iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Project. I love Northern White Cedar.

Started by Jeff, April 30, 2013, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This past weekend's project is probably going to take me a couple of weeks if it don't stop raining. I started refinishing the log siding on the house. After ten years it was looking pretty sad in places. This year will be the tenth annual Forestry Forum pig roast and I want to have the place spruced up. Here is a before and after photo of the part of the house I have competed.  Started with the pressure washer, which took awhile, then a day to dry, then a good brooming to loosen up the residue stuck to the wood from the power wash, then stain with Sikkens natural.  :)  I have 3/4's of the house pressure washed, an about a third of it stained now.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It is always nice when the fruits of your labor produce instant gratification.  That really looks good.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Wow, that's some transformation Jeff.

Really looks nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

Looking good  8) 8)  I like vinyl  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

You did a fine job there Jeff. Good for another 10 pig roasts at least. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

corley, what do you use sawing up those vynil? 10 degree ? or less?

looks great boss.

beenthere

Does look great. Good as new again.

Curious, what are the vertical streaks on the right end??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

That is a wire trellis that the clematis grow on. :)

loggah

Jeff, That looks real nice, our cabin is hard pine ,i think i would have to sandblast it to clean it up ! :-[ :-[ Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Corley5

WDH

Very nice, Boss, very nice.  You do good work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LAZERDAN

Did you use Sikkens the first time also?  One or 2 coats , I also have to get motivated

WmFritz

That siding looks good as new again.  :o I've used Thompsons wood preservative on my rough sawn cedar since I built the house in '88. It's a lot of work but, it sure looks nice for a year after I oil it. By year two the wood starts to dull. Year three I do it all over again.
   The last few years I've thought about trying a different product that I didn't have to re-apply every other year. May have to take a closer look at  Sikken.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Norm

It looks really nice Jeff but after having western red cedar on my last house I'll never have to pressure wash again...I love brick!

Jeff

Hey, I was all for the let it go until its dark look like cedar gets. I think that is a good look too, and once it is fully oxidized, no more washing and staining maintenance.  Tammy does not want that look, so, I do what I must do. :D

thecfarm

I like the bright look too. As long as someone else is doing it.  :D  It does look good Jeff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

There's always aluminum siding. I remember an episode of "All in the Family" where Archie got talked into putting aluminum siding on a brick house. To get out of the contract, one of his approaches with the help of the Jeffersons and Irene was to claim he was infirm. :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

loggah

Jeff, The spring honey-do list sometimes gets a bit long !!! ;D but guys like us have to ocassionally do things we dont want to , to satisfy the ladies we dont deserve to have to stay with us !!!!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lowpolyjoe

Wow looks great.  Never woulda thought that could be restored so well  looking at the first pic

Jeff

I finished the staining of the house this weekend. I have some other things like the deck rail and other cedar accessories that need some attention, but glad to be finished with the biggest project.  I brought a big cedar post around to make a stand for Tammy's front door greeter, and also to make a more proper mount for our unique doorbell switch that Paul_h gave me several years ago. :)

Warbird

SwampDonkey

I like the bug.  :) Had a laugh at the bear wiping his feet. :D

Corley5

Thank You Sponsors!