iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tomatoes

Started by Magicman, May 11, 2013, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

There is nothing that equals fresh home grown and vine ripened tomatoes. 

It only takes one slice to make a sammich.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That is a sad sight. I'm just about to put my plants into the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

I would agree, but come on now...those were yesteryears were they not?  Or do you have a green house too?  I planted brandy wine this year and do have squash and zucannie blooming...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

:D  Not yesteryear's and no green house.  I took that picture this morning.  It is good to have a friend/neighbor that does not have a sawmill.....only a garden.   ;D

My tomato plants are only about 3' tall with marble size fruit. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bedway

Stopped at a small Italian restaurant yesterday for lunch, in Oil City PA. Ordered a club sammi and had a real tomato on it. I couldnt believe how fresh and tasty it was. I swore it was like one you would pick off the vine in August and bite into. Tried to get the waitress to tell me where they were getting there tomatoes. She said if she told me the boss would fire her. I tried to bribe her, she just smiled. All she would say was since they had got this shipment of tomatoes in their business has tripled. 

sawguy21

DanG, that's not fair!!! We won't see fresh ones until July, a lot of people are just now putting their plants out after a long winter.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

We have snow predicted for tonight. :(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

Don't feel too bad Jeff I've had my whole garden growing in my basement for over a month now, it should've been transplanted 2 weeks ago, it's starting to die off  :-\.  Maybe this weekend, doesn't sound like anymore freezing.

Magicman

Ouch, and we have been continually pounded with rain.  My pond had not been within two feet of spillway runout for four years, and this year it has been running out since January.  LOOP

scgargoyle

Last year, my garden didn't cost me a dime, and tomatoes were about $20 a pound! They did very poorly- 6 tomatoes total from two plants. I worked the soil during the off-season, so we'll see what happens this year.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Al_Smith

We won't even have them in the ground until the last of May and not real good tomatoes until August .The early  ones ,46-50 day type are not as good as the longer growth type like big boy and beef steak .

Mine are in the window sill about 3 inchs high .

gspren

Magic if I show that picture to Kay she will want to point the camper to your house, its already in the GPS. We wont have fresh Tomatoes for at least another month.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Well Gary, you know the way without the GPS.  That plus the crawfish are in.   food6

SLawyer Dave

I got tomatoes and peppers growing on the plants, but it will be at least a month for them to ripen.  Picked my first green beans the other day.  I had bumper crops last year, but with moving, I am just starting to work soil that hasn't been planted in years.  I got a couple of yards of composted horse manure worked in, but the soil has a lot of clay, and virtually no other organic material.  So we will see how productive it will be.  The good news is that the new garden area is probably three times the size of my old one, so I put in a lot more numbers and variety.  I am hoping to be a canning, freezing, and preserving fool this summer.   :)

two tired

crawfish, did someone say crawfish?
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

SwampDonkey

I won't be putting in maters for a month. Those do look nice and sweet. I'll have to settle for fiddleheads today with my potato scallop. ;D

It's rather cool today, about 58. Good day to hibernate under some wool blankets. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sonofman

Grits, did someone say Grits?  smiley_big_grin3
Located due west of Due West.

Peter Drouin

Ours are up, all the plants are up, the strawberrys will be red in 2 weeks

soon it will look like this  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 12, 2013, 11:05:13 AMI'll have to settle for fiddleheads

Fiddleheads.....did someone mention fiddleheads  ??? ???

SwampDonkey

Yup, I'll see yours and raise ya a bowl full. :D

They are selling for $5/lb locally in stores. I pick mine off my own ground. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Never had those. Are they like green grits?

thecfarm

I never had fiddle heads,but I went on the wild side when I was younger and tried some grits.  :o  I MIGHT try fiddle heads,but no way would I touch them things cooked. I wont even eat oinons and peppers that are cooked. They have a little too much green for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Pardon my ignorance, but what it tarnation is a fiddle head...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

GATreeGrower

Magicman I am envious we dont have a single ripe tomato yet and almost 50 plants

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 12, 2013, 08:54:10 PM
Never had those. Are they like green grits?

I've picked them in Northern BC along the Skeena river. My book 'Plants of Northern BC' mentions them as being on the Skeena river as well. I noticed the natives was picking them to. I tried to get them westerners to try them, but they wouldn't touch'm. :D :D So, I guess it's green grits. :D :D

Cfarm must be from downeast Maine, the northern crowd from Aroostook Co eats them like an ordinary Maritimer.  :D It's actually now labeled a 'super food', which us Maritimers knew anyway without being told. :D

CBC's 'Morningside' back in the late 80's had a comical segment on fiddleheads. They were talking with someone from the state of Vermont about them. I can't describe the segment very well, but in the end they came to the conclusion they were talking about two different ferns and that the Ostrich fern was the only official fiddlehead. Anyway unless you could here the sound bytes, it's not going to be funny. :D

thecfarm

cfarm does not like a alot of stuff. If it grows from the ground,it's way down on my list of things I eat.My diet consists of bread,cheese and meat. Very few veggies for me. And I mean VERY FEW.
I have only seen one person selling fiddleheads beside the road.Drove by one wet hole and someone put a sign up"No Fiddleheading"

SwampDonkey

If they hadn't signed that spot they woulda left them alone. :D

Banjo picker

thank you beenthere...I didn't know you could eat ferns...

