iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Sweetgum

Started by dboyt, May 01, 2013, 07:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

Sweetgum doesn't seem to get a lot of respect (and I thought of Magic Man when I milled this one), but it came down in the Joplin, MO tornado a couple of years ago.  It had some spalting on the ends, but nice blue-gray color to the wood.  At 8' long and 36" dia at the big end, it was a real wrestling match, but worth it.  To turn it, I improvised a tow strap and farm jack.  It yielded over 350 bd ft, and took the better part of an afternoon to mill.  Only three sheet rock screws. One of these days, I'm going to get a hydraulic log turner.  Once I got everything lined out, the mill had no problem with it.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

I can think of very few things worse than Sweetgum, sheetrock screws, and hydraulic-less turning.  ;D

If that was the butt log, apparently it was a yard tree with those limbs.  Plans for the lumber ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

dboyt, in my limited experience the cant hook will work way better ,after, you release the log clamps. ;D

pineywoods

Looks like another good candidate for a pineywoods turner/clamp.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: pineywoods on May 01, 2013, 10:02:27 AM

And a Logrite Cant Hook

Maybe the Megahook? http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/Megahook

Herb

Finn1903

Quote from: pineywoods on May 01, 2013, 10:02:27 AM

shamelss plug! nice
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

pineywoods

I think I know, but I'll ask anyway. Did you quarter saw it ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

drobertson

Mercy sakes Dave! I'm just kinda speechless, thinking I would get the camera man to help ;D nice pic!  ready to see the finish products,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Greg Brown

That's a nice hat you got there.  It looks just like one I have.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

MSSawmill

But what are you going to do with sweetgum? I didn't think they were even good for firewood?!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

WDH

Looks like that sweetgum has brought a smile to your face  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 01, 2013, 08:38:06 PM

We need a "GRUNT" smiley with a hernia and hemorrhoids showing. :D

That's a Big Gum.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Tom has a picture somewhere of a really nice sweetgum table that proves that it is in fact good for something.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 01, 2013, 08:46:25 PM
Quote from: WDH on May 01, 2013, 08:38:06 PM

We need a "GRUNT" smiley with a hernia and hemorrhoids showing. :D

That's a Big Gum.

Don't think Jeff would approve it. :'(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

pineywoods

Quote from: 5quarter on May 01, 2013, 10:28:36 PM
Tom has a picture somewhere of a really nice sweetgum table that proves that it is in fact good for something.  ;)

quarter sawn sweetgum, air dried, poly finish

dboyt

The "camera man" was a tripod.  I don't think it would have helped much.  Clamps barely kept it from rolling back.  They didn't make much difference in turning.  After I gave up trying to turn it with a cant hook, I used a hook on a strap and used a farm jack to turn it.  Piece of cake.  Plan is to make several tables to donate to the city of Joplin, since it came down during the 2011 tornado.

mesquite buckeye

Good deal from a good guy. 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

customsawyer

I think you done good, getting the job done with what you have to work with.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

millwright

Looks like a small excavator sitting in the background on your pic, that would be easier than the high lift jack?

dboyt

Quote from: millwright on May 02, 2013, 07:36:03 PM
Looks like a small excavator sitting in the background on your pic, that would be easier than the high lift jack?
That's an old International 2-1/2 ton truck with a logging grapple.  It will be a good tool for handling logs as soon as I get the blown Detroit Diesel engine repaired/replaced.  Another project for another day.

WDH

I am with Jake.  I think that you done good, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

But where's the wood?  ???

BTW I have a log much like that except with known metal in it. I'll probably make some thick slabs and/or RR ties from it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!