iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Autoclutch - useful?

Started by WoodenHead, May 07, 2013, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I'm looking at a few upgrades for my LT40 and autoclutch is one of the things I could change.  I'm not unhappy with moving the lever by hand.  It might be a little stiff to engage, but certainly not the end of world.  Is there any particular advantage to autoclutch that makes it worthwhile to change over? 

Actually I am interested in the board return, but it comes in two flavors - one for mills with autoclutch and one for mills without.

drobertson

The auto clutch is a handy feature for sure, the modules are a bit pricey but worth the cost at the end of the day.  Drag backs are handy as well, if there is the proper set up to handle the boards as they come back,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

AdamT

I love my auto clutch. It was a standard feature when I ordered my mill.

I was told that the advantage of the manual lever over auto clutch, however, was that the operator could feel when the drive belt needed adjusting. I can see that to be true, but like I said, my auto clutch was standard, and I've never ran a mill with the manual lever.

I'd go with the auto clutch before the drag back option first.
Lubemizer will be my first upgrade, then I'll think about the board return.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

I have often thought about making that upgrade to my sawmill (as recent as a couple of months ago), but the cost always turns me back.  I do use my weight instead of my arm to do the engaging and sometimes even both arms.  My shoulder never complains, but sometimes my right knuckles do because of the stretching of my hand.  Right now it is not a big deal, and when it does become a burden, then I might be hanging it up anyway.  :-\

As Adam mentioned, I can tell when the drive belt needs more tension.  A did add the Lube-Mizer option.  Not for economic reasons, but for convenience.

I removed my board drag-back because being portable, there was no setup to utilize it.  I also insist that all workers stay in front of me and within my vision.  That way I can instantly cease the sawing operation when I see something that concerns me.

WM can give you the answers about which auto clutch version is correct for your particular sawmill.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John_Haylow

It was option put on my mill by the previous owner, I find it very handy.
John

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Don K

Auto clutch came on my mill as a free option and I would hate to be without it. I can tell when I need to make adjustments by sound if that makes sense. I hate to think about engaging a lever multiple times a day, just flip a toggle on my control box and I'm cutting without repetitive motion.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2013, 10:25:45 AM
I have often thought about making that upgrade to my sawmill (as recent as a couple of months ago), but the cost always turns me back.  I do use my weight instead of my arm to do the engaging and sometimes even both arms.  My shoulder never complains, but sometimes my right knuckles do because of the stretching of my hand.  Right now it is not a big deal, and when it does become a burden, then I might be hanging it up anyway.  :-\

As Adam mentioned, I can tell when the drive belt needs more tension.  A did add the Lube-Mizer option.  Not for economic reasons, but for convenience.

I removed my board drag-back because being portable, there was no setup to utilize it.  I also insist that all workers stay in front of me and within my vision.  That way I can instantly cease the sawing operation when I see something that concerns me.

WM can give you the answers about which auto clutch version is correct for your particular sawmill.   

I though you had autoclutch  on your mill MM , you know when we get older your supposed to go easy on your self when you can . and a man with your wealth you should have an autoclutch or maybe a new mill that has one. you seem to like milling. at 69 im impressed with the work you do, you can't take the money with you  :D :D
You and your Mrs should have the best in your golden years, thats what we work for all those years for

and no disrespect to you we all live the way we want, just be good to your self  :) :) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim H

I used a manual clutch for years. If you're sawing occasionally manual is fine. I was sawing full time and started to develop tennis elbow from grabbing and pulling all day, every day. I got the autoclutch on my latest mill and the symtoms were gone within 6 months.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

wwsjr

On my first manual mill did not have autoclutch, sawed two years on the manual. Bought 2002 Std HD, added Autoclutch. 2006 Super added Command Console with Autoclutch, when I decided I did not want to walk with the mill anymore. The Cat 51hp was heavy to lift to start the cut. Since my 2006 Super burned, I ordered Command Console again. At my age, I cannot pull the lever anymore, would not do without Autoclutch, Accuset, Lubemizer, and Debarker. I also use the powered dragback that is standard on the Super.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Bibbyman

AutoCluch is not needed for mills with light, air cooled engines use by part time sawyers.  Were they realy pay off is with the heavy engines and when you're using the mill a lot.  Pulling that lever can cause damage to your arm.

We had a very early Super with 35 HP Wisconsin engine.  When Mary ran it, she had to grab the handle with both hands, lock her elbows and let her knees buckle to pull the lever down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Get the auto clutch you won't regret it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WoodenHead

Hmmn.  It seems that the general consensus is that autoclutch is a good feature and certainly helps with repetitive strain.  Right now I have the 28HP gas (106lbs) and maybe would consider upgrading to the 35HP Kohler gas (132 lbs) in the future if needs required it.  Right now I am using the mill on a regular basis, but the manual clutch hasn't bothered me.  I demonstrated my LT28 the other day to a fellow (who ended up purchasing it) and nearly ripped the clutch handle off of it because I am so used to the LT40 now.  :D

My priority upgrades/modifications are:

1.  Hydraulics - I have the factory hydraulic loader, I made my own toe rollers and purchased a couple hydraulic backstops/linkage.  I am ordering the bolt-on factory log turner which is an available option for LT40 manual mills.  The backstops are actually part of the package too I found out.  I'm still struggling with the two plane clamp - whether to cut the frame to accomodate or to come up with my own.

