iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahindra tractor

Started by Tim L, May 05, 2013, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim L

I have looked at past threads but found nothing recent. I have finally convinced the bank of Anita that it's time for a new tractor. I am considering the Mahindra 5010 cab model. Anyone have experience/input on this ? I want it to plow snow,load my mill, do firewood and maintain my long dirt driveway and hopefully build that new barn I've been dreaming about for 10 years. When the bank of Anita spends, you only get one shot to do it right, I can't get a do-over so I'm doing research. Thanks all !
Do the best you can and don't look back

shinnlinger

Where are you in NH?  I have several neighbors with Mahindras.  One might even have that exact model.  They all like them and consider them to be well built machines and a good value.  My only concern would be parts.  They used to sell them just in VT but that dealer has now switched brands.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Tim L

I live in Boscawen and Knoxland equipment is near by (Warner). I sat in your VW bus with you a few years ago, hope all is well.

T Welsh

Tim, When I get ready to purchase a new piece of equipment I dream first and then come to reality of what I can afford and what is the best for me and my uses ;D. All machines break down, I always look at where I can get parts and service support within a reasonable amount of time and distance. Is there a dealer close to you! Tim

Tim L

Yes ,the dealer is 10 minutes away . Mahindra is offering 0% financing also.I want to get it right because my wife (The bank of Anita) will not understand if I go to her in a year and tell her I want something different. This is the tractor that will be at my funeral.

shinnlinger

I didn't recognize you with the beard!   I didn't know Knoxland sells Mahindra.   I have never heard anything  bad about them and 0% 10 minutes way sounds good if the dealer is a good one(and I think they are).  Do you still have your backhoe?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Tim L

Yes , I still have the backhoe. It needs a couple cylinders rebuilt in the dipper and it sat so long the batteries are bad. It runs great but I don't need a 2wd backhoe anymore and want a modern tractor to maintain the property.

Corley5

My neighbor has a Mahindra and he likes it.  He's had it about five years, snow blows his fairly long drive, cleans out his horse barns etc.  He likes it.  I'm not sure what model it is.  It appears to be a well built machine.
  The only thing I ever heard bad about them and it may have only applied to the older ones was that unlike other makes of small tractors they had a dry clutch rather than a wet one and the service life especially doing loader work was short compared to others.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tim L

I've gone to a lot of tractor forums and there is more positive than not. Of course with any brand you can find someone who is not happy so you have to go by the majority opinion. I have more faith in the Forestry Forum folks because I know the type of work they do with equipment and their proven track record of integrity.

Left Coast Chris

We are in the same boat regarding needing to replace our tractor.  We have a Mahindra dealer, a Ford/kioti dealer, and a Kabota dealer close by.  I put a fair number of hours on the tractor and so does my wife so I have to think of her also.  Her knee hurts from too much clutching.  We have a 40hp Massey Ferguson that is bomb proof now with about 5000 hours on it.   It is getting up in hours so we have to think about replacing.  It is starting to smoke under load a bit more then when we got it. 

We have a friend with 50 acres and he bought a larger Mahindra.  Not sure the model.   He has on going problems with the wiring.  Other than that he is getting by with it.   Another friend has 5 acres but discs and puts a fair amount of hours on a approx. 30 HP Mahindra tractor.  His is only three years old and it was constantly overheating.  Finally blew the head gasket.  The fix cost him $1200.

My concern is on the tractor forums many of the newer tractors don't seem to last multiple thousands of hours without major issues.  They don't seem to be industrial grade tractors.  Maybe made for homeowner use.  Just observations from friends and forums.

The exception seems to be the Kabota, John Deer, and maybe Ford on specific models.   The Kabota and John Deer appear to have better resale value.

I have always thought I would go for a used Kabota or John Deer before a new lesser make but there are so many factors to consider.  Of the lesser and lower cost makes, the approx. 45 HP hydrostatic drive Branson is interesting.  Let us know how you do!  Best of luck.  :P :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Tim L

I hear what you're saying. My wife is firm about buying new, she wants tractor work not working on the tractor. I will do a little more research but this Mahindra deal is tempting. Time will tell. In the meantime I welcome all the guidance I can get.

