iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not wanting to saw an Urban log

Started by Tom, April 22, 2004, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I hate to not saw a log.  I always feel that there is something good in everything, but today I just couldn't do it.  When I was told the size,  I took the pick-up to look at it before I took the mill.  It's a good thing too because here is what went through my mind.

This Water Oak log was 12' long and almost 50" in diameter in places.

It had a Heart check (pith) that  turned about 45 degrees from end to end.

It's furrows were separated from one another and bark was growing 2/3rds the radius.

It had been painted but was still end checking pretty bad.  This wasn't keeping me from sawing it though.

The driveway was narrow and difficult to get the mill into.

If I pulled in forward all the way to the garage, the log would have to be pulled straight ahead toward the street about 40 feet to  the mills loader.

If I rolled the log to the other side of the driveway, I could back the mill in where the log is now and only have to pull the log about 20 feet to the loader.

I estimated the weight of the log at close to 3 tons.  The second scenario would allow me to use my big truck to pull the log if it would.  I couldn't vouch for the condition of the driveway when we finished.

The metal detector found no metal for the depth that it could reach.

The Log would gross about $150 in sawing fees and I would have to take the mill about 30 miles one way.

My recommendation was to use it for fire wood and cook a lot of steaks.

These are previous customers and I know he was excited about the log.  If he is still determined after his wife explains the situation, I'll try to saw it for him.  I'll bend over backward for an old customer, but I fear that we are talking danger beyond the worth of the log here.  It will have to be split, or at least trimmed with a chainsaw, just to get it on the mill. It will have to be man-handled by two older fellows who have no business pulling that hard on a cant hook.  It will have to be pulled by a truck that might not be able to handle the weight.

I feel that my rigging skills are good enough to make it happen but not in one afternoon

I really don't want to do it, I hope they see it my way. :D

Jeff

Couldnt you back one end of the mill right into the garage to get close enough?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The lady says the garage is full. :-/

The mill is taller than the door. :'(

Ianab

That log/location has got "Swingblade" written all over it :D :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ARKANSAWYER

Tom I hate to say it but you need a swinger.  This would be a great excuse to buy one and a prime log to test it on.  Maybe you just need to call for backup and let them boys who do well on the fat ones have at it.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

oldsaw

A couple of slices will tell you if it is worth more than firewood, and by the time you shave a bit off the top and maybe a side or two, figuring it IS worth it, then roll the mill back in.  Figure you have to lop about a foot off of each end since that checking looks pretty deep, giving you a 10' log with about 25% or so of the weight shaved off the top.  It would be getting pretty close to handling weight.  If not, roll it over onto some blocks and go after another side.

I'm one of the new kids to all this lumber making stuff, but getting too involved with this log could lead to a bunch o' heartache.  She just may be a firewood candidate.

A crew dropped a big'un just like that but about 4 times longer on the south side of KC.  I wanted to track down the owner until I saw black voids visible from the highway.  It was a nice thought for a few moments.  Firewood that will probably end up in the landfill.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

iain

thats the the kind of log that i got the twin head chain saw mill for, ladder on top sort out your starting angle and go 9/4 slabs, trim the splits paint the ends and an inch or two up the slab from each end sticker and a roof  and BINGO
these things i cut for grain only not for timber volume but visual impact ;)

DanG

Harold and Ed could probably handle it with that big trailer, then haul it to Palatka to saw it. It would probably take more than $150, though. ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kedwards

Definately need a swinger for that log. i find that logs between 30-45" are my favorite to cut on my Lucas mill.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Furby

Ok, stupid ? I know........But how did they get it up on those blocks and so close to the garage to begin with ??? ??? ???

Tom

The tree surgeon had a big truck with a big loader on it.  The lady said that the tracks in the driveway were really deep. :D

KILROY

Tom

What were their intentions for the wood?

If they did not need long pieces, cut it in half and quarter it.

You might be able to move the log with rollers under it.
   Bring several short round pieces of pine. Put them under
   the log in place of the blocks. A high lift jack should pick it  
   up. Your truck or winch should be able to reposition the log.

Or go buy a swinger.  You can always use another saw!  ;D

oakiemac

Tom, those monster logs can  be a real pain. I agree with you on the firewood assesment. That checking probably goes all the way through.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Tom

Kilroy,
The log owner is a fledgling wood worker and has used trees off of his own lot ot refurbish his kitchen.  I'm real proud of his effort.  

He saw this log down the street being removed from another's property and saw a garage full of lumber.   As is the case a lot of times, the decision was made on quantity rather than quality.  I was asked to make the judgement about the feasibilty of sawing good lumber out of the tree and observed some of the same things Okiemac brought up.

As I said, $150 gross on Board foot charges is too little money for too much work for such questionable quality.  Hourly charges for log preparation and handling, not to mention the difficulty in setting up the mill in these tight quarters would have made the cost too great for his recovery.

I feel certain my rigging skills would allow the movement and preparation of the log, but you reach a point-of-diminishing-returns in all jobs.

I do have a guilty conscience when I turn down a job like this and may end up back over there even if it costs me money to cut it.  We'll see. :D

I'd like to have a swing blade too.  I keep running into that point-of-diminishing-return argument again though.  I'm in my 62nd year and it's beoming more and more difficult for me to be productive with any tool ;D :D :D

KILROY

Tom,

Maybe this customer will take your recommendation and
   invite you over for some barbecue.   ;D

Tom

KILROY

Tom,

On that diminishing-return-arguement, you are after quality not quantity.

I think you are sharp enough to keep all of you tools busy and productive. ::) ;D ;D

D._Frederick

Tom,

Them swing mill need young legs. About all anybody are age can do is stand and watch.

Jeff

To change the subject just a little for a moment, All the checks in the end of that log remind me of the Rorschach Inkblot Test.  Here is a short good one.

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabotage/inkblot_sabotage.asp

Tom

I guess I must be deranged.  I didn't see anytning in any of them.   ;D

KILROY

My evaluation said I was sensitive. I don't know how it arrived at that?

Maybe I had better take it again.  ;D ;D :D :D

Shamus

Dagnab it Jeff! My wife had the speakers turned waaaay up on the computer, and I nearly lost my cat out the window, 3rd floor! That last image is terribly disturbing, scarred for life I am.
 :o :o :o :o >:( :-/ :-* ;D
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Jeff

KILROY

Now I understand that picture a little better. ;)

Didn't you used to be on the Little Rascals??  ;D

Wes

Thank You Sponsors!