iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up Frick 01 Sawmill

Started by Buddyw, May 11, 2013, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

Well its been a while since I last posted anything . I just been reading, looking and recovering from shoulder surgery ,having heart stents installed and having a pacemaker installed.  Now all that stuff is done , it is now time to set up the mill I bought last fall .  I cleaned and leveled the location spot last week and moved one of my cranes into place to assist with lifting . This morning my son came by to help , we managed to get the main frame of the mill set and leveled. here are some pictures.  

bandmiller2

Nice to have the heavy lift capability.Buddy what are you planning to use for foundation.Frick is a good mill  and worth a good setup. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Buddyw

bandmiller2 , the mill is sitting on new cross ties. I put a cement footer 8 foot x 12"x6" under each tie as it was set into place. I am marking and placing footers as I go , instead of tying to measure all and pour all at one time. I get this thing set up like I want , thin I will turn my sites on putting a building over it.

hardtailjohn

Nice! Now, let's not forget to include the cranes in those pictures!  Got my eye on a 22B here local, in preparation for building our barndominium.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Buddyw

hardtailjohn , you have a good eye ! That is a 1956 , 22B in the picture . I collect and restore old antique construction equipment as a hobby. I mainly collect Northwest cranes , Murphy Diesels , and Caterpillar equipment , but , when this nice 22B found me I could not pass it up ;D. I bought it from the original owner 10 years ago.  Now that the sawmill bug has bit , who knows what is next !

bandmiller2

Buddy,you realize you must put a Murphy diesel on the mill you could find nothing better.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

alecs

What is the vehicle that is just revealing its front left tire in one of the pics?  Looks like a hot rod of some sort.

Buddyw

bandmiller2 , you are exactly right ! I already have 2 Murphy Diesel engines to chose from. one is a MP-11 and the other is a MP-12. Both are 4 cylinder engines ether would do the job with no problem. I will look around to see if I have and pictures of them to share. I will most likely start out with the Detroit 471 that came with the mill , mainly because it is already set up with the correct size pulleys . I will be going to the Murphy later.
alecs , That is the left front tire of my golf cart . The mill is being set up about 600ft from the house.  I am just tooo lazy to walk.  :laugh:

Buddyw

I got a little more done on the mill today. I got one section of the track and rollers on . After that I was shot !   This dog gone pacemaker and I ,  are having a hard time working together. I run out of gas and wind. Anybody else on here have a pacemaker ?????  Do any of you get winded when you try to work ??  >:(

alecs

steamsawyer

Hey Buddyw,

Sorry to hear about your health issues, I know I've had my share in the last year or so. Sounds like you are getting better though.

I looks like you have all the necessary equipment for the job. That 22B was big brother to the 15B my dad had, I think his was a 1954 model, it had a 2-71 engine.

Keep the pictures and comentary coming... I think the resurection of old circular mill is exciting.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

yellowrosefarm

Great to see another Virginia circular saw coming together.  I'm guessing maybe in the Northern Neck by the lay of the land. I'm over near Charlottesville.

Buddyw

Thanks alecs, I had the little cart lifted and those wheels happen to be in stock.
steamsawyer,  Thanks , I am slowly getting better.I been told that I have been pushing myself too much. Oh well !!
yellowrosefarm, You are correct ! I am near Tappahannock .

thecfarm

That is quite the project. Good luck with your health. And good luck with the set up of the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: Buddyw on May 16, 2013, 06:28:18 AM
Thanks alecs, I had the little cart lifted and those wheels happen to be in stock.
steamsawyer,  Thanks , I am slowly getting better.I been told that I have been pushing myself too much. Oh well !!
yellowrosefarm, You are correct ! I am near Tappahannock .

Is Lowrey's still in Tappahannock? Before my wife got sick, we used to make a pilgrimage there every couple of years. They hold the #1 restaraunt spot for me since, not only was their seafood top notch, but their side dishes were equally as good.

Buddyw

Yellowrosefarm , Yes !  Lowrey's is still their , we go their every now and thin.  What kind of mill do you have ?

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: Buddyw on May 16, 2013, 07:50:18 PM
Yellowrosefarm , Yes !  Lowrey's is still their , we go their every now and thin.  What kind of mill do you have ?

I have a woodmizer LT40, a Frick 00 that I would like to put together someday, and 2 parts mills, A J A Vance and an American. I used to have a Frick 0 on all steel with hyd turner, power receder and power out feed but sold it when I got the band mill. I had just moved it all out here and was in the process of setting it up when the Woodmizer came up at an auction. I went more out of curiosity than anything since they usually sell so high, but ended up coming home with it. I love the old circular mills but a band mill is truly a one man operation. And, out here, that's usually all the help there is :D

Buddyw

Yea , that word HELP !   I know where your coming from. I am hoping that my son will continue his interest in this milling hobby. After all , I am doing all this for him any way , and to have something to share time with together. My son said he will be here Saturday morning to help me finish setting the track frame for the mill. I surly hope so , I set the fist piece in place last Tuesday by myself , and that was a job .  I will post some progress pictures tomorrow evening if he shows to help. LOL !!!!!

Buddyw

Hello all  !  This passed week end was a wash out , rain Saturday all day :-X and Sunday, just the first half but , Sunday ain't my favorite day to try to work anyway :laugh: .  I set out this morning again by myself working on the mill. Oh well , least it was cloudy and a breeze was blowing. I managed to get the last two piers down and the last piece of track frame bolted on leveled and squared. I also got the support rail for the dust chain bridge mounted toooo !     Here are some pictures of todays progress. I am pooped !

ddcuning

Looking good! Was a wash out here in NC also. I wanted to sand blast and paint early this week but not got to it due to the rain. A neighbors peacock roosted up on top of the boom on my forklift under the sawmill sheed to make sure he didn't get wet. Keep the pictures coming, love to see the set up of an old circle mill.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Thank You Sponsors!