iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wrapping Blades

Started by Lucman, May 01, 2013, 04:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucman

How in the heck do you wrap the band saw blades without cutting yourself, is there a link here maybe a video, before I whack my fingers off? Lol

Wrapping to throw in truck not to send back to factory
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

alecs

I've always stepped on one part of the blade and twisted on the opposite end, until the band coils up into a nice little circle.  But I'm thinking more along the lines of a machine shop metal cutting band, which is not as wide or as long.  Wear gloves is one idea!

Lucman

Yeah, had gloves on and it got me on the wrist..lol need longer gloves
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

drobertson

there is a technique, not that hard to learn, gloves and the proper motion, might go on youtube to see an example, once you get it it is a done deal,   gloves, gloves, gloves, unless you have stock in band-aid, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

Best way is get someone to show you. 

wwsjr

Go to WM website, blades, videos. Greg Baire and Jake Mooney has video posted how to uncoil and coil blades safely.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dgdrls

Quote from: Chuck White on May 01, 2013, 04:40:03 PM
Here's some info that will help you!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40175.0.html

Chuck is a master at folding those blasted things!!  ;)

I got all balled-up and went to the foot method, figured I bleed enough making mistakes no point bleeding more
if I can avoid it :D

DGD

Tom the Sawyer

I hold the blade across my palms, facing up at 10 and 2, step through with one foot, turn palms inward and cross, step out.  The way I was shown, it always works, but a dulll blade can still shred your jeans if you're not careful.  I'm gonna try to learn the method shown in the video, looks safer as long as you get it on the first flip.  Either way, wear gloves!!
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

OlJarhead

The flat box doesn't require it ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Dave Shepard

Just make sure you tie them after you fold them. I once had two bands sitting on the seat of the truck and hit a pretty good bump in the road. I figure it was a fair rendition of a wildcat fight when they opened up, and I was right in the middle of it. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Practice with a fan belt first. ;) Once you get the hang of that then you just need to add the extra force for the saw blades.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

I went to pick my blades up the other day. The guy that does them was talking and he coiled a blade to compare it to size with mine. Man,that guy did it so quick and easy and just about perfect too. I can do it,but it takes me a few seconds to get it. I mentioned how he made that look easy. He's been doing it for probably more than 30 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MSSawmill

And for the next million dollar question, do you all call it "throwing" a blade?
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

SAnVA

Best wear gloves coiling or uncoiling, once you learn it is easy , I do it with teeth up,  and if I must say, I do a pretty good job of it, but please don't watch me uncoil one, I promise you that isn't a very pretty sight!

Magicman

Personally, I call it coiling and uncoiling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I learned how to do it from an experienced sawyer; teeth up, hold the gloved hands just so, flick it down and curl the hands inward. That's an art and it takes practice to do it smoothly. But that's only the start. When you've got that part down you should end up with a coil hanging below each hand, and a third coil kind of flopping around beneath them kind of parallel to the ground.

Here's the important part. Right hand coil gets placed on top of the left hand coil and then the fingers of the right hand wrap around the two coils. Left hand reaches down and folds the third coil up on top of the first two. Grip them all in one hand and always tie them beside your hand (I use rebar wire).

You don't actually have to do them in that particular order. The important thing is to be consistent. Always fold them in exactly the same way, and be sure to put that tie wire at the top. When you go to unfold them the tie wire orients you to how you were holding the blade when you folded it. Unfolding then is just a matter of reversing what you did to fold them. The whole process is completely under control.

If you don't put a tie wire on, or if it falls off, find a lawn or a pile of sawdust and toss the blade at it.

The guy who taught me insisted I do it his way, every single time (I was running his mill for him). That way no matter who folded a particular blade, we could both unfold it safely.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Plus, at blade change time, you can entertain the customer, bystanders, or off loaders.  ;D  I always tell a new off loader that I coil the first blade and it will be his job to coil the rest.   smiley_devil   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 02, 2013, 07:39:36 AM
Plus, at blade change time, you can entertain the customer, bystanders, or off loaders.  ;D  I always tell a new off loader that I coil the first blade and it will be his job to coil the rest.   smiley_devil   smiley_dizzy

As WDH would say....You're a bad man.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It get's their attention.   ;D 

I did have one teenage kid that was eager to learn, so I gave him the secret.  He could hardly wait until the next one dulled and he could flip them right up.  He was also a good worker.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Great idea. Blade handling should be part of the application process. Along with, do you have your own
First Aid Kit?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I bet that teenager will grow up to be quite a good adult too. Hardworker and a good person.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

orion388

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 01, 2013, 07:18:11 PM
Just make sure you tie them after you fold them. I once had two bands sitting on the seat of the truck and hit a pretty good bump in the road. I figure it was a fair rendition of a wildcat fight when they opened up, and I was right in the middle of it. :o

now thats funny... kinda like shoot up here in this tree with the raccoon in it... one of us needs some relief!
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

francismilker

I'd rather coil a thousand of them than to uncoil 1 of them.  I've had that little band climb all over me and almost depants/deshirt me many times while trying to ever so slowly unwind one of them.  I've got to the point to just toss it out in front of me and let it uncoil itself!! ;D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!