iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak or some other oak?

Started by MSSawmill, May 01, 2013, 10:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

On a pond bank in central Mississippi...

We've got several kinds of oak trees around including post oak, water oak, red oak, white oak, pin oak, and prob a few others. Pretty sure this one is a red oak, but I'd like to have a few other opinions.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

mesquite buckeye

That would be a young oak.  ;DGot any acorns, buds etc.? 8) 8) :P :P
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

OneWithWood

My guess is Post oak or Pin Oak.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

gwilson

Based on the leaves and bark I would say that this is a young Northern Red Oak (or Quercus rubra).

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I woulda guessed red oak to. But now seeing WDH's link it seems they cant a little on the tip and the base of the leaf is not red oak'ish. Bark in the VT photo looks identical. Danny knows his oaks. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I have seen a few oaks in my time  :).

Oak species diversity goes down as you move North and West.  In Georgia, there are 20 different Red oak species. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Oak,in Maine only 8,and Nothern Red Oak is the only one that grows all over the state and the only one I have on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

I have two questions: 1) Where in Mississippi is that located? and 2) Is the tree wild or was it planted?

My first thought was cherrybark oak (I think I see a bluish pubescence on the underside of the leaves), but Nuttall oak is certainly a possibility if the undersides are hairless. Unless you live in the Delta or right along the Mississippi River in the southern half of the state, Nuttall is unlikely, unless the tree was planted, in which case the possibility of Nuttall goes back up, since it's a common ornamental. Simple enough? ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Dodgy L.

There are healthy numbers of it in Eastern Arkansas so I know it is found up North of Mississippi.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Dodgy Loner

I know, Jay. Nuttall Oak mostly grows in the Mississippi River watershed. Most of Mississippi does not drain into the Mississippi River. I live in Mississippi, so I know where in the state you can expect to find Nuttall Oak growing wild :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Jay C. White Cloud

Dodgy, do you think the Mississippi has some bearing on the species and it's distribution, I have always wondered about that?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

SwampDonkey

I would, since the native range of pecan is there along the river valley. We see it here with some species of hardwood along the Saint John, and not found in other Maritime provinces.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

I'm not sure, Jay. If you look at a map of its range, it shows the tree extending all the way across Mississippi and into Alabama. I have found it to be very rare outside of the Mississippi River drainage. I remember working at the White River National Wildlife Refuge in SW Arkansas, and Nuttall oak was one of the most common red oaks around. They grew really big - I remember seeing some that were 5' in diameter and 140' tall. But the only wild Nuttalls I have seen within an hour and a half of where I live were in counties that are adjacent to the Mississippi River. Cherrybark oak is much more common in low areas throughout most of Mississippi. You even find it on the upland sites.

WDH

I don't see the distinct two toned color of cherrybark, and the bark does not fit cherrybark for a tree that size.  The acorns would tell the tale.

I have found wild nuttall oak in the Florida parishes of Louisiana and East Texas. 

wetdog

Thank You Sponsors!