iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little lombard maintenance

Started by loggah, May 09, 2013, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

The other day i  got the lombard out of the shed, and greased her up ,freed up a few stuck clutch plates, and fired up the engine. This was the first time in 2 years since my younger brother and i built a new cab. The original cab from 1925 was crumbling and we had to use it for a pattern. Heres a picture with the new cab.I also made some new skis for the steering sled. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ken

I love the pictures of your old iron.  Keep up the great work and continue to share stories of your machines and experiences.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

That looks good. What did you use for wood?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodandtractors

It looks a lot more impressive outdoors than it did sitting in the shed!
Nice job.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

loggah

I used red oak for the skis and cab frame, with  western fir wainscoating in the cab sides, the frame is mortised and tenoned together,with the wainscoating inset in the frame. we put two coats of linseed oil on it. The cab was originally painted green like the rest of the machine, i just cant make up my mind to do it. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Whoa, that is a hunk of iron for sure.  For the benefit of those of us that may not know, how about sharing some statistics about the engine?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I love old iron. That is great, I would enjoy hearing it run.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hardtailjohn

Even though that cab was originally painted... I'd have a tough time covering it with anything but the oil! That's a great treasure there!!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Jeff

We'd love to see (hear) a video of her running!  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loggah

Jeff,We dont have any decent video and sound equipment!! >:( >:(  Cheryl will try it with her camera, ;D The Engine is  Wisconsin watercooled "T"head engine made in 1925,5 3/4" bore 7" stroke 6 cylinder , its 1090 cubic inch.The cylinders are cast i pairs, which makes it look a 3 cylinder. rated 100 horsepower at 1000 R.P.M. rated a around 550 ft. lbs. of torque at 650 R.P.M.. The crankcase is cast from bronze and weighs around 800 lbs. the complete engine weighs a bit over 3/4 of a ton,extremely rare engine. Don ;D

petefrom bearswamp

Nice job!
boy those old high displacement low rpm engines had wads of torque.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Don, I'd say 99% of the videos you see on the forum are done with just a simple digital camera, or even a phone. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loggah

We will get it done somehow!!! I mean Cheryl will!!! ;D Our cell phones dont work here at home "GRRRRR"!!!!!

sawguy21

Wow!!!! With those numbers that thing could skid a box car up a tree if the bark would stay on. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stamper

nice looking truck. Do you get it out to shows?
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

Magicman

Wow, that is some serious torque.   :o 

I too would love to hear it running.  I am thinking that it will sound similar to my old 6 cylinder 78 hp Waukesha in my Oliver.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

That Lombard rig is beautiful and well kept, I look forward to the video. The boom in the background resembles that of an early Erie B dragline rig.
roll with it

loggah

Its a 60' boom on a 1960 12-20 Unit crane. The Lombard sounds a bit different with three exhaust pipes, one for each set of cylinders.Don

giant splinter

You have an incredible collection of early logging stuff, some of it is extremely rare and in great shape ...... keep up the great work as I am sure you have many who appreciate all you efforts and photos.
roll with it

loggah

Heres a short video a buddy of mine took a couple years ago before i rebuilt the cab. I will still try and get a new one done in the near future. Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEcNpp7mj6U

Magicman

:o  You were correct about the engine sound.  That is in a world of it's own.   smiley_thumbsup

loggah

Those engines were real happy drinking 8 gallons of gas per hour !!!!! ;D ;D that was a cellphone video,i moved it back and forth in low gear so he could get pictures of how the tracks and roller chain functioned. we will try and get a better one.

shinnlinger

Don,

I'm still hoping for a "pig roast east" style event at your place some weekend.  I could bring gas and chicken!!!!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JSNH

Pot luck cook out / meet some members / see some old iron. Count me In.
JSNH

Deering, NH
I don't know how this took two pages to develop to a food thread. It should have been sooner.

Thank You Sponsors!