iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarana 365 to a 372XP

Started by Mrwelder7018, May 11, 2013, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrwelder7018

Has anyone ever converted a 365 to a 372? This can be done by removing the diaphragm on the side of the cylinder, I guess it's an air restriction valve or de-tuner. I have done this to mine and seems to have much more power. Is this safe for my saw? I watched a you tube video on this and said hey why not.

bandmiller2

7018,I always thought they have a different bore size and the conversion requires a new jug and piston.I'am no authority but I cant see any problem with a little more power its lugging and overheating that kills a saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AdkStihl

Hey there MrWelder, I see your from the Tri-City area.....I live in Champlain.

Spike60 is the guy to ask that question.

I don't recall a diaphragm, but I think I remember something along the lines of a small restrictor plate inside the transfer port cover. Stumpy modified / ported one a while back.
Of course I could be mistaken for a completely different saw.
J.Miller Photography

mburrow

I found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7Vdn_VzDYTY

this applys to the newer x torq not the older xp's as they require a new jug and piston

joe_indi

You will need the cylinder and piston of a 372 to convert a 365 into a 372.
Though the Zama carb that comes on the 365 might suffice, it would be better to use the Walbro from the 372.
But if you have the patience and time and resources, convert an HD14 from a 046/MS460 by changing the external fittings on the throttle and choke shafts.
You will also need to use a slightly longer tube for the impulse line with the brass connector turned 45deg clockwise.
I have converted some 365s to 372s this way for customers.
But, I have never come across the diaphragm that you've mentioned.
Joe

Cut4fun

IF it is the older 365 65cc to 372xp 70.7cc before strato 365xt-372xt. P+C swap.

IF the new strato 365XT 70.7cc and 372xp XT 70.7cc all you have to do is pull up cyl on 365 remove transfer covers and grind  out the restriction on 365 transfer cover. Then you have a 372 on a budget.  Pics are posted in a thread on chainsaw repair with how to's.

AdkStihl

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 13, 2013, 01:27:26 PMIF the new strato 365XT 70.7cc and 372xp XT 70.7cc all you have to do is pull up cyl on 365 remove transfer covers and grind  out the restriction on 365 transfer cover. Then you have a 372 on a budget.  Pics are posted in a thread on chainsaw repair with how to's.

Exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification Kevin.
J.Miller Photography

rburg

I have a 365xt that has had the restrictors ground off. It also has a mm and the cylinder has been worked on. It is a very strong saw that will pull a 28" bar well.

Mrwelder7018

Thanks guys, yes the diaphragm I had mentioned is on the side of the cylinder. I guess it is also known as a restriction plate as well or de-tuner. I want to run a 28" bar on my 365xt. I will also need to change my sprocket from the stock 7 tooth to an 8.

celliott

Quote from: Mrwelder7018 on May 15, 2013, 10:55:47 PM
I want to run a 28" bar on my 365xt. I will also need to change my sprocket from the stock 7 tooth to an 8.

If you're going to run a long bar like that, definitely stick with the 7 tooth sprocket. 8 tooth will spin the chain faster, less torque. I don't think a stock 70cc saw, whether you convert it to a 372Xtorq or not, will pull a 28" well with an 8 tooth. 7, probably will be fine.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

AdkStihl

Anything of mine over 20" on a 70cc (unless ported of course) gets a 7pin.
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

-----I want to run a 28" bar on my 365xt. I will also need to change my sprocket from the stock 7 tooth to an 8.
Yes that is possible.
Use a 28"  solid nose bar, 8 teeth 0.325 sprocket and 0.325 chain.
Joe

NCFarmboy

Quote from: joe_indi on May 16, 2013, 11:33:07 AM
-----I want to run a 28" bar on my 365xt. I will also need to change my sprocket from the stock 7 tooth to an 8.
Yes that is possible.
Use a 28"  solid nose bar, 8 teeth 0.325 sprocket and 0.325 chain.
Joe

3/8 full chisel or square tooth on a 28" using a 7 t rim IMO will serve you the best but it does depend on what you are cutting.  I personally would not use .325 chain on a 70cc saw.  For dirty work use a solid nose bar for the rest use a roller tip bar IMO.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

