iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

215 MPH wind...at your service

Started by GDinMaine, May 08, 2013, 06:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

Most of the time I can only run the mill for about 3-4 hours before I have to go to work.  Getting the mill ready only takes 10-15 minutes, but when I'm done I like to clean it properly.  It has been a bit of a chore to go around with a brush and get the sawdust cleaned off.  It takes about 30 minutes to clean, pack up and cover the mill. 

I had this bright idea that I could do the longest chore far faster if I used a leaf blower to clean the sawdust from the mill.  It works fast and does a far better job then a brush.  I can even blow out the radiator, although a compressor does a better job at that. Anyone else does this or can you think of any harmful effect?  The only drawback is the noise of the leaf blower interrupting the silence I created by shutting the mill off.   
Ohhh... that last thought is a bit on the philosophical side, but true.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Jeff

That's how I clean mine off.  It will also move the sawdust from your walking path.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

A member uses one to help burn a brush pile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

alecs

When I used to work in machine shops, it was always frowned upon to use compressed air or a brush that had been in contact with the shop floor to clean up the mill or lathe after work.  The idea was not to force dust, dirt, and chips into places where it would later cause a problem, like the machine ways, lead screws, etc.  So to the extent you might be unknowingly blowing sand or dirt into places where there are bearings, tracks, hydraulic cylinders, electronics, or other susceptible parts, this might cause a problem.  On the other hand, I'm sure your sawmill is designed for more punishment than a Bridgeport mill in that regard.

danreed76

Quote from: GDinMaine on May 08, 2013, 06:12:42 AM
I used a leaf blower to clean the sawdust from the mill.

Interesting concept developinging here... using my sawdust blower to move leaves...
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Nomad

A leaf blower is a staple on my truck, just like peaveys and a chain saw.  I used to just do the 60 MPH cleaning, until a nice young lady from the DOT stopped me and said if she caught me going down the road like that again...  dadgum you, Charlie!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

I use my leaf blower (Stihl) every time I get done sawing, and sometimes just a quick blow-over at various times through the day.

Besides the fact that the blower is faster than a brush, it can remove sawdust and debris from areas a brush can't get to.

I like to blow through the alternator once in a while, as well as the main air intake for the engine!

Also good assurance that you don't have sawdust build-up that could later cause a fire or interfere with the operation of the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Been using this method since 2000, works good.
My mill is stationary and it is cleaned every day
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JohnM

Gabor, I saw this title and thought it was going to be about your trip to Mt. Washington this winter. ;D  And I do believe Ray just helped us with next years Winter Solstice bonfire!
Quote from: thecfarm on May 08, 2013, 07:08:15 AM
A member uses one to help burn a brush pile.
8)

Every year my wife and I have friends over for a Solstice gathering (read: a reason for a potluck and a big fire) and every year it's a struggle to get the fire going.  Three days of rain before this past one equaled 2 gal of old motor oil to get it going.  So bring the blower next year, GD!  (actually I seem to recall you mentioning it that night...?)

[thread highjack completed]

I'm curious about possible damage as well?  ie putting dust where it doesn't belong

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

dboyt

Every mill I've ever worked around is designed for a dusty environment.  The only problems I can imagine are around any electronics, if the fuel cap is loose (or off), or if the engine's air filter isn't properly installed.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

mesquite buckeye

I also use a leaf blower to clean dirt off logs before cutting. Note that we rarely have mud on logs, usually it's ;D in the form of packed, dry dirt. Also blow off mill between logs. One precaution, though. Turn off the engine before stirring up all that dirt, or it goes straight into your air filter.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GDinMaine

So much for my original idea.  :D

The thing is that I don't actually own said leaf blower. I had to borrow it from a fellow at work to see if it will do the trick.  I will be on the lookout for one tho. 

John,  The Mt. Washington trip only had 75MPH wind with -39F windchill.
I promise to bring leafblower for the bonfire this fall. 

WM LT-40HD-D42

AdamT

I prefer the hooking up and heading down the road method of cleaning my mill when on portable job. It only takes about 1/2 mile and she's no longer covered in sawdust.

I've had many customers offer to blow off my mill with their blower, but I always tell them no thanks. I'll make plenty of wind on the way home!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Nomad

Quote from: AdamT on May 08, 2013, 05:39:14 PM
I prefer the hooking up and heading down the road method of cleaning my mill when on portable job. It only takes about 1/2 mile and she's no longer covered in sawdust.

I've had many customers offer to blow off my mill with their blower, but I always tell them no thanks. I'll make plenty of wind on the way home!

