iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you like most about sawing?

Started by kelLOGg, May 04, 2013, 10:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Many things, for me, but early this AM one thing stood out. I wanted to see how little waste I could generate and still make useable lumber. I sawed a small straight pine log (10" small end and 12' long) into six 1.5 x 6s and four 1 x 4s for a shed for a total of 66 bdft. (Two of the 1 x 4s had too much bark on them to be fully useable so I subtracted 4 bd ft from the total.) The pics show the lumber and waste. Yeah, there is still some wane but quite useable for a drying shed.

The different scales predict the following bd ft.
Doyle               27
Scribner           41
International     48
perfect cylinder 79

Not too shabby. Took about 1.5h. Of course, not many people will take the time to saw pine like it is a rare southern species ;D.  I can't take the time to saw like this when I am sawing for someone else but for myself, it is gratifying to see minimal waste.
Bob

Here's the waste pile.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mikeb1079

man that IS minimal waste.   :D  kinda cool to see how much you can eek out of a log.  my favorite part of sawing is seeing the fresh cut face and the colors/patterns of the wood.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

AK Newbie

Wow nicely done! I like creating boards I can use in both construction of useful structures as well as many useful items like equipment stands and cabin furniture.
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Northern Spots

Well I haven't actually sawed anything yet, as its ordered (can't wait thou) but the thing I'm going to like the best is what ever size board I need is only a couple passes away on my mobile dimension.
2013 Mobile Dimension Saw , 683 Bobcat, 365 Husky And a wife willing to run them all !!!

Ljohnsaw

That's a heck of a pile sawdust back there from this log. I'm suprised you got any lumber!  :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

I think I like every aspect of sawing, taking a raw log and making usable materials is very rewarding. Your comment on limitied waste is another great aspect of the smaller bandmills,  I can't count how many remarks have been made by folks in regards to mimimal waste.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I just like to saw a log (even a crooked one) and then watch the customers face when he sees what I got out of it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

to much bark left on if your custom sawing. i saw clean and no 1x4's. the slab isn't much thicker opening up a 6" face. even sawing how i do i'm still over scale  :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

redbeard

Every day I get to mill logs is better than the last time I was at the mill.  It just keeps getting better and better.  Best investment I have ever made. Love it!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

lyle niemi

I agree with Drobertson! taking a raw material and making a product out of it. This has been the most rewarding venture in my life and it's not a money thing either. 8)

drobertson

The post about crooked logs gives room for lots of discussion, just wonder how many fancy products have wound up in the firewood pile?  what seems to be a pain at the time often leads to some very interesting pieces,  it boils down to again imagination of an individual with the wherewith to dig out the nuggets that are just beneath the surface waiting for the magic touch of tlc,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on May 04, 2013, 05:18:29 PM
The post about crooked logs gives room for lots of discussion, just wonder how many fancy products have wound up in the firewood pile?  what seems to be a pain at the time often leads to some very interesting pieces,  it boils down to again imagination of an individual with the wherewith to dig out the nuggets that are just beneath the surface waiting for the magic touch of tlc,

I try

It's all fun, and if I can make a buck thats ok too  :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sawdust Lover

Yea, theres nothing like opening up a log to see whats inside. You never know what will come out of an old crooked log.

bandmiller2

In our world today most folks produce just one little part of the manufacturing process.When your a sawyer you convert a raw material into something useable yourself. I work in a log rich envourment and leave my slabs a little meatier than most because their used to fire a boiler. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Peter, you have inventory!!!

Sawdust lover,nice picture,the mouse even has sawdust on his back.

I grab my chainsaw and go get the tractor. Down the woods road I go looking for that certain tree. There's a bunch just before the bog,I should be able to find something as my dog runs by me,because he has to lead the way.There's a deer,he'll be gone for a few minutes. I get to the bog and start to look. There's one,no good for now,has a seam. There's another one,that one looks better. Looks like I will have to cut a few others trees to get it down. I look at an old stump and remember my Dad and me cut some wood in here when he was alive, can't even hardly tell we was in here.Start saw and start to make a place for the tree to fall. All ready to cut the tree down,the dog just came back. Looks like he ran through the bog,his legs are all black.Tree goes just where I want it. I cut out a log and I am able to drive the tractor loader right up to it,so I put a chain around the log and get it balanced and head for the sawmill. The dog is leading the way.I put the log on the mill and get ready to saw it. Log is a good size one,I need some 2x8 so I will need the tractor to turn it until I feel I can handle it with a peavey. The 2x's are sawed and I had some 1 inch boards too. I put the 2x's on the loader and stacked and stickered the boards and now to build that Veggie Stand the wife wants. That is what I like about sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on May 04, 2013, 09:30:55 PM
Peter, you have inventory!!!

