the proximity (30 feet?) from the line of apple trees made me suspect that's what it might be.

Thanks!

mesquite buckeye

Usually the rust on cedars is on newer growth than that and not orange. The orange spores (in little round spots called aecia) show up on apple leaves.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

No idea.

But, I just noticed another white pine that I planted has rust on the stem. Another pine bites the dust. The woods is full of Ribies so no stopping it. If it ain't that it's the moose making a scratching post.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mrpink

It doesn't look like cedar apple rust to me. CAR in cedars appear as roundish balls that will be an orange color and jelly like for a few weeks during the spring rains then will turn to a dark brown ball. CAR has not killed any of my cedars.

greg

Thank You Sponsors!