AdkStihl

Quote from: NCFarmboy on May 16, 2013, 03:51:23 PMI personally would not use .325 chain on a 70cc saw.  For dirty work use a solid nose bar for the rest use a roller tip bar IMO.
Shep

x2......I agree
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 16, 2013, 04:36:30 PM
Quote from: NCFarmboy on May 16, 2013, 03:51:23 PMI personally would not use .325 chain on a 70cc saw.  For dirty work use a solid nose bar for the rest use a roller tip bar IMO.
Shep

x2......I agree
Well,the MS441, the 440, or even  MS460 or 461 that are 76.5cc saws have the 0.325 option . So, is there any serious issue running a 0.325 full chisel saw chain (Stihl 25RS or Carlton K2 or Oregon 21LG) on a 365 or a 372?

AdkStihl

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 17, 2013, 08:15:11 AM
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

But wouldnt that make so many threads here meaningless, including this current thread?
Personally, if I were to have followed that, I would still be working in some hotel kitchen.
Or a mediocre dealer who never thinks whether something could be done better or in a different way

1270d

If it makes you feel good, go ahead and run it.  More cutters to sharpen, seems like the only gain would be a narrower kerf.  Possibly a bit smoother.   I have a friend who runs 325 on a 395 milling saw.

jacob j.

Quote from: 1270d on May 18, 2013, 05:24:41 PM
If it makes you feel good, go ahead and run it.  More cutters to sharpen, seems like the only gain would be a narrower kerf.  Possibly a bit smoother.   I have a friend who runs 325 on a 395 milling saw.

There's professional timber fallers here running 23RS on 28" and 30" bars on MS-440's and MS-461s and they cut more timber in a day than most guys on this forum will in a lifetime. They're also modifying square grinding wheels to be able to square grind the .325 23RS chain. I personally know four guys that are running that set-up on straight falling jobs, launching 450-500 trees down the hill everyday.

joe_indi

Quote from: jacob j. on May 19, 2013, 12:57:42 AM
I personally know four guys that are running that set-up on straight falling jobs, launching 450-500 trees down the hill everyday.
Jacob.j,
That is a whole lot of trees, what kind  are they and whereabouts?
Joe

1270d

What do they say is the advantage?  Usually if someone is making their living with a product, and doing well they have good reasons.  I don't doubt them.

mad murdock

I can tell from first hand experience, the biggest advantage is cutting speed with the same size engine. Smaller kerf=less power loss in the cut=faster feed rate thru the cut. I run the smaller chain on my 372XP milling setup with a 32" bar and it does quite nicely! A very stark difference over the 3/8 chain I used on a 28" bar previously with the same powerhead.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jacob j.

Quote from: joe_indi on May 19, 2013, 07:28:37 AM
Jacob.j,
That is a whole lot of trees, what kind  are they and whereabouts?
Joe

Small diameter (14" to 30") Conifers and western hardwoods in the coastal hills of the U.S.- Washington, Oregon, and California.

It's a common way of logging here now since the timber is smaller- fall the trees straight down the hill with the butts pointing up, yard 'em tree length to the landing, and then chop 'em up with a processor. We used to burn the slash after it was piled by the machines but now they're baling and hauling the slash in for pulp and biofuel applications.

jacob j.

Quote from: 1270d on May 19, 2013, 09:25:13 AM
What do they say is the advantage?  Usually if someone is making their living with a product, and doing well they have good reasons.  I don't doubt them.

Like Mad Murdock posted- chain speed, less wear and year on the clutch-clutch drum-crank, and a smoother cut in the wood. Two guys are running 461s with the 23RS on 9-tooth sprockets and they love it. They get less life out of the chain though but a loop of chain is a lot cheaper than a clutch.

There's also an old-time thinning contractor here that runs modded 361s with 30" bars and 23RS. He's hunting and pecking though for trees so it's less of a production game with him.

1270d

Huh.  Thanks for the replies.  I make a living with a chainsaw too, mine is just at the end of the processor crane.

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on May 19, 2013, 05:31:14 PM
Huh.  Thanks for the replies.  I make a living with a chainsaw too, mine is just at the end of the processor crane.
Which runs .404 instead of 3/4 pitch ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!