Quote from: nomad on May 08, 2013, 08:29:18 AM
     A leaf blower is a staple on my truck, just like peaveys and a chain saw.  I used to just do the 60 MPH cleaning, until a nice young lady from the DOT stopped me and said if she caught me going down the road like that again...  dadgum you, Charlie!

Be careful with that.  The fine she quoted me was not something I'd want to have to pay.  On your head be it.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

this is what i use

120 psi will cleen things

works for me :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

A fella at our tractor pulls duct taped a leaf blower to the hood of his old case,he calls it his polish turbo.He said it helps. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

The only reason I bought a leaf blower was to clear sawdust from the mill.  Now, I'm thinking maybe gutters, too. ;)
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

The Stihl blower is my friend.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jay C. White Cloud

I second Magicman!  I have been using one of these for 20 years.  I think it is one of my "go to tools."   You can "air broom" with it, kindle fires, or use it as a power draft for wood pottery kilns,  many, many, uses besides blowing leaves.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Magicman

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on May 09, 2013, 10:12:51 PMmany, many, uses besides blowing leaves. 
:o  Ya mean that is will also blow leaves  ???  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2013, 10:20:35 PM
Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on May 09, 2013, 10:12:51 PMmany, many, uses besides blowing leaves. 
:o  Ya mean that is will also blow leaves  ???  :D

Huh.  I've never tried it for that!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

I use mine to blow out the leaves and dust that swirl into the garage.

Remove both vehicles and wear a mask when doing this job!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

Now that I have to buy one of these things, do I really have to go for the high $$$ item or a Ryoby, Echo or similar brand will do fine. The one I tried is a $200+ item and I plan on spending far less.   Should I get the one that blows the highest speed "wind" or the lesser one ??? ???

Here is my rant about cheap stuff:
I base my opinion on a cheap lawnmower that I bought close to 10 years ago and it just refuses to give in.  For one season I mowed my 1.5-2 acre yard with it (before getting tractor) at 6 hours/session and it sees regular use on the more scene scale to this day.  It is starting to smoke a little on start-up, but still works very well.
rant finished

WM LT-40HD-D42

GDinMaine

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 08, 2013, 08:35:14 PM
this is what i use

120 psi will cleen things

works for me :)

Peter,  I got the idea for blowing sawdust off the mill from your original post last year. I lack the far more macho engine driven compressor, but will spring for a wind machine.   After all I will have to take it to John's bonfire in the Fall.

WM LT-40HD-D42

bandmiller2

GD,those old lawnmowers seem to run forever I've never bought one ,find them at the dump and put a new plug in them,got 4 or 5 in stock.The way you tell if their worn out is they take a long time to get back to speed if you overload them,a newer tight mower will snap back quickly. Also blue smoke is a fair indicator. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnM

Quote from: GDinMaine on May 10, 2013, 07:51:23 PM
After all I will have to take it to John's bonfire in the Fall.
smiley_clapping

This all reminded me of my dad (always like reminders of Dad :)).  He hated 'leaf blowers', thought they were gimmicks and a waste of money.  Some time later I saw why...Johnny Carson did a rant on them, Dad was a huge Carson fan (who wasn't?). ;D

GD, check CL, I saw a couple in there flipping through the farm section.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

I have owned several different blowers/brands, but for me, the Stihls are the best.  By far the easiest starting and most reliable.

Chuck White

I agree Lynn.

Got my Stihl last year!

Easy pull and in just a few pulls it will start!

wwsjr

Bought a new BG86 last week. Old one didn't survive fire. I had used it for about 8 years sawdust, leaves, after weedeater on sidewalks, and garage. I like the new one.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

delvis

We actually had a customer tell us a couple of years ago that what we needed was a leaf blower to clean the mill up every night before going home.  He brought out his shop vac and put the hose on the exhaust side and it did such a good job, we bought the leaf blower.  I can't believe it never occurred to us before that.  What a great job it does and I feel like it makes for less fire hazard around the engine at night because we use it to cool the muffler down if it is still hot when we are ready to leave. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

thecfarm

We had one guy at work that was VERY cleaver. Just the simple things he would design. I use to look at it and wonder why I did not think of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

I have a Stihl BG-55, it's their entry level blower.  Works great (even on leaves!), starts everytime, and I think it was $150.  Not a bad deal  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

sparks

Who's that skinny guy posing as Jeff Brokaw?     ;D
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

ancjr

Coming from the lawn and landscape business, I'm no stranger to leaf blowers.  Obvious use in cleaning up sites and equipment, less obvious use in preventing spread of weed seed & other nasties *across* worksites.

Chuck White

ancjr is right, I like cleaning my mill with the blower because I don't want to "possibly" take a disease or undesirable seeds, etc. from one customers forest and transport it to someone elses forest!

trailman

i use a old attic fan. works real good

Thank You Sponsors!