iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table Makeover

Started by Jeff, May 02, 2013, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This spring, Tammy and I built a divider wall between our kitchen and office area. This gave us a space we did not really have before to locate a small table. We had one in the cabin, but it was an El-cheapo table with a particle board and veneer top. It was a drop leaf, and the hardware to support the drop leaves had ripped out of the particle board long ago.  I have no way to make tops here with my tools at hand, so asked Thee Bob Pasbuild if we could commission him to make us a new top and 4 chair seats. I was initially looking for ambrosia maple, but Bob was out of that, but had some Spalted Maple.  I like Spalted Maple too. :)

So, here is a picture of the table before, and some with it's new top. Eventually, I am going to build a new rustic base and chairs for the top and seats to go on, but for now, I think they look just fine on the old base and chairs. The old table was worse than it looked in the photo. And the new looks better than it does in the photos. :)

Thanks Bob!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lud

Great job.  Very clean and the spalting is sweet!  I 'm sure it will give good service. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

DanG

Thank your lucky stars he was out of ambrosia.  That spalted stuff is astounding! :o 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jay C. White Cloud

Great stuff... :o 8) :o...love spalted Maple!!!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

pigman

I can't believe The Bob built you a table top and chair seats out of decaying wood. :o They do look great though. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fishpharmer

The only thing that would make it look better is a bowl of grits. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

That looks some nice. I just about to go to MI and sit down at that table with a cup of coffee.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

Beautiful table and chair seats. The black table frame and chair frames compliment the spalt lines wonderfully.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

nice work Jeff! good choice on the lumber too!  looks great
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Quote from: Tree Feller on May 03, 2013, 10:24:36 AM
Beautiful table and chair seats. The black table frame and chair frames compliment the spalt lines wonderfully.

It is actually a deep dark forest green, but it sure does look black in the photos. :)

hackberry jake

Amazing wood and amazing work.  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Really nice.

Hey Jeff, have you ever posted the member wood square thingy? That would be interesting to see. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jeff

Not sure what you mean. 

RynSmith

I'm guessing the porch ceiling?

Jeff

I would think that, but I would also think if he knew about that, he would also know there is a multitude of photos of it as well. So, I'm not sure.

pasbuild

The tree that this wood came from is well traveled and has deep FF roots, member Reddog had a tree removal job somewhere in the Lansing area, on his way through the U P he drop off a trailer load for me now some of it gets sent right back down state to a third member,  small world.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

That's quite a makeover Jeff. Beautiful wood Pasbuild.

Looks like a booth in a high end cafe. So I'll order a coffee, cranberry muffin, and a sub sandwich for starters. ;D

I like your Forest Service sign, 'Administrative Site'. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Jeff- That's kind of what I was asking. I haven't seen them. :-\  Only heard about them from another member...
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

It's about time for this thread to be brought back up.  ;D  The ceiling.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18953.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Now that I look at it, I am remembering...one more thing to do. Thanks C. :)

T Welsh

The maple goes good with the pine! Tim

Jeff

That's wall is cedar.  :)

thecfarm

And one thing to remember with the ceiling tile,it does not have to look like a million bucks. Mine looks like it was done by a 3rd grader and Jeff still put it up on his ceiling. My wood working skills stops when the tree hits the forest floor.  :D

Magicman

Where oh where can THE C FARM be?

There it is, in the lower right of the picture.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

See,I did not lie about the 3rd grade part.  :D  It's the thought that counts.

SwampDonkey

Just finished a table cloth on the loom, but that table should never be covered up. That just wouldn't be right. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!