iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log rules

Started by Lnewman, May 10, 2013, 06:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

I have some White Pine to sell --about 10 logs.  In estimating the board feet what log rule should I use?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

Ron Wenrich

Depends on who you send it to.  Most guys in my area of PA use the Doyle rule.  I do know of a few that use the Scribner rule, and they tend to be in areas with logs that are smaller than what we generally cut. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

Sell on Scribner.  Buy on Doyle.  That's the old saying around here anyway.  Most feel International is the fairest but it is seldom used in transactions except for State timber sales.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

International was used when I sold logs about 15 years ago here in Maine. I see things are differant in other states.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

As Ron said, around here just about everyone uses Doyle, even the U.S.F.S.

thenorthman

Call the mill, ask what they are using, there the ones buying it
well that didn't work

LeakyBoot

I always bought on International.  I just didn't feel right cheating a guy on small logs on Doyle.    I knew what they would saw and it was closer to International even if you hit a bad one now and then.  LB

MEloggah

its ben international here my whole life.

GAB

In Vermont, I was told that it is recommended that all transactions be done using either the Vermont log rule or the International 1/4" rule, and that the Doyle scale is frowned upon in all the New England states.
The statement that I heard was "Buy on Doyle and sell on boardfootage".
I sawed a stack of logs for a fellow and measured all the logs as they were loaded on the mill.  No allowances were made for sweep or other defects.  I'm going from memory but if I remember correctly using the Doyle scale there was like 5200 board feet of lumber.  Using the Int 1/4 scale there were like 7800 board feet, and I sawed 9200+ boardfeet of lumber.  Note there were quite a few small logs. 
Hope this helps.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!