iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grilled burgers

Started by sawguy21, May 03, 2013, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Beautiful warm day so decided to fire the new grill, only second time this year. I cranked it up with the lid closed till the thermometer read close to 825 then turned the burners on low. Slathered the grill with olive oil then lovingly laid down the lean burgers, closed the lid and let 'er rip for four minutes per side. A slab of Tillamook aged cheese went on just before they were done then on the bun with tomato, sweet onion, and a dab of relish. Doesn't get any better than that. Sorry,they were gone before I thought about pictures. Will try to do better next time. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Yup, definately grilling time again Sawguy!

My grill sits on the back porch, so I do some grilling throughout the year, but not much when it's really cold!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Paul_H

Hard to beat a bbq burger and the smell fills the neighbourhood.We keep the deepfryer beside the grill outside and cook up potato or Yam fries alongside.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

LeeB

I grilled up a couple of steaks the other night and was much dismayed to find my grill has rusted out in the bottom, only 7 years old.Time for a new one. Oh woe is me.  :'(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

Anyone have a really good burger on the grill recipe that is more than hamburger w salt and pepper? Preferably with a little fire in it. I have tried a few, just haven't found the right one yet. Thought about some chipolte in it. Cajun seasoning maybe. Veggies of some sort.

Compensation

Some guys I know opened a butcher shop and made this stuff called meat magic and now called blk&wyte. I mix that in the hamburger then some sweet baby rays BBQ sauce. Those turn out great. I wouldn't hesitate to try your favorite salsa with some liquid smoke to mix in your spicy stuff. I am just too much of a wuss for spicy. Pizza huts Buffalo sauce on their wings kill me if that says anything  :D
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

okmulch

We had some bison burgers the other day with last years canned jalopeno's chopped up in them. They were very good.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

sandhills

Kansas, okmulch beat me to it, I was gonna mention the jalopenos, I like a good smearing of horseradish on the bun also.
Chuck we moved this winter and our old house had a deck outside the patio doors so the grill sat right there all winter, just slide it open and throw it on  ;D.  We lost that and now I have to actually go outside to grill but I did gain a nice fireplace to warm up beside during grilling  :).

Ljohnsaw

I've got to watch my cholesterol so no red meat for me  :(

I've been making turkey burgers for years and I've got a simple recipe that even a guy from Montana (i.e. Beef, that's what's for dinner!) thought was pretty darn good.  He was VERY hesitant to take a bite  :D

I take a two pound package of ground turkey (NOT the extra lean), add about 3/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs (Progresso), about half a cup of Teriyaki sauce and 1/4 cup of dehydrated chopped onions (fresh would work too, but I'm usually in a hurry).  Make 1/4 pound burgers (slightly more than 1/2 cup measure).  I give them a shot of olive oil spray so they don't stick (one side before hit hits the grill and the other side while it's grilling).  Grill up some pineapple rings dipped in Teriyaki sauce and you don't need much else!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Paul_H

My wife puts Kraft Italian dressing in the meat then forms into patties.Tsgood

Al_Smith

We have a gas grill which I've rebuilt at least twice .Now it does okay but it's real hard to beat the taste of actual charcoal for grilling .

martyinmi

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 04, 2013, 06:26:47 PM
We have a gas grill which I've rebuilt at least twice .Now it does okay but it's real hard to beat the taste of actual charcoal for grilling .
Dear old uncle Al-
Everyone knows that real men do not use charcoal, we use lump! :D
And we NEVER use lighter fluid! ;)
.....Or gas grill's!!! :D :D :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thecfarm

I rebuilt our gas grill by removing all the guts and drilling some air holes and added some old screening and sorry marty,put the charcoal to it. I do have a charcoal starter. No lighter fluid for me either. I have not used that one yet this year. We have an outdoor fireplace that I use. It's a store brought one. I'm having a hard time cooking this year. Used it 3 times so far and I can not seem to get my meat rare and I do mean rare this year. I have many more to go.I'll get it right yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

It's hard to beat a good ole cholesterol-laden beef burger! We make two thin patties, put a generous amount of cheese in between and seal them together, More cheese melted on the outside, of course! We try to be careful what we eat, too, so we often make turkey burgers. Look up the recipe for Rachel Ray's Thai-licious sliders. I learned a trick for cooking turkey burgers, which tend to stick badly. First, I spray them with cooking spray. Then, you have to leave them on the grill at least 10 minutes before you try to flip them. Until they are cooked enough, they will stick. My favorite condiment for burgers (and a lot of other things!) Is Tabasco Chipotle sauce. This is much milder than regular Tabasco, and has a great flavor. If you make extra burgers for tomorrow or to freeze, only melt cheese on the ones you are going to eat right now. When you re-heat the leftovers, then add the cheese.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Al_Smith

Quote from: martyinmi on May 04, 2013, 09:37:20 PM
Dear old uncle Al-
Everyone knows that real men do not use charcoal, we use lump! :D
And we NEVER use lighter fluid! ;)
.....Or gas grill's!!! :D :D :D
Nephew just so you know the last I used charcoal I burnt in down myself out of hickory .Now that takes several hours and several "whistle pops " before the fire is ready but my oh my the taste is great .

martyinmi

I use my own lump, but I don't deliberately make it. If I happen to be burning some hickory or walnut in my OWB, I just scoop out a few shovelfuls of big coal chunks and put them in my bigger galvanized trash cans and make sure the lid is secured to extinguish them.
I don't go through that much anyway. Two big cans have lasted me nearly a year. In the winter months I just go and get a scoop shovel full of what ever I happen to be burning at the time from the OWB and toss it into the Kamado.

