iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When I saw this I thought about Danny (WDH)

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 08, 2013, 09:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I almost pulled the trigger and bought this Washburn. I mean my mouth was watering.  food6 food6 food6

Spalted Maple.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It is curly, too!

Now that is the very first time that I have seen spalted wood used for a guitar top.  Hmmmmmmmmmm....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Do I dare ask how much?  :o  There is a guy I know that makes banjos and I think guitars too.  Don't ask the price. He's been doing it for years and they sound gooooood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on May 08, 2013, 09:37:34 PM
Do I dare ask how much?  :o  There is a guy I know that makes banjos and I think guitars too.  Don't ask the price. He's been doing it for years and they sound gooooood.

I did not ask.....well I did but the owner was gone from the shop. I would have to talk to him. It was the only guitar like this he had.

grweldon

Gorgeous guitar!  When I buy a guitar these days, I go for looks and that one certainly isn't lacking in that department!  I have a quilted ash Ibanez that is very pretty!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Raider Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 08, 2013, 09:00:13 PM
I almost pulled the trigger and bought this Washburn. I mean my mouth was watering.  food6 food6 food6

Spalted Maple.

Can you play one?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

grweldon

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 09, 2013, 08:53:12 AM
Can you play one?

I'm not sure if you are asking me... but yes, I can play.  I'm no virtuoso but I'm not too shabby either.  Used to play what they called "heavy metal".  Now they called it "classic rock".  I'm not quite sure what changed!  For about the past 10 years I've been playing all sorts of Christian music, from Contemporary Christian to Southern Gospel and anything in between...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Raider Bill

Actually I was wondering if Poston could play.

Me, I have absolutely no musical ability whatsoever, none.....NONE

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 09, 2013, 02:03:26 PM

Yes, I can play. Actually I studied piano for 8 years. I play piano a good bit. I played in our church for years. Funerals, weddings, Christmas Services.  I taught myself guitar chords and can play rhythm with a band. But when it comes to picking......I stick to my nose.  :D :D :D

WDH

Go buy that guitar.  Now.  JUST DO IT!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 09, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
Go buy that guitar.  Now.  JUST DO IT!

For some reason, every board that came off the mill today was spalted.  :D
Can't get it outta my mind.  ;D

Broke a blade today and it sounded like the G string. Geeeeeeeee!!!!!!

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 09, 2013, 08:50:53 PM
Haw!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D  OOOOOOH........It took me about 3 seconds.....then it hit me. Ya Mule!  :D

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Every word of that song is true. But if ya miss baling hay....getting ready too. smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

barbender

How did that guitar sound, Poston? I'd suspect it's a plywood top, I don't think you could make a solid top with spalted wood. I have been wrong before, though ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Warbird

Texas Ranger

We still got some Georgia boys, Missouri boys, Mississippi boys, oh yeah, we still got southern boys and girls.  God bless G.R.I.T.S.

now about mules, my family raised them for better part of a century, grew up around them, don't miss them a bit.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

Playing the radio counts for something  ;D 8)  That's what I can play  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Quote from: Corley5 on May 10, 2013, 11:49:02 AM

Playing the radio counts for something  ;D 8)  That's what I can play  ;) :)

I rarely even listen to that anymore. Same crap day after day after day..... Been listening to "classic rock" for 50 years. At home if I want some sound I'll listen to Jazz a little.

grweldon

Quote from: barbender on May 10, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
How did that guitar sound, Poston? I'd suspect it's a plywood top, I don't think you could make a solid top with spalted wood. I have been wrong before, though ::)

I've been known to make a few guitars.  The top of an acoustic is braced quite adequately fully supporting it's surface with hardwood braces across the width, around the soundhole and near the tailpiece, not to mention a continuous kerfed piece all around the periphery of the body.  I don't think there would be any problem at all making a top from spalted wood.  That being said, it's quite possible that it is veneer.  I very much doubt that it is plywood, but as you have said, I have been wrong before... ::)

beenthere

I gathered that barbender meant veneer layers (which is plywood ;) ). 

Spalted wood with a low E can't have much resonance, so something with stiffness would have to be on the back of it (I'd think).

But maybe looks is more important than good sound. Hopefully it has both.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Guitar had very good sound....IMO.

I played "MY DOG HAS FLEAS" on it. It sounded great.

petefrom bearswamp

I am proud Yankee, but inmo you cant listen to that good string music and feel sad!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 10, 2013, 08:14:46 PM
David,

They make powder for that.

All I have is 7-dust for my  materhead's and a little talcum powder in the bathroom.  :D

Hilltop366

I wouldn't have thought that spalted maple would make good tone would, but I can't hear it from here so what do I know, It sure is pretty.

I have a Washburn that I bought over 20 years ago at Crazy Eds music store in Portland Maine, it was only $200.00 , I tried to get Ed to throw in a tuner with it, Ed puts his hand on my shoulder looks me square in the eyes and says " The sign out side says Crazy Ed.... not Stupid Ed.

David you seem to have more persional restraint at music stores than I do, I went in a store a month ago to look at electric guitar amps and came out with a fret-less bass ukulele!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

At least Crazy Ed didn't put both hands on your shoulders. :D

Are you pretty good playing a You-Ca-Lay-Lee. ?

Hilltop366

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 11, 2013, 07:58:12 AM
At least Crazy Ed didn't put both hands on your shoulders. :D

Are you pretty good playing a You-Ca-Lay-Lee. ?

I'm not really sure what " put both hands on your shoulders" means but I'm pretty sure I won't like it.

I can strum a few chords on a uke, the bass uke is played and tuned like a regular bass and (in my
opinion) sounds better. It has fat poly strings that if not over played have a nice smooth sound, and the extra short scale suits my short fingers well.

The bass is a Kala Ubass.

Thank You Sponsors!