iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First load of wood for the year!

Started by Logging logginglogging, May 07, 2013, 08:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

Ha, Just got my first load of wood for the year last night. 6 cord of really nice log length. Gotta finish filling the wood shed with last years wood and start cutting and splitting this stuff!

thecfarm

I worked on mine some yesterday. I cleaned up where I had fell 2 hemlocks for the sawmiil. Nothing over 6 inches,but I filled all 5 chains and they all had at least 3 trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

Yeah, I still have some stuff that I cut over the winter I need to get picked up as well. I am happy because last year I dident get my wood untill much later. It was a wet spring last year and they couldent get in the wood for quite some time. I have a large corn field next to me and where I do my wood It gets a lot of sun and a nice cross breeze, I was really amazed last year at how fast the stuff was drying as soon as it got blocked up. Hoping to get started earlier this year and get that same thing happening even longer

doctorb

Not trying to make anybodyy mad, but I am done.  Wood shed is full and the outside wood is stacked on pallets.  The total is enough for 2 winters.  I'll pick up some more fuel from some trees that come down, and the 30 ailanthus I took down this spring, but, in terms of this coming year and the next, bring it on.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

proteus

I'm with you Doc. I've got 2 yrs cut ahead. I do plan on keeping it that way, so i will be out there this fall and cut some more  8)
Greg

Logging logginglogging

Hopefully i will also get further ahead, but this is only my second year wid my stove and I have been building my house for the last 3. This summer i have landscaping work all summer, then next year Ill start building my gararge... so i only do wood on week nights after work.

SwampDonkey

I put my first cord into storage today actually. It's well seasoned and dry. It will be my fall wood, which is always the driest wood that I set aside. It will chase the water out of the less seasoned wood in storage as the storage is heated. ;D

I've got to get the rest in this month as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Logging logginglogging

ill be on mine over the course of the summer, its 12 cord log length and quite large so needs to be split.
I also have other wood to cut and split for family

proteus

Quote from: proteus on May 07, 2013, 02:06:06 PM
I'm with you Doc. I've got 2 yrs cut ahead. I do plan on keeping it that way, so i will be out there this fall and cut some more  8)

wow! Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate.
Greg

petefrom bearswamp

2 years ahead and still cutting ash tops from a 2009 timber sale.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Logging logginglogging

Thats nothing for me, Between my job, fixing cars, equipment, and building stuff and wood and growing food I always have a full full year.

martyinmi

Hey Doc,

I'll see your 2 years and raise you 2 more! ;)
I think I have somewhere between 20 and 30 cords piled up.
About 7 or so is split, the rest just bucked up.
My goal is to be 100 cords ahead by the time I'm 60, then only cut for fun and charity after that. 8)

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

doctorb

Martyinmi-  that's great.  Mine is all split and stacked, to optimize the drying process.  I just don't like working in the heat of summer any more.  I am amazed how intolerant of the heat I have become as I have grown older.  Has anybody else noticed this as they have aged? 

So I try to do all the work associated with wood burning in the spring and fall, when it's great to work outside.  I set a deadline each year by which time I "have" to have all the wood prepped, just to get that chore out of the way.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

I don't count it until it is split and stacked for drying.  ;D

Otherwise, I'd just add up all the trees still standing in the woods and raise you many years out. 

So Marty, how many real "split and stacked" are on the table now?  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Must have lots of storage for all those cords.  ;D After 2 years of sitting in the elements, our northern hardwood would be less than ideal for firewood. Fungus growing all over it. Well depends I suppose, if it's one of those out door stoves probably wouldn't matter. But you'd need all them 100 cords one winter to keep from freezing to death. :D ;) But for indoor furnace, it wouldn't be so great. But everyone has their own ways. :)

I'm like Doc on the heat of summer, except I never liked it. :D Warm yes, but hot no. It's cooling down now for a few days, but still the 60's so just right. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Piston

Quote from: martyinmi on May 08, 2013, 10:38:00 PM

My goal is to be 100 cords ahead by the time I'm 60, then only cut for fun and charity after that. 8)

Marty,
That's the best idea I've ever heard!  smiley_beertoast
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Logging logginglogging

I find pleanty of water the day before and a good nights sleep and I can take the heat pretty well. However I am usually quite suseptible to heat  / sun stroke when in extream weather. Also I find that the more I ben over the worse its is...or mabye its the saw exhaust, but cutting wood down low in extream heat is usually what gets the heat stroke started for me.

thecfarm

In that case beenthere,I don't have any and have not had any for years. I am slack on the wood. I have alot going on here that I enjoy doing. I may haul the wood out in so called tree lenghts,more like 20-40 feet,easier to get out of the woods that long, Snow on the ground and just about all my outdoor work stops. That is when I'm out working on the firewood. One winter I was cutting dead white pine all winter. I feel I'm doing good when it's cut and in a pile.  ;D
As Poston said,this works for me.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

doctorb right on about the heat.
I have a small meadow that i process my wood and am able to stay in the shade most of the day.
Only skid cut and split when my son helps as i supply him with wood in addition to my own.
Haven,t started yet as i have been very busy at the mill
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

Quote from: martyinmi on May 08, 2013, 10:38:00 PM
Hey Doc,

Marty ,Marty ,Marty ,my goodness nephew do you have any idea how large of a stack 100 cords is? Like 8 feet wide ,4 feet high and 400 feet long .

You'll have 50 percent of the chipmonks of the lower portion of Mich living in those piles .The cats will come from 3 countys around and the red tail hawks from as far away as Ohio and Indiana .

Within two years the bird droppings alone will be a foot deep on the piles .The cats will reproduce like rats and you'll have a millon of them .Here you've had a fuss over two or three .

Then if it all rots up you'll have a 400 foot long mess  of toad stools .Oh Lawdy !

martyinmi

An older fellow (he is 72) that works for us part time driving tractor and such has well over 100 full cords, all split, stacked, and inside his old red barn, as well as two small grain bins stuffed to the tops.
If he wants, he can cut more, but if he doesn't want to, well, ya'll get the picture. ;)
He burns an average of 5-6 cords/year, so he should get by until he's about 90 with what he has.
I want to have that luxury when I'm his age.
Most everything he's cut in the last four or five years has went to one of his 5 kids.

If we ever quit working 12-16 hour days, I'll snap a few pictures of my wood pile and post them.

Funny story.
My 11 year old and I give away a few good sized trailer loads every year to a few needy families from my sister's church.
Folks accepting free wood are mostly very appreciative, but there are some that just will complain about anything and everything. We dropped off a load to a family without a father in the house, and the mom and the two teenage boys came out (with I pad and Kindle in hand) and helped us unload and stack the wood, all the while pithing and moaning about the length, width, and the seasoning of the wood. After we left, my son quoted a Chinese proverb (about teaching a man to fish), and said that the next time we go to the woods and cut wood, as well as split it, we should bring along those bellyaching boys. I told him that that was a brilliant idea, but that it was not a Chinese proverb he was quoting, but a quote from Jesus in the bible. He told me that I was wrong, and I proceeded to sucker him in on a bet about the author of the quote. After all, I'm 40 years older than him and I'm surely right, right?
WRONG! Thought I'd get my pick-up hand washed for nothing. Turns out I had to buy him a new soccer ball. :-[
Little smart alec. Gets that from his mom!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

r.man

Little smart alec with a new soccer ball. Could have been worse, you might have been borrowing his truck until he was old enough to drive.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!