Magicman

There's nothing like a mater sammich.     food6

Banjo picker

My maters are blooming...the squash has little bitty ones on ...and okra farmer's pride of davids seeds are a soakin on the mantle to be planted tomorrow....I got a few snow peas ready to eat in the next stir fry and plenty of onions to go with it all....and did I mention garlick....I like garlick ...how ever you spell it.....Banjo

thecfarm

I saw a truck in town,fiddleheads,$2.50 a pound. Drove by a large turnoff  a few towns away,there was 3 cars,all had fiddleheads for sale. Too green for me.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2013, 05:49:13 PM
There's nothing like a mater sammich.     food6
Well a 'mater is part of the sandwich just like salad is part of a meal .Ya gotsta have meat on a samich. ;D

SwampDonkey

I got one more pot of fiddleheads left. The ferns are beyond picking around here now. But up on the Tobique they will be available into June. ;D I like red pepper Alfredo sauce on mine it seems. :)

SwampDonkey

I've never tried it, because it's like fire they say, but jack-in-the-pulpit root is suppose to be like hot peppers. I mean very hot ones. ;)

Magicman

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 21, 2013, 03:56:53 AMYa gotsta have meat on a samich. ;D 
Yup, a mater sammich needs bacon.   smiley_thumbsup

Raider Bill

Any Idea what caused this? 

Watered 4 times a week automatically, Fish emulsion weekly, no sign of bugs. Starts at the bottom, turn leaves gray. All that died had a good root system.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

limbrat

If you have had tomatoes there for 2yrs. or more it could be nemotodes(how ever its spelt) a microscopic worm. You wont save those but its early enough to start a new bed of creoles or some other hot weather tomatoe.
ben

petefrom bearswamp

We had a killing frost a week ago so I Just bought my plants today.
My garden consists of 4- 5 gal buckets with a couple of varieties and an upside down planter with either cherry or grape tomatoes in it.
Lynn is that homemade bread in that sammich?
Swamp, Jack in the pulpit root is almost toxic when raw but can be eaten when cooked as this breaks the dagger like fibers down.
When I was at Ranger School at Wanakena in 1958 we coaxed a classmate to try the raw root.
he was in the most agony i ever saw.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Pete I was joking, but found it kind of interesting whenever I think of hot peppers. :D

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 21, 2013, 05:09:22 PMLynn is that homemade bread in that sammich?  Pete 
No, that was store bought honey wheat.  Looking back, I did notice that I had a couple of slices of ham beneath that tomato slice.  Al can be happy that I had a real sammich after all.  (but bacon woulda been better)  :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 21, 2013, 05:09:22 PM
Swamp, Jack in the pulpit root is almost toxic when raw but can be eaten when cooked as this breaks the dagger like fibers down.
When I was at Ranger School at Wanakena in 1958 we coaxed a classmate to try the raw root.
he was in the most agony i ever saw.
Pete

My dad was from W Virginia and told us about Jack. When we moved to N. Y. when I was 11, we convinced a kid to try it. PAIN - we would have felt bad if we could have stopped laughing...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

:D A great big slice of mater like that could even be hiding a slice of grouse breast to, plus the bacon in there to. ;D

TimRB

petefrom bearswamp

Ham hiding under tomato, it doesn't get any better than that (except perhaps bacon)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

I'll have to admit bacon makes a great sandwich .Fact every day at work I get a bacon and egg bagal .

I got the tomato plants in the ground finally .18 I grew from seed plus 6 beefsteak I bought . If they do good it's not unusual to get a half bushel at a time come about late August .

Now a nice vine ripened tomato is great but just as great are green fried .Some people think it tastes like egg plant but I say it tastes like a green fried tomato .Yum green tomatos and bull frog . ;D

SwampDonkey

A use for green tomatoes is in what we call chow chow. Kind of a pickle. ;D

Al_Smith

There are a lort of things they do with green tomatoes .I've seen them pickled .Green tomatoe chuntny whatever ever that is ,Cajun thing I think .

ancjr

Fried green tomatoes are one of the specialties of the diner in town. Delicious!   food1

As for the red ones, I like to pluck them off the vine and bite right into them like an apple.  Better than Gatorade when you're thirsty!

coxy

salt lots and lots of salt ;D ;D

Chris Burchfield

I was jealous when MM started this thread.  Dad use to try having his garden in on Good Friday.  This April was still very cool and wet, with the wet carrying on up into May.  Mid May, I finally got my garden in.  Beef Steak tomatoes, jalapeno, bell, yellow squash, egg plant and cucumber.  I saw one bell pepper the size of a golf ball yesterday.  I also saw a couple of blossoms on the maters and squash.  Dad almost always had tomatoes for the plate by July 4th.  I don't think mine will be ready.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

thecfarm

Can't control the weather Chris. Last year we had our garden in real early. Temps in the 70's in March,which is unheard of,helped out alot. This year back to a normal Maine spring. Which is kinda mid May. Can push it some,but you better watch the weather and cover up the plants at night,even in the end of May.

SwampDonkey

I've got everything in pretty much, except the beans. I have little maters coming on my 'big beef' and some volunteer Tiny Tim's coming up like weeds. I'll put the beans in next week. Cold rain here today, have had about an inch since midnight. A cold rain and cool weather will cause germination problems with beans. I also have Scotian maters, which have some growing to do yet, probably a late August mater.

Magicman

I have the healthiest vines that I have seen in several years.  The fruit is only about 2" and no pinks yet.

sawguy21

My uncle loved fried green tomatoes but they never excited me. Al, that green tomato chutney is very tasty.

Thank You Sponsors!