iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red (false morel) mushrooms

Started by Bibbyman, May 01, 2013, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've eaten red mushrooms for as long as I can remember.  So has my family and local natives.  Now experts say they are poisonous causing liver damage and even death.

Are their others out there that ignore the warnings and eat the red mushroom?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Bibby, these links say that you and your family are either lucky or are preparing them in such a way that the poison is released while cooking.  There are no "antidotes" for mushroom poisoning. Hospitals can only try to treat the damage from the toxins.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/mushrooming/poisonous-mushrooms

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/false-morels
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scottyblue

Never had them.I only eat puffballs:)
Scotty

Jeff

They can get very big up here and we call them beef steaks. People eat them, but I won't as I've always been told that certain individuals get sick from it.  I don't know if it is the individual mushroom or person that is the reason, but its not worth the risk. Mushroom poisoning is a very nasty way to go.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/false-morels

"Human connections:  Because these mushrooms have definitely caused deaths, we cannot recommend that you eat them. If you nevertheless choose to do so, they should be thoroughly cooked in a well-ventilated room, since their toxin (a chemical nearly the same as rocket fuel) is driven off by heat and goes into the air."

They also say frying food in a cast iron skillet is bad for you. And there are three times the weekly allowance of eggs in the picture.
Sawing since '94

SPIKER

The BOOK that I have lists 2 distinct varieties of the Red Shrooms one is TOXIC and the other is NOT, they are nearly identical and even well know hunters can confuse the two.   Therefore they say not to eat either one.   They can be told apart by the interior of them (or under scientific tests) and I think one other method (book is at the farm and only typing from memory on it.)    As Jeff said around here and in the book they are often called Beef steaks or brain morels.   Then we have some "Colorful Nicknames" for all different types of them ::) :D.

Also the book mentioned preparation methods that would minimize the dangers if one got mixed in but if just one was there many bad things can happen.
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

Bibby, seems like you got it figured out. Thin slicing and frying in an open pan should do the job, as monomethylhydrazine is volatile, and the proximity to the open cut of thin sliced pieces should enhance the toxin's exit.

There are many foods that will kill you, but if prepared properly are fine, including cassava and many types of lima beans, etc.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bibbyman

We have a variation called elephant ear. Not as common as the one pictured.  Looks like a clump of red ears.
Sawing since '94

mesquite buckeye

Do you eat those too? smiley_eek_dropjaw

Hey Bibby, is eating all  those poison mushrooms why you are always smiling? smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!