Sawdust lover,nice picture,the mouse even has sawdust on his back.

I grab my chainsaw and go get the tractor. Down the woods road I go looking for that certain tree. There's a bunch just before the bog,I should be able to find something as my dog runs by me,because he has to lead the way.There's a deer,he'll be gone for a few minutes. I get to the bog and start to look. There's one,no good for now,has a seam. There's another one,that one looks better. Looks like I will have to cut a few others trees to get it down. I look at an old stump and remember my Dad and me cut some wood in here when he was alive, Can't even hardly tell we was in here.Start saw and start to make a place for the tree to fall. All ready to cut the tree down,the dog just came back. Looks like he ran through the bog,his legs are all black.Tree goes just where I want it. I cut out a log and I am able to drive the tractor loader right up to it,so I put a chain around the log and get it balanced and head for the sawmill. The dog is leading the way.I put the log on the mill and get ready to saw it. Log is a good size one,I need some 2x8 so I will need the tractor to turn it until I feel I can handle it with a cant dog. The 2x's are sawed and I had some 1 inch boards too. I put the 2x's on the loader and stacked and stickered the boards and now to build that Veggie Stand the wife wants. That is what I like about sawing.

inventory on the stump like you have is the best kind, and good luck on the Veggie Stand , and don;t forget the pic of it ,I would like to see it :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

justallan1

I think for me it's remembering the things that my step father, my foster dad and his son-in-law had taught me when I was younger.
While none of the 3 have used a portable mill, all 3 were part responsible for the things I know today and would smile to come help out sawing. It just makes me feel good to use some of what a few folks have given me.
Allan

bandmiller2

Cfarm brings up a good point,the woods heal quickly.Partner and I heavily cut an area for logs and firewood,now 25 years later you can't tell we were in there.The best inventory is standing in the woods gaining girth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

m wood

nice picture you paint cfarm.  that is my lumber shopping experience as well(AND, not taking out my wallet helps).
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

I though about this for some time and I realized there are numerous things I like about sawing
but realized it's about the people as much as the sawing, so here are some of my thoughts:

this board and the fine folks who participate here,  it's a privilege for me to be able to correspond with folks close by in N.Y  or sawyers as far away as Australia or New Zealand;
Learning to be a sawyer and renewing my interest in general forestry;
Salvaging tree's that otherwise would be burned, buried or chipped;
Offering local materials to folks for their projects;
Having the ability to offer a somewhat unique service
by being portable.

DGD

petefrom bearswamp

The challenge of sawing oversized stuff.
sawed a 38" very ugly Eastern White pine log yesterday for a fellow.
Lots of chain saw whittling and much turning to make a polygon before getting some very wide ugly boards from it.
Second favorite is having a good whack of nice straight logs and no issues with the mill all day.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mmartone

The best thing about sawing a log to me is that I unplug from all other thoughts and just cut a piece of wood. I like making the lumber and seeing whats inside and all that other stuff too. I'm wound up all the time and dont sit well, this is just relaxing for me.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

SPD748

I love the sound of my old 2 stroke diesel along with the smell of fresh cut pine. Oh, the lumber that's stacking up isn't all that bad either  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Magicman

OK, somebody has to say it so I will. 

The logs are nice, the lumber can be awesome, and I have made many lasting friendships.  You guys are also super, but I really like the paychecks.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Sawdust in every exposed orifice, hair, eyes and pockets!  :)

Often times the wood is pretty amazing too.  ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2013, 05:06:22 PM
OK, somebody has to say it so I will. 

The logs are nice, the lumber can be awesome, and I have made many lasting friendships.  You guys are also super, but I really like the paychecks.   ;D

smiley_thumbsup    I new some one would :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Sawdust Lover on May 04, 2013, 08:19:10 PM
Yea, theres nothing like opening up a log to see whats inside. You never know what will come out of an old crooked log.

What a lucky mouse! How did you time that shot? :o
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

Pay checks are nice, well deserved, but whats better than the normal pay check is the tip on top of the standard fee,  this is what makes for total gratification!  A very satisified custormer pulling off the yard with a grin from truck door to door, can't forget the big wave as they drive away,  david

kelLOGg

If I may chime in again, I really like brushing off the sawdust to see the grain - thanks Peter Drouin for those pics - and smelling pine sawdust. My wife approached the mill as I was sawing pine and noticed the really strong pine scent. I could hardly smell it - am I getting too old to smell (okay, let's hear the jokes) or are we saturating/de-sensitizing our sense of smell?
Bob

drobertson

Ahh yea, the aroma of the differing species,  Just this morning, with the fresh air after another nice soaking rain, the sun peaking through the early morning tree tops, Christy and I were doing my only form of PT, walking, to the mill and back, I asked her can't you just smell that beautiful smell? she asks" which one? I said" " all the cedar and pine of course, just waiting so patiently for their next appointment on the mill bed, Her reply?  You better simmer down bubba, they will be here when you are ready,  doest'n stop me from planning! man it's like chomping at the bit,   the mill even spoke to me, (not really, I was the only one who could hear it)  it said, " lets go david" no time like the present,  I just had to shake my head and continue on past, waiting for the day, 

Cedarman

In no particular order.
I like the color pink and all its various shades.
I love cedar aroma.
I love answering the phone and hearing them say, "I am so glad you can make what I want, I have been looking everywhere".  Great to solve someone's problem and they love to pay me for the privilege.
I love building the business all these years.
I treasure the folks I meet on the forum and get to visit with and hunt their pigs.
See 2 sons dive in and take hold in the business.
Listening to a customer say they don't like Bill Clinton because Monica Lewinski is their best friend.
Getting to meet or talk with gobs of characters. (Like DanG, saying he will talk with the first person that calls after seeing his post on the forum. That was fun)
Knowing at one time we had cedar in all Wal-Marts and all Lowes stores in the country.  Knowing I can see my cedar in Disneyworld and Universal studios.
Having people send pictures of what they made from the cedar we sent them. Like the good wood workers on the forum, they do some great work also.
I learned to run the WM in a day, I am still learning to saw cedar to this day. And that is a pleasure.
Sawing cedar has given me a challenging career.
Happy sawing folks.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ET

Being one of the many new members and also new to saw milling, I almost feel like I could come to tears each time I fire up my mill. My 40 plus years of working a job I was good at but really didn't love is pale compared to the excitement I get just to load a log on the mill.  As redbeard put it , I love it.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Sawdust Lover

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 05, 2013, 07:24:53 PM
Quote from: Sawdust Lover on May 04, 2013, 08:19:10 PM

What a lucky mouse! How did you time that shot? :o
Bob
Bob, There were about 5 mice in the hole. By the time I got my camera the last one was headed for safety. Just good timeing I guess!

Magicman

I have sawed mice, flying squirrels, frogs, lizards, snakes, bats, and whatever else that I can not recall.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

by the most time these critters have left their home, but I suppose many have held up to keep their home, after the log turning and rolling around, dixie and missy have been on the move to run these critters arond the yard!   I have yet to run the blade through a live critter>  but there is always a first,

Tom L

the best thing I like about sawing is the diversity. it seems like every place I set up to saw is different and difficult.
every log is different and takes some thought about how to saw it. I have been meeting a lot of interesting people,
and I do enjoy figuring out tough situations and making them work. I seem to have put myself in these situations all my life. never seems to be the easy route. I have mentioned to a few people that I have wished this on myself when things are not going quite right. many of my peers are doing less complicated and stressed things in life, a  lot of them are doing much better than me because of it. (yet they have nothing of substance to show for it) at the end of the day it is nice to look at a large pile of finished product that I made, knowing that a hard situation was overcome to get there. to me there is nothing better than thinking of a better way and increasing productivity in the process.

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe someone has to say it again......driving out at the end of a day with a paycheck, my radio station on, the lumber and sawdust in my mirror,  and finally getting to finish my coffee and lunch.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodyone.john

The smell,the color,the patterns. The things I've made,the many things yet to make!Straight out wood voyuer!
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

scully

It took so long for me to get my mill . I had been around them for a very long time . The feeling I got everytime I saw that band tear into a log was pure excitement ! It still amazes me to see what I can create when I saw ! I admire and love the lifestyle and the people you meet ! It gives me a sense of balance or center . There is something pure and satisfying about milling ! This day in age with all the big corperate world rat race people looking for work ,getting big educations etc. It seems most lose site of what real skill and creativity are all about . I don't belong in that world ! I am much more comfortable covered in sawdust !
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!