2.  Drag back.  I made one for my LT28 and noticed a significant productivity improvement for my stationary setup.  But I have to decide on the autoclutch first because there are two versions of the drag back (one for autoclutch mills and one for non-autoclutch mills)

3.  Accuset.  A pricey upgrade, but I think will be worthwhile.

Admittedly autoclutch and lubemizer are lower on my priority list.  If funds permit I'll do the lubemizer upgrade in the future.  Unfortunately I have to decide on the autoclutch now.  It's a $750+ upgrade so I'm having a hard time justifying it. :-\ 

Nomad

If I recall correctly, Tom Cadenhead (Mr. Tom) needed surgery on his shoulder from operating his mill for too long without an autoclutch.  Even if he did have surgery, his shoulder wasn't worth a Dang toward the end of his life.  Just something to think about.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WoodenHead

Nomad, you just convinced me.  ;)

barbender

I haven't put enough time in on my mill to justify the auto clutch, if I start doing enough paying jobs I'll probably put it on. I leave my mill wound up and clutch engaged when gigging back most of the time, partly for speed but partly beacause I get sick of lifting that diesel engine ::) MM, I use my dragback all the time when sawing portable, I find it keeps the offbearer well behind me and out of my way. Obviously, you portable mill full time and have a good notion what you are doing ;) I'm just curious why that drag back wouldn't work for you, speed and safety wise.
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

Useful, even on a mill with a lite-weight gas engine, and especially at my age. Mine's home-made, using a wheel chair motor, mill's so old, factory parts don't fit without extensive mods.  .
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brucer

I had the manual clutch on my LT40 (28HP Kohler engine) when I was sawing part time. No problem.

I had the manual clutch on my LT40 hydraulic (same engine) when I started sawing full time. No problem -- at first. But my shoulder was starting to feel it after 6 months of full time sawing. So I bought the autoclutch upgrade and haven't regretted it for a second :).

I'm sure some people thought I was weird for a while after I installed the autoclutch. I reach out into the air with my right hand, get a confused look, and then remember to flick the switch with my left thumb :D.

The only difference between the two versions of the dragback option is the cover plates that go under the mill.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Please don't take this as an orange attack but it doesn't seem right to have to lift a heavy engine to tighten belts.Could you offset most of the engine weight with springs or get more of an advantage in the linkage.My homebuilt has twin "B" series belts and an over center idler very easy in and out.What actally does the work on an auto clutch is it a large solenoid or some outher means to lift the engine.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

scully

I have used a bunch of mills with manual enguage ,4 cyl Wisconson ,Kabota etc . for the amount of sawing I did it was fine . but now with my remote and the auto clutch I could never go back ! I think it is a much safer feature ! If you need to shut down fast the toggle is right at your fingertips ! It also blends well with accuset because when you are ripping boards off a square cant you can get in that zone and realy move without the distraction of hauling back on that lever . My second favorite thing is lube-mizer ! I hate stoping ever so often to fill my jug ! The board kicker is nice but I rarely ever use it .
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

I have a clutch on my Thomas like a chainsaw,just press the bicycle handle to the metal and go. Let go of the handle and it stops. Some of the other mills that they made are set up diffeant. My convenience is worth something as I say.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Frank, there is a motor with a plate on it that pushes on a rod. The plate is cam shaped to trip the magnetic limits. I'll take a pic when I go out to service the mill in a bit. I wouldn't want to go back to the lever.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

petefrom bearswamp

My 2 cents worth.
Auto clutch a must,
De barker a must.
In my situation (stationary) drag back is very useful.
I am ambivalent about the lube mizer.
On pulse it works fairly well but when I am sawing big Norway spruce I sometimes have to use constant flow which gulps water in large amounts.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

Made a quick video of the autoclutch on my LT40 Super.

http://youtu.be/Y7i36-7U5_Y
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

To me its kind of like whether you drive a vehicle with a stick shift or an automatic transmission.  Both work, but I sure prefer the auto clutch and a flick of a toggle switch. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 08, 2013, 06:02:16 AM
... it doesn't seem right to have to lift a heavy engine to tighten belts. ...

There's a bit more to it than that, Frank.

When you release the "clutch", the engine swings down (hinged on one side). Instead of resting on a stop of some kind, it ends up resting on one end of the brake band. In other words, the weight of the engine is used to stop the blade.

In this configuration, anything that counterbalances the weight of the motor will reduce the braking action when the clutch is disengaged.

Not saying it's the best way to do things, but there is a good deal of logic behind the design.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!