iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Shot Myself

Started by Magicman, May 04, 2013, 10:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

As many hundreds of times that I have seen a nail or brad follow the woodgrain and turn back or out, I know better.  Well this morning I was nailing along and for some reason laid my hand alongside of the door facing.  Immediately a 16ga finishing nail turned and into my  pointing finger it went.  :-\  Ouch, I said, and I really did, and it really did.  Bled too.

Sometimes it seems that careful is not careful enough.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

OK Magicman time to make a deal.
No Pictures. This one don't sound too bad anyways, THIS TIME.
I don't want you to get hurt for another six months. Seems like you start and there is no stopping you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

I thought surely you were joking ...there seems to be an epedemic going around ...I am afraid to turn on a power tool of any kind.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Warbird

You've reached your quotas of injuries there, MM.  No more allowed!  Heal up quick, my friend.

Left Coast Chris

Hope it's not too bad.  Can you put on some hydrogen peroxide and keep going or did you have to go to the doc?

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Ah, just a pin prick. A rather large pin though. Probably stings like a bee. Don't do it no more, or we might call ya pin cushion. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mometal77

Why I even look before entering someones house I do not know open up the door you might cut yourself on the trim into the house or snag your jacket. I swear my sisters new house is old and boobie trapped every time I go into that place.  It reminds me of Nevada.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Al_Smith

You have to watch those air nailers .

bama20a

Worked with a fellow (in my other life ;D)He was using a air trim gun,We all was in a bad habit of holding the trigger down,& pushing the nose down to make it shoot,He was going up a step ladder,when he hit the top of his knee with the gun, Brade went the top of his knee cap.
The boss took him to the hosp-,The nail had run down alone the leg bone & the x-ray showed it at the top of his ankle. They cut it out & he was back at work that afternoon.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

drobertson

MM, I think everyone that has used the air nailers have at least had some close calls! and it is amazing how fast the run with the grain!  handy units to use just not much mercy when they go the wrong way,  this is when you realize just how many times you reach into your pants pockets through the day, hope the healing is a fast one,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

Years ago a carpenter working on an office we were renting for the Forest Service was working down in another section of the store front.  I was leaving for lunch when I heard him yelling for help.  He was on a step ladder, working on the top of a stud wall when he nailed his hand to the wall. 

I found that preachers, he was one and nicknamed Preacher, could cuss like a sailor when I got a claw hammer and a piece of 2x4 and pulled the nail out.

Not sure how he did it, but the nail was still sticking out the back of hand enough to operate. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

Quote from: Warbird on May 04, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
You've reached your quotas of injuries there, MM.  No more allowed!  Heal up quick, my friend.

X2.  We may be forced to change your screen name to Calamity Jane.  A collection for the life-sustaining impenetrable bubble has begun, so that you will not be able to inflict further harm on yourself.  Jeff once asked, after one of your previous injuries, if you were doing this to provide us with entertainment.  The question is still stands. :)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

:)  No.  Neither for your nor my entertainment or even sympathy, but we are among friends.  If one of my mishaps can prevent another from the same then all is well.

That finger is sore today.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPIKER

I come close left a couple scratches from framing nail gun.   took one in the back of the thumb on other end of wall from my brother running the gun on top plate while I was working the bottom.   it sliced thru the skin on back of my thumb while I was holding the same stud.   lol :o

he got his finger a few shots later from doing the "Hold the trigger" and BUMP the board trick.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sumday

Put a 3 inch framing nail in my left index finger once. Went in tight against the center knuckle and came out right under the finger nail. Kinda followed the bone but didn't hit it too bad.

Axe Handle Hound

I'll bet that finger is awfully sore.  Make sure you don't get an infection started in there...puncture wounds are the worst for that.  I've had better luck keeping my brads straight in the wood if I turn the length of the head 90 degrees to the direction of the grain.  They still run out from time to time, but it seems like it's a lot less. 

My brother once shot a 2" resin coated staple completely into the back of his left thumb.  Buried the head right out of sight and nothing made it out the front side (he's got pretty thick paws).  Xrays confirmed it went right through the center of the bone.  The doctor had to kneel on his arm and pull as hard as he could with a forceps (twice) to get it to pop out. Oddly enough, he said it never really hurt as much as he thought it would.

grweldon

Thank you for sharing Lynn.  I have not yet used an air nailer, but I bought a compressor last last fall and I plan on using one.  I've heard the stories, but even knowing better this sounds like something I would be prone to do.  This warning will serve to keep me aware of the possibility of mishap...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

martyinmi

Sounds like that might have smarted a bit Lynn. :'(

You probably shouldn't be handling any sharp objects for the rest of your years, so I'll be happy to help you out by taking that knife and ax off your hands for you.

You know the ones I'm talking about...made by that Neeman fellow. ;)

Go ahead and send them up my way. I'll even help you out further by covering the shipping costs. That's if you'll let me, of course. smiley_sun

That's the kind of fellow I am- always trying to help a brother out! 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

I have a couple air nailers ,roofing plus framing ,no finish .I borrowed a finish nailer but it didn't do what I thought it should so I just predrilled and nailed the ash trim I was installing at the time .It wasn't like nailing pine,closer to concrete .

tyb525

I've done the same Lynn, those pesky brads like to turn right around in the wood and come out right into your finger.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

You have a vivid imagination Marty.  Defective but vivid.   :D  :D

Magicman

I had another nail to turn on me last week, but thankfully my fingers were nowhere near.

That bad boy woulda hurt.   :o

SPIKER

no pics but this week I was putting in some nailers for the finish work on the Pole Barn bathroom.  I had a 14" length of treated 2x4 between a doubled up 2x6 & a wall header.   At the 2x6 side I was nailing 3-1/2" coated 16 pennys in at angle and one decided to double hit.   it shot down the 14" 2x4 and stuck about 1/2" into the pine wall stud :o missed all my fingers and hand wrist 8) it went between my palm and the 2x4 as I was holding it about midway & was first shot...   I had it between my fingers and thumb on the 3-1/2" side... :-[ blindsmiley Just lucky there...

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

muskoka guy

My rule of thumb is never pull the trigger if your hand is within stiking distance of the nail. Over the years I have seen guys nail their fingers together, shoot their coworker across the room, shoot themselves in the side of the leg. One employee was climbing a step ladder and lifted his leg into the gun. Shot a 3 1/4 inch spike right through his femur bone in his leg. Most accidents happen because people keep their finger on the trigger. They go to move and the hose gets caught on something and pulls the gun into them. I  teach my employees to be safe, but if you use them everyday like we do, sometimes accidents do happen. I was nailing plywood onto trusses one time and had it hit a gangnail behind the plywood. The nail turn and came right back out. Nailing studs through the plates while building a wall on the floor  seems to be a bad one. Too many people nail the top nail first, while their hand is holding the stud. I prefer to nail the bottom first, move my hand, then put the top nail in. Too easy to blow the top corner off the plate. I know  this because I shot myself in the hand about twenty years ago and dont want to experience that again.  :o

muskoka guy

Hey spiker,  how long do you have to be on the forum before you lose the new guy handle. I see you have had over 1600 posts, and are over 2000 years old, yet it still says you are new. lol

drobertson

Spiker, you have 1611 posts,  that number somehow rings a pleasant bell for me!  and I figure we all are new, at least at one thing or other, take care brother,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

Quote from: muskoka guy on May 21, 2013, 09:00:14 PM
Hey spiker,  how long do you have to be on the forum before you lose the new guy handle. I see you have had over 1600 posts, and are over 2000 years old, yet it still says you are new. lol

When you take the time and edit it from your profile. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!