iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripping 6x16's into 6x8's?

Started by OlJarhead, May 07, 2013, 12:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Got a request for quote to rip some 20 foot PT 6x16's into 6x8's.  They are beams from a barn and he wants them cut to 7 foot lengths also.
Would like some feedback from those willing :)

Not sure how I'd give the guy a good cross cut on a 6x8 because my miter saw just won't do it (won't do 6x6's either) but I can certainly rip them down.  I figure I'll have to leave the cutting them to nice 7' lengths to the customer and will suggest using a chainsaw to cut them down to 7'6" to start with.  The remaining 5 foot beams can be milled into 4x6's or 6x8's depending on what he wants to do with them.

Figure 40 beams (after he's cut the 20 footers down to 7's and change) at 7'+ loading 3 at a time will take me 5 minutes each set of three to mill in half (guessing as the wood is PT and dried so likely similar to milling hardwood -- thank god I installed the 10hp motor!) and probably 5 minutes on and off with a tractor (guessing but we loaded a 1200lbs log with the winch in 6 minutes so I'm thinking a tractor wouldn't take but a minute to load the beams) and I'm looking at 10-15 minutes per set of 3 times 14 sets (3x14 is 42 I know but there may be other cuts then the 7' beams as he may want something done with the 5 footers too but I'll add that later I suspect).

So probably about 3 1/2 hrs (more likely 4) at a minimum just to mill the beams.

What do you think?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Rereading the request it does sound like he wants me to cut them down for him...I'm thinking this could turn into an 8+ hour day....

Nomad

I'd crosscut to 7' first with a chainsaw.  Charge by the hour.  Keep in mind that the environmental folks will probably consider pressure treated sawdust to be hazmat.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jay C. White Cloud

Morn'n OlJarhead,

For what it's worth:

Pressure treated 6x16 ???, do you know what kind of PT?

Separate the saw dust and bag it. You may even want him to take it or charge him for getting rid of it.  You can't really use it anywhere as it can kill pets, plants, etc.  Take care of yourself too, the dust can make some folks really sick-dust mask minimum.  Had to cut some fence post while in the Marines, and that was the first time I saw someone go to the hospital for it. Some kind of "lung" reaction to creosote dust.

We cut ends all day long up to 16"x 16".  I would, if the client really wants a square cut, doing it by hand.  Just by a new saw and a large square, if you don't have one.  It won't take you more the 5 minutes to cut through them.  We use Japanese pull saws, there are some pictured in my gallery.  You can use a chain saw, but the cut is really rough if you don't use a saw guide.  The guide is easy to make out of some two by stock.  Just lay out your cut like you are going to for a hand cut and tack on some guide boards for a nice "top drop cut."  Press a sharp saw against the "guide sticks" and the saw will follow the 2x stock through the cut.

Good luck.

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

MotorSeven

I'll have to look that up, but I think it's a Class C Misdemeanor to cut up perfectly good 20 foot 6x16' PT beams ;) I'd hold onto those suckers and go out and buy the 6x8's................
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

OlJarhead

Guess he has a pole barn that he's taken down and wants to use the beams for something else.

I told him I'd do it at an hourly rate charging for both myself and my son and if he handles the sawdust and assists with loading off-loading.

Made sure the rate was fair but not so low I'm eating my shirt afterwords!

MotorSeven

I can't even find that size via google....6x16x20', but a 12x12x20 PT is worth $333 each....wow.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

drobertson

Erik, sounds very doable to me, first things first, if the finish length is 7+ feet, I might consider cutting them to length first, mainly to minimize the potential bow these beams might have,  a chainsaw would work for cross cutting, if concerned about tear outs, maybe scab a few sraps on each side of the beam while cutting them, the dust could be handled in some sort of duffle bag or the like to catch the dust.  I have cut many multiples at once and not always happy with the results, too much variation in thickness between beams. sounds like a good trial and error kinda job.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OlJarhead

Thanks David,

My thoughts on the multiples is just that:  trial and error.

I figured I could try 3 or 4 at once but if it didn't work out I could drop to two or even one depending on how it goes.

I may have my chain sharpened by a pro locally for my chainsaw.  I usually hand file it until it cuts straight through a log but if it's off a bit I don't care much since I cut over anyway or am making firewood.  I've got good chisel teeth chains (Oregon) and some rippers (might be smoother cuts) but will wait to see what the guy wants done with them.  After all, if he wants fence posts then who cares right? lol

I'm thinking the dust could be handled the way Happy (I think) does with a bucket under the shoot to catch it -- and I agree dust-masks and face shields for this one!  The LT10 likes to make you eat dust when it's two feet off the ground!

losttheplot

Quote from: drobertson on May 07, 2013, 10:06:44 AM
Erik, sounds very doable to me, first things first, if the finish length is 7+ feet, I might consider cutting them to length first, mainly to minimize the potential bow these beams might have, 

+1
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Chuck White

Shouldn't take very long to complete!

1. Cut to 7' (+ a little)

2. Put the two 7+ footers on the mill and make one cut.

3. Decide what to do with the 5+/- footer.

4. Done. ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Chuck White on May 07, 2013, 12:36:23 PM
Shouldn't take very long to complete!

1. Cut to 7' (+ a little)

2. Put the two 7+ footers on the mill and make one cut.

3. Decide what to do with the 5+/- footer.

4. Done. ;D

Times 20....

beenthere

Nothing to do with the task at hand, but pressure treated 6" x 16" beams is a bit puzzling as to why, and with what treatment, and what species.

Just doesn't add up.   ::)

And if pressure treated 6 x 8's are of interest, after splitting the beams the splits will not be treated on the sawn face. Only the surface of the 6 x 16 's will be treated. Again, not your worry.

I'd suspect they are creosote treated, maybe Penta.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

Hopefully you don't get really unlucky and hit metal too.  A beam that big could have a whole deer stand in it  ;).

That has got to be one of the weirdest requests I've read on this forum.

OlJarhead

Seems the guy has a barn that he took down for whatever reason and wants to re-use the timbers.

I didn't give him a break on pricing because it sounds like a crappy job (what with the need to wear face masks etc) but told him I might be able to complete the job in 4 hours or less -- however I charge a minimum of 4 hours for a job that's 90 miles away plus travel and setup.

We'll see how badly he wants to do this ;)

Chuck White

OOPS !!!

I overlooked the quantity!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

They are sure to be full of nails. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

swampbuggy

Yup, don't forget the metal detector!

.When starting out you have to take jobs like that to get experience. Then you will know whether you want to do them again and price accordingly!

I like the.... cut beam to 8 ft and rip both in half, trim to size upon installation method.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

OlJarhead

Seems it was a wind blown barn so some of the beams have splits in them.

He'll let me cut them to 7 foot lengths with the chainsaw and will provide one helper (and my son will also be there -- I've added for the extra labor on our part).

He'll deal with the sawdust (these may not be PT's but rather green painted -- that stuff you buy at HD perhaps -- but I'm not taking chances)...

Also they are 6x12's now ;)

beenthere

I gather that you have not seen the material. Will you look at it before moving the mill to the site?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

old jar,
are you in need of work? if not you might want to reconcider this job. nails, dirt, some form of treating.you know the saying if a job starts out bad it won't get better :)
gooood  luck!

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

OlJarhead

Thanks RedOak -- Just trying to get the biz off the ground for my son so I'm sure we have some dues to pay!

Don't mind though as it would be a learning experience.

drobertson

Every job has its ups and downs, the only way to work through these is simply to go for it and put a notch in the belt,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!