iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a trailer Saturday

Started by hackberry jake, May 01, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

She needs a new deck. I already have 1.5x7x16 dry white oak to put on her. The only drawback is the mobile home axles, but everything looks to be in good shape... well except for the boards of course. I just need to re-deck it, wire up lights, install two more wheels and tires (it came with 6), and repack the wheel bearings. Don't know if I've ever seen a deck in this bad of shape.

Best part of all is I bought it for scrap price and pulled it home  8)
I have always wanted a flat top trailer to haul logs on. No fenders to worry about. Heck, I might even put a fresh coat of paint on her.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sawguy21

I hope you didn't drag that too far, it certainly has seen better days. Price was right.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

Its a beauty  8)

Most mobile home wheels come with electric brakes - and that's a good thing  ;)

Magicman

That was a nice find.  Flat top and no fenders.....just doesn't get much better than that.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

francismilker

That new deck might be better able to face the weather if it is treated with some "petroleum byproduct" after installation. ;D  Good potential in that find you have there!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

pineywoods

From the pics, looks like brakes on both axles. While you have the hubs off to repack the bearings, clean and adjust the brakes. The deck looks typical of the stuff neighbors bring to me. PT syp that lasts a couple of years. Put that white oak on there, park it out in the hot sun and soak it down with 50/50 mixture of used crankcase oil and diesel. The only problem with m/h axles is the tires. They leak around the rims. Put 14 inch tubes in them and they will outlast you.

Good find..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

buzzegray

Strip it, do all of the above,and paint it. Weld on a bunch of ti downs.Treat deck wood before and after (both sides and end grain)install.
Add a winch and you will have a trailer anyone would be proud of. Good find.

hunz

Looks like a good buy if you got it for scrap value. I bought a tri axle 10ton 20' flatbed gooseneck off a guy last year for $1200. She needed some work but now is looking brand new. After white oak deck boards, new lights, paint, break away system, and new brake assemblies on 4 axles she does all I ask her to. The one thing I did learn to look out for when buying these old, been out of service a while trailers, is if the electric brakes are salvageable or not. In my case, 2 of the 3 axles had brakes on them. All 4 brakes assemblies were so rusted the pivoting arm with the magnet wouldn't budge, and all 4 magnets were inoperable ( a 12v lead to them yielded nothing, no humming, no grabbing). Needless to say I had to drop $225 on 4 new shoe backing plate assemblies. The old ones were welded on to the axles, so I had to torch them off, weld the new ones on. The toughest part about installing the new ones was getting them absolutely square on the axle so they set in the drums right. I now have a fantastic log/ pallet/hay hauling trailer for $1600, that does all I ask of it. I wish you the best on the rebuild!

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

hackberry jake

They are both brake axles. Or at least theres drums and wires hangin out of them  ;D I will spend more on fixing the brakes than I did on the trailer im sure. I hear dexter has hub assemblies for $80 a piece with brakes on them, but then I will have to come up with four wheel/tires since they use normal wheels. I havent had time to do anh thing with it yet but im excited to start  8) I love projects. I paid $150 for the trailer, I will probably spend another $500 or so at least to get her road worthy but it will still be a good reliable trailer for pretty cheap. I think it could easily haul 10, 000 lbs. Its made mainly of 8" ibeam.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Way to go Jake, don't know you, but just from reading your post, you ain't afraid of much,  this will be an awsome trailor for you,  and NO Fenders 8)  just terrific, good buy, it will be well worth the effort when complete,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mikeb1079

jake you're gonna love that flat deck trailer.  i have a lighter duty one that i bought from a friend whose father made it out of an old vw golf.  it's a 6x12 and can only haul about 1500-2k lbs but it's sooo handy.  i use it all the time for logs, drywall, plywood, etc etc.  just throw it on there and strap it down and away you go!   running-doggy running-doggy running-doggy running-doggy
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

thecfarm

jake and hunz,you both did good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GDinMaine

I have been looking for a trailer like that ... can't find one.  Good for you to rescue that from the scrap yard.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

Forget about treating the deck.  Just use some of your hedge.  Of course, you'll double the weight.  However many tie-down hooks you mount on it, you'll wish you had more.  Hope getting a license isn't too much hassle.  What are you going to pull it with?  Looking forward to the "after" pics.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

roghair

wow, big trailer! You should have driven faster home with it to get rid of the old decking; would have saved you some time  ;D Good luck!
built a sawmill

kelLOGg

This thread should make a good before and after story. Keep us posted.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

millwright

I've made several trailers from mobile home axles and tires and they work real well, but I agree with the earlier post, put tubes in the tires to save yourself a lot of trouble latter on.

hackberry jake

Got the old boards off the top  8)

pineywoods

DanG, Jake, that thing is built like a tank. You gonna need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it empty  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

Dad leaves his 3/4 ton ford at the house and I am thinking about buying my grandpas 1 ton chevy. But as high as this thing sits, I may just sell it to a buddy of mine that has a lifted 3/4 ton chevy. I had to turn a 7" drop hitch upside down to pull it with my toyota.  ;D

Magicman

It surely looks better with it's clothes boards off.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Handy Andy

If you have someone who builds trailers in your area, ask them about changing from the trailer house wheels to the standard wheels.  They make parts for a change over.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

hackberry jake

The more I look at it, the more it starts looking like a portable solar kiln frame  ???

Sixacresand

Nice heavy, sturdy built trailer.  Put some boards on it, some tie downs anchors, lights and a tag and you re good to go.  Good deal.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!