iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beam saw blade recommendations

Started by danreed76, May 06, 2013, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

I just scored a deal on a 16" circular saw (Ryobi).  Looks just like the older makitas, but it's blue instead of gold.  Snagged it for under a hundred bucks, needing the cord replace (just old and lots of tape) and a new blade.

What do y'all recommend for a good blade for these monster saws?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jim_Rogers

When I got mine, it came with a carbide tipped blade. I wanted it to be sharpened as mine was a tool rental place saw, and probably well used or incorrectly used. So I took the blade off and sent it out to be sharpened.

I was concerned that I would need the saw while the blade was out, and ordered one of Amazon.com. But I didn't pay attention to details and it was just a high speed steel blade and not a carbide tipped blade. I paid $99 plus shipping for it.

I have used it but it wasn't what I wanted.

You should get a good cross cut blade or maybe even a combination blade if they have one. We have used mine for ripping many times.

Good luck with your saw.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi DanReed76,

We have been using "Freud Diablo Saw Blades" on all our saw for about ten years now, and have been very pleased, amongst us, we have 9-400 mm (16") saws, 5- 250 mm (10") saws, 12-190 mm (7.5") saws and several "left" handed minis, 4-300 mm (12") chops, 4-250 mm (10") table saws.  These are all running "Diablo" blades some with up to 12 sharpenings on them.  Couldn't be happier! ;D

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Dave Shepard

The newer Makitas are blue. I've never heard of a 16" Ryobi, but that doesn't really mean anything. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jay C. White Cloud

Hitachi and Ryobi make some real nice timber framing tools (chain mortisers, chisel mortiser, real big saws, etc.) they just aren't sold in USA anymore, only overseas.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

danreed76

Thanks, Gents.  As a follow up, I found a Freud diablo 16 5/16" carbide tooth blade for $80 still in the package on Ebay.  Somebody bought it and never took it out of the package.  Not bad vs. $139 in the box store.  Very similar to the blades I use on my other saws (miter saw, table saw, etc).  I may keep an eye out for a good deal on a finer blade to keep as a spare.

I've been hunting one of these saws for a while, and like Dave, didn't know Ryobi made one ( I was shopping for a Makita).  This one popped up, and I did about 15 minutes worth of googling before I decided to take a chance on it.  Worst case, brushes and bearings are easy to get.  Once the blade shows up, we'll see if it needs any more work than just a cord (got plenty of those; whenever I see something electrical getting thrown away, especially with a heavy duty cord, I cut it and put in the shop).

The only complaint anyone seemed to have with the saw is the gyrating startup (reckon from the mass of the blade) and the slow spin-down.

scored another heck of a deal on a brand new Makita wheel brush sander.  Not sure how we plan to finish the timbers yet, but this gives me some options.

Thanks for the recommendations, Jay and Jim.  Hopefully by the time my current work trip is over, my new toys er, um... tools will be waiting at the house.

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Buddy,

That "gyro" effect is common on all big saws.  It's just the nature of spinning that big steel disc that fast.  I have seen "layfolk," raise that complaint a few time, and it just shows their lack of "Big" tool use.  They should try a 600 mm (24") saw, they are a real bear to handle.

Regards,

jay

Thank You Sponsors!