Peter Drouin

Hello neighbor, I looked at the Mahindra and they looked ok ,
but I went green for resale down the road maybe and parts in concord there are 2 dealers for JD, but you have to go to 60 horse or biger to get one made in the usa, mine is 80 horse made in georgia, got from rosencrantz in kensington 772- 4414
But now theres a JD for farm in concord, I like mine,
and stay away from the hydrostatic ones, with them you can't use the brake to help steer them becouse you can't push on the forword pedal and brake at the same time there on the same side unless you have 2 right feet :D

Just my 2 cents best of luck with your hunt
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

T Welsh

Tim, I am not familiar with the brand,so talk to other owners of the same and ask them if they would purchase it again after owning and working them. That will tell you a lot. I think all dealers red,green,orange are running good financing deals right now, we are looking at a Bobcat 770 all wheel steer skid steer right now and they have the same deal 0% for 3 years! But its a $65,000.00 machine!!!! OUCH. Tim

Tom the Sawyer

Tim L.

I think OlJarhead has a Mahindra 5010.  You might PM him if he doesn't chime in on this thread.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Tim L

Thanks all. Oljarhead are you out there ?

beenthere

Tim
Wish you the best with your decision.
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Tim, an ole co worker had shopped and studied, and decided on the manhindra, far as I know he had one issue with the drive train, it was under warranty, fixed without issues, and never looked back,  He liked the weight of the machine as well as other options they have,  I think now days most have their pluses and minuses,    wish the best for you,  I think the biggest issue with any brand is to keep up the maintenance, and keep within the limits of the machine.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RALFF

I have a 2006 Mahindra 4530 4WD with a Mahindra ML 245 FEL. It has given me good service with no breakdowns at all. I have used it rather hard at times. About 3 years ago, while helping a neighbor clean up after a wind storm I used the FEL to pick up an oak log that according to the to the Forum calculator weighed 3450 pounds and the FEL is rated to lift a maximum of 2950 pounds.

thecfarm

How many hp,is that tractor. If buying new get the AG tires,narrow,deep cleats, Not the R1 ?? wide cleats,not much depth to them. I had the AG on another tractor and did good in my wet places,on a hill. Than I got another tractor,a used one,with the r's and I hate them. A BIG difference in traction. I asked another guy about the tires,without saying anything and he don't like them either.About the only thing I like about them is for packing down a place that I have dug up.    ::)  My other tires would not pack it down good. If buying new insist on the AG,8 ply too. The tractor I brought was an '03 with 800 hours on it. It looked brand new when I brought it.
I like what Peter said too. My tractor is a manual shift. I just like a manual better. My wife has a hydo. For what she uses that for,it works good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim L

It's 49 hp with Ag tires and manual shift. Thanks for the heads up everyone. I've learned much and am loving the input. Feel free to keep it coming.

thecfarm

Nice size tractor,nice tires,nice tranny. Load up those rear tires with something,calium,beet juice and you will be good to go.
Do you have a plow for it? I would suggeat a 3pt winch too. yes,kinda pricey,but will last for years and it makes working in the woods so easy. We use to use just chains.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim L

I want several implements but need to start with a box scraper. The others will have to wait. Fortunately Pustizzi fruit farm is across the road and he has been very generous with equipment and tools.

Sprucegum

I have a Mahindra 3525 = 35 horsepower 2 wheel drive. My only complaint has been cold weather starting, yes it gets cold up here once in a while. This fall I will be installing a circulating heater which should take care of that problem.

OlJarhead

Never noticed the thread sorry!  Got the PM's though :)

I have a set of old disks (really half a set I think) and the 5010 drags them through the virgin soil we have like nobodies business :)  My daughter says "what's not to enjoy?  I'm driving a big monster that destroys everything in it's path!" lol 

I have a 72" box blade (bent 2 or 3 times on the rocks because the 3 point is MUCH stronger then the box blade), a boom (bent hauling too many trees out of the woods at once -- the Mahindra will drag your house out of the woods but the boom better be stronger! lol), a 60" brush hog (mows small trees in a single bound, er pass) and hope to get a plow blade and auger this year.

I've plowed my driveway and the road to my neighbors and his driveway with the FEL and the box blade and it works ok but I'd prefer the plow blade.

When it was below zero and 15+ inches of snow at the cabin we had to hike in to get the tractor so we could plow our way back to the truck.  I was warned that the tractor might not start because of the cold and sitting for over a month...they were wrong!  The Mahindra fired right up without issue.

No problems with it to date.
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

gspren

The few Mahindras that I have seen reminded me of Massey Fergusons which is not a bad thing, are they related?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!