iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WOOD MIZER LT35 Manuel ARE THEY ANYGOOD?

Started by Larrywoodsaw, April 29, 2013, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrywoodsaw

I just bought one on my way to bc to pick it up. Anybody here own one can tell me how they are??  Thanks

dgdrls

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase 8)

No question as to the build quality and company support.

There are plenty of WM sawyers here who will weigh in shortly even if they
don't run a 35, I understand there are many common parts and systems used across the 28 to 40 series

Best
DGDrls

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Larrywoodsaw.   :)  Apparently you have already done your homework, so congratulations on the new sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Larrywoodsaw,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the sawmill? Going to need a Logrite cant dog or peavey. They are a sponsor on the left. A manual mill is ALOT of work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ST Ranch

Welcome Larry - I assume you are picking it up in BC Canada? and if so, do you mind my asking where you bought it - If it is any where near the East Kootenay area Southeastern BC {Cranbrook, Fernie, etc} and if you are going by, I'd be happy to show you my manual LT 40 and share some ideas. My second mill was an LT30 and they all work great for me.  AS other will tell you, once you get it aligned and some new blades to get started, hopefully you will be off and running. Otherwise good luck   

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

DR_Buck

If it's orange and says Wood-Mizer on it, then it's good.     ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larrywoodsaw

Thanks everyone!! I'm really excited to go pick it up. I live close to Drayton valley alberta and bought my lt 35 from the wood mizer store on the island. I have 5 logging truck loads of spruce to cut up in my spare time. I made the mistake last year and bought a woodland mill and well let's just say it hasn't worked out very good. So this I decided to pay the extra money and get a good mill and everyone out here runs wood mizers. I hope all goes good. 

Magicman

Don't worry about the WM, just load the wagon.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You are gonna need a whack of stickers  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Knute

I have an LT28 which is much like the 35. It is a very good mill.

YellowHammer

I wouldn't worry about the mill...It'll be fine...But how's your back? :D
Congratulations, it'll be a good one  8) 8).
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larrywoodsaw

I will post some pictures when I get home and start cutting.  ;D

scully

What I like about the LT35 is the bed ! same as it's big brother ! I got to mill a popler with one and was very impressed with how well it cut ! I wish they put Honda motors on them but thats just me talkin . Great mill for the price point ! Welcome to the forum these guys are great !
I bleed orange  .

bill m

Don't listen to any of these people ,they don't know what they are talking about. That thing is junk! Drop it off at my house and I'll take care of it` ;D ;D ;D
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ocklawahaboy

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the orange steel.  I found out the milling with a manual is pi work.  It takes 3.14 times longer than expected.

dboyt

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the mill.  Sounds like you are going from a hobby mill to something for more serious cutting.  I also run a manual mill, and am always looking for ways to take some of the work out handling logs.  For me, turning big logs is the hardest part, but you'll find ways.  This thread might give you a few ideas: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,65605.0.html.  Good luck, and let us know what you think.  From what I've read spruce can be a really tough wood to cut.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WDH

You will need a LogRite Megahook.  A manual miller's friend. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

steve marek

weclome to forum after the frist cut there no turning back you will like it :) :)
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

samandothers

Welcome to the forum Larry!

I really like my LT35 manual with log deck package.  I am not using it for production or I would go to hydraulic as I am slow.  For what I need it is great!  I like the Simple set works as it is easy to set up and use.  I normally load with my tractor but have used winch and cable from the deck package to 'crank' a log to the deck when my tractor would not pick it up.   The turner is great on larger logs especially since I work by myself over 95% of the time.   The Koehler 25 hp engine has been very reliable.  Sometimes the choke will start to close a bit and I can tell by the engine running a bit rich. This is not often and easily corrected by pushing in the knob.

I am glad I made the choice I did!

Larrywoodsaw

Thanks everyone. Great info and site this is. I'm on the ferry right now to bc island and tomorrow morning I get to pick it up. I got the log deck package ,15 blades ,and a peavey log cant I should be all ready to go 8)

samandothers

Very similar package I have, I got the Logrite cant hook versus a peavy.  Safe travels and let us know how it goes and post some pictures.

Larrywoodsaw

2400 kms in two days. I'm played out!!! But lt35 is home now.

dgdrls

Quote from: Larrywoodsaw on May 03, 2013, 01:44:55 AM
2400 kms in two days. I'm played out!!! But lt35 is home now.

Glad to hear your trip went well.   Loom forward to photo's

Be sure to add to the list here

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66111.0.html

samandothers

Well I am glad it was a good round trip.  Without pictures it did not happen!

woodweasel

I have a Lt 35 manual with the deck package and I love it! don't know what everybody's talking about their backs! The  winch makes loading and turning the cant relatively easy! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!