I will go on record here and say with confidence that I will NEVER use lighter fluid again! It doesn't seem to matter how far down you allow your coals to burn, you still get that nasty petroleum taste in your food. no_no 
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

It does impart a petrolium taste about like roasting a marshmellow with a Zippo lighter .Yuck !

Al_Smith

Now there you go nephew with that fancy wood cooker OWB .My humble old wood stove burns eveything to powder . 8)

drobertson

Not one single photo of what is probably the best darn thing known to the outdoors' man, a good ole grilled burger, this will change as soon as I replenish the charcoal supply, but just a side note, bought one of the charcoal chimneys back awhile for the dutch oven, but use it on every occassion when grilling, fast, no lighter fluid required, just a hand full of junk mail,  Now I'm waiting on Norm to post some of his cooking adventures, he never lets down those of us who need a lil insperation,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Yoopersaw

Quote from: Kansas on May 04, 2013, 10:44:56 AM
Anyone have a really good burger on the grill recipe that is more than hamburger w salt and pepper? Preferably with a little fire in it. I have tried a few, just haven't found the right one yet. Thought about some chipolte in it. Cajun seasoning maybe. Veggies of some sort.

The best burgers I've ever had.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Jalapeno-Cheeseburgers-with-Bacon-and-Grilled-Onions-232193    They do require some work, but make up for that with taste. 8)
For the white cheddar, I reccommend the Black Diamond brand.

okmulch

Instead of lighter fluid I use a looftlighter. It is also faster then waiting for the fluid to work..
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Magicman

Your burgers won't last long if.....

Meadows Miller gets in line.  That guy can eat.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Don't have time right now. I'll put up a pick of a grilled burger when I get to Indonesia. Burger grilled at home, just on my way to work. You cannot get a good burger anywhere else but the USA. It's always one of the first things I eat when I get home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Paul_H

We grilled up some nice rib steaks over wood coals this afternoon in the back yard.Made a bed of coals with Birch and applewood.Tom Cadenhead and me used to talk about this kind of grilling often and I know he would have approved.

Tom had a way with words and he could make you hungry again even if you just ate.

woodhick

Have not tried them on the grill yet but have done them several times in skillet on stove.  Take 1 lb. ground beef and 1lb. Jimmy Dean Sage sausage. ( I have used the Hot sausage also)  Put in large mixing bowl.  Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sweet pickle relish.  Mix together with hands like you would a meat loaf.  Then pat out into patties.  Fry in skilled until done.  Wanting to try them on grill but have been too busy lately. 
James.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

pappy19

There was a butcher shop in Phoenix that used chopped bacon and mixed it with lean beef burger. Gave it an unbelievable smokey flavor and super moist. You could do the same thing only make sure the bacon is chopped pretty fine or it won't cook in the middle. I also do an A-1 burger once in a while; just mix some A-1 into the meat and then cook it on the grill. I had an uncle that would not cook a burger unless it was 50% fresh sausage and 50% ground beef. Also a great burger but different.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Al_Smith

Fresh sausage AKA ground whole pork makes a wonderfull burger .

grweldon

The last two times I've grilled burgers, I've been using ground round, 85/15 and been generously sprinking them with "Weber's Steak and Chop" seasoning blend on each side while cooking.  When they are just done, I turn off the heat and put on a thick slice of provalone and let it melt.  Delicious stuff!  If you want a bit of kick, just sprinkle on a dusting of ground cayenne.  If you prefer more of a smoked taste, try sprinkling on a bit of smoked paprika after cooking.  Mmmmm...  I think we'll grill burgers this weekend!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

I'm going out with a flash light and start grilling!!!!   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Grilled some pork tenderloin

I let the grill preheat until the temp gauge pinned then turned to low. Twenty minutes later off the grill and on the plate. I think I could have shortened the cooking time by turning the heat up a tich and given the meat a crispier finish. Still, it was Dang good. Montreal steak spice gave it a nice zip.
Edit: Hey, the picture thingy worked  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Looks good enough to eat,Roy.  :)

grweldon

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 09, 2013, 11:35:39 PM
Montreal steak spice gave it a nice zip.

I've used the Montreal Steak spice mix also.  It IS good.  You should try the Weber's mix that I mentioned... Steak and Chop mix.  Also very good.  It has a bit of a zip but it's from